What's new

What will you eat today on Cinco de Mayo

Happy Cinco de Mayo.

Will you be eating anything special today to celebrate this traditional holiday?

I have a pot of pinto beans that I have soaked over night and I will be cooling some beef and making burritos for our dinner tonight. I really dig my home made burritos and could eat them every day, but I don't :sad: Don't worry, pics WILL follow once I have everything made and plated. :drool:

I grew up in L.A. and had a number of Hispanic friends who introduced me to this fabulous cuisine (via their MOM's cooking). I was a bit of a brat when I was younger and would always weasel myself an invitation to dinner at friend's homes where "different" styles of cooking took place.

I had a line that I would tell my friend's mom during dinner that would ALWAYS get me an invitation back to dinner every time I visited.

I would say: "WOW Mrs xxxx I wish my mom could cook as good as you can"

Worked every time :001_smile

My mom always wondered why other people were giving her recipes. I never told her this as I am sure I would not be alive today to relate this to you had she found out about it. :taz:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If I'm lucky, I'll get to eat some tacos standing up at a taco stand.
If I'm really lucky, I'll get to sit down and eat some tacos at a converted tire shop.

I have leftovers for lunch, and will probably have different leftovers for dinner. As much as I love Mexican food, I've never quite understood the American fascination with Cinco de Mayo. Although I'm never one to argue with 2 for 1 Margaritas!

ouch

I have a new Waring Megamix blender on the way, but I doubt it will make it here on time.

ouch

I had a bottle of cheap tequila for lunch, because it's May the Fifth. Then I cracked it over the head of some guy dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi, saying may the fifth be with you.

Last edited:
I had a bottle of cheap tequila for lunch, because it's May the Fifth. Then I cracked it over the head of some guy dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi, saying may the fifth be with you.
Hmm... If yesterday was "May the Fourth be with you," then does that make today the "Revenge of the Fifth?"

Just got news from SWMBO that I'll be making Chicken lime tacos tonight. Any grill tips you guys can offer up? My chicken grilling technique needs work.

All while listening to the Firth of Fifth?

Leftover ribs from quatro de mayo..... But we did make Margaritas on el hielo.

If I would have thought about it I could have wrapped some of the meat in a tortillas and made some sweet soft shell tacos!

Last edited:

ouch

I soaked some tortillas in tequila and taped them to my arm like a nicotine patch.

I had some meatloaf and sourdough bread.

If I had thought about celebrating, I've got some frozen burritos in the fridge. That's as close as I could come to anything traditional.

Nothing quite like a 7-Eleven inspired holiday feast. :laugh:
I've been boycotting 7-Eleven since I had a slip-n-fall accident in one of their stores about 15 years ago. It wasn't the accident so much that pissed me off, but rather the manager's attitude about the incident and his refusal to file a report. When I called corporate HQ to complain about how he mis-handled this situation, not only did it take me 2 weeks of sending e-Mails every day and calling their customer service number before I could get a response and talk to a live person.

Really, all I wanted out of this was a written apology. I wasn't trying to sue them for money. All I wanted was for somebody to say they were sorry for the way I had been treated. I wanted something I could frame on my wall and point to and say "Look at that. I won an argument with a big corporation." But I couldn't even get that out of them. They thought they could buy me off by sending me coupons for discounts on stuff I never would have eaten even if it had been free.

So I refuse to even set foot in a 7-Eleven ever since then, and WaWa gets all of my convenience store business.

Oh, wait a minute ... we were talking about burritos, weren't we? These are Casa Mammita brand, they come from Aldi ... about $2.39 for an 8-pack. I always keep a pack of Beef & Bean and a pack of Cheese & Bean on hand. 330 calories each, And they're nuke-ready in two minutes, perfect thing when I run out of "real food" or I'm in too much of a hurry to prepare anything else.

Damn, I just made myself hungry ... I almost wish I hadn't had that meatloaf tonight. But I know what I'll be having for dinner tomorrow night.

Top Bottom