What's new

What Zenith boar brush to buy?

I really like the small plastic handled zeniths, they lather Proraso cream fantasically well out of the box, and as an added bonus float in the sink.

I don't think it floats anymore. Lol

20200820_174500.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
All of my Zenith boars (with the exception of the unbleached boar) have been plenty soft and user friendly right out of the box. That's not to say they didn't break in over time and become better brushes as I used them.

Semogue SOC.jpg

My Semogue SOC boar, which I like okay and use on occasion, took forever to break in. It seemed like it would never get there, but finally it did. In the photo it's brand new.

6-30-20.SOC.Mistura.New.640.JPG7-16-20.Mistura.Vitos.FOCS.640.JPG7-31-20.Mistua&Boar.Two Semogues.SOC.640JPG.JPG

In the Department of Thread Hijacking: This butterscotch ^ is the Semogue SOC Mistura (mixed boar and badger). The brush was delightful right out of the box. Still, it's broken in a good bit through use and become even better. As you can see, the knot is a good size but smaller than the knot of the SOC boar.

I face lather exclusively.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Get a couple of the aluminium handled ones, they are tough and will not smash. As stated that knot is a beauty.:001_wub:
I should clarify, I took a hacksaw and hammer to the handle. I intentionally broke the handle to remove the knot. I have plans to restore a vintage handle using the knot. If I didn't have a vintage handle project, I would have purchased the aluminum handle version.

I should clarify, I took a hacksaw and hammer to the handle. I intentionally broke the handle to remove the knot. I have plans to restore a vintage handle using the knot. If I didn't have a vintage handle project, I would have purchased the aluminum handle version.

Are you removing the plastic collar from the knot or are you using it like that?

Pretty interested in doing a rehandle but the way the collar is set looks much different than an Omega.

Are you removing the plastic collar from the knot or are you using it like that?

Pretty interested in doing a rehandle but the way the collar is set looks much different than an Omega.
Not sure. I've used an Omega and I agree it's very different. I do not know if I will ruin the plug by removing the collar. First time using a Zenith.

Not sure. I've used an Omega and I agree it's very different. I do not know if I will ruin the plug by removing the collar. First time using a Zenith.

Either way, thanks for finding out this bit of information for posterity. Wouldn't have known otherwise that the collar's fused with the plug.

Good luck with the restoration!

Either way, thanks for finding out this bit of information for posterity. Wouldn't have known otherwise that the collar's fused with the plug.

Good luck with the restoration!

Took more effort than an Omega knot, but I didn't ruin the knot. The black collar is just that, a collar. It is not a cup like an Omega.

20200825_091243.jpg

I pulled out an old Omega this week and followed the "Marco" instructions to a tee. Wow, had some fantastic shaves. Very curious to try a Zenith.

Top Bottom