What's new

What Zenith boar brush to buy?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a good many Zenith boars. The ones I like best have a loft of 57mm or lower. Sometimes the loft height described by the vendor turns out to be several mm lower when I measure it.

8-9-20.UnbleachedZenithBoar.Vitos.FOCS.640.JPG

One of my current but new favorites in the Zenith boar department is a too tall unbleached. Pictured above, it's a very nice knot in an okay but cheap plastic handle. A link to the vendor is below.

zenith-unbleached-bristle-olive-wood-handle-506u-xse.jpg

I have this unbleached Zenith in transit, having looked for a second unbleached for a number of months until finally finding this ^ one. I'm excited to know it's on the way to me.

Zeniths.2.Wood.640.4-18.JPG

Both of these smallish Zenith boars are surprisingly nice to use. These are good examples of excellent brushes which didn't cost a lot, but hit way harder than you'd expect considering their size and cost. I really like using these two. The handles have, in my hand, great ergonomics.

Zeniths.All.Boars.640.9-27-18.JPG

It's hard to go wrong with a Zenith boar, but you might want to snag the very special unbleached brush mentioned above the next time you see one (the vendor mine was ordered from a few days ago is now again out of stock, but here's the link anyway); they have the too tall cheap unbleached which also works a treat.

Zenith.Copper.boar.Manchurian.2.640.7-14-18.JPG

This is the taller of the two copper handled boars Zenith offers. Lovely boar. The Manchurian is also a wonderful brush, but you're interested in boars so I won't derail you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I completely agree with the sentiment that the B03-A26 is the sweet spot in the zenith boar line up. It’s a great all around brush, not too much and not too little of anything. I just received two in the mail today that I plan to give as gifts since I have been so happy with mine.

I too have the “too tall” plastic handled version but despite my love for the scrubby and stubby boars, I rather like these tall lofted boars quite well. I think they are unbeatable for a bowl latherer. At the price, I could see picking a few more of them up to replace some less appealing knots in some nicer handles.

So far, I honestly haven’t bought a zenith I didn’t like. They are slowly but surely taking over my brush shelf.

...I too have the “too tall” plastic handled version but despite my love for the scrubby and stubby boars, I rather like these tall lofted boars quite well...
I converted my "too tall" into a duster for talcum powder during home haircuts. It works well for that; plenty of flop to distribute the powder.
:laugh:

It's a few posts back, @Asterix posted a pic...

The guy that runs the Gentle Shave website seems to have invented his own model numbers, which really confuses the issue. You can buy the Zenith 506U from yourshaving.com in Spain for 13 Euros plus shipping.

Here is a stock photo:
View attachment 1136413

Agreed, but he does have the conversion chart on the site.

View attachment 1139977

This is the taller of the two copper handled boars Zenith offers. Lovely boar.
The B28 is beautiful. I would want to keep it bright and shiny. I have read a lot of reviews that put this above the Semogue SOC Boar but was scared off by some owners saying that there eventually ends up developing some green build-up at the base of the knot that can't really be cleaned away. What's your experience been like?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The B28 is beautiful. I would want to keep it bright and shiny. I have read a lot of reviews that put this above the Semogue SOC Boar but was scared off by some owners saying that there eventually ends up developing some green build-up at the base of the knot that can't really be cleaned away. What's your experience been like?

Zenith.Copper.boar.Manchurian.2.640.7-14-18.JPG

If there were a green build up it would be the copper patina and I'd be fine with it, but I've had no signs of green on either of my copper handled Zeniths.

It's a cinch to keep shiny if that's what you want. I like both the shiny look and the not shiny patina.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
UnbleachedZenith.Vitos.FOCS.8-16-20.640.JPG

This cheap plastic handled unbleached boar with the knot I think is too tall (but it doesn't function as if it were too tall) is an incredibly good brush. The shipping from Spain costs more than the brush, but it was still cheap with the shipping.

Here's my report on the now broken in unbleached brush.

It's very easy for me to say to everyone: Buy yourself one of these. Break it in. You'll love it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom