What's new

What was your very first shaving soap/cream?

It was
Heck, at my age I don't even remember what I had for breakfast, let alone what shaving soap I had as a teen. If I had to guess, it was prolly a can of Barbasol or some kind of Gillette stuff. I do remember having a soap (gel) with a built in brush at the top. Someone posted a pic of one of these cans last year and it totally jogged my memory, and I'm saying to myself, yeah... I had one of those!
One of these...
s-l400.jpg

3 months of DE shaving and I yet to try a shaving soap. I've been using King of Shaves gel till now. Last night I ordered my first shaving soaps (and a shaving brush) to try out:
Proraso & Clubman!
After that I'll order some Arko since it has me curious. I keep reading that at some point everyone will try it at least once, LOL!!

Screenshot 2022-03-31 195601.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-31 195718.jpg

Honestly, I don't remember, but if I have to guess, i'd say some of the Gillette foams from back then. I do, however remember my very first razor. It was a Match 3 and I still have it, but I haven't used it in more than 10 years.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

Dude, thats the same Prorasso shaving soap that I have so far, and there is about to be more Prorasso stuff added to the family in a short bit, but for right now, that is all I have, and I love it! The sandlewood smell really smells good, and the shaving soap goes on nice and thick and slick. However, remember, in order to do that, once you get enough soap on the brush from the puck, you must transfer the brush to a lathering bowl and whip it up real nice.

I did things backwards like when I first joined up to the forum, cause I was trying to whip up a lather from the soap pucks for the longest time, take my word for it, doesn't work very well lol. So whip that soap up in a lather bowl once you got enough from the puck, and then go to town woohoo! lol. Congrats BTW for getting away from the shave gel's. Leave shave gel's for cartridge razor shaving and electric shaving. Shave soap puck, a brush, and a lathering bowl, are the real deal. Yes sir!

Hi,

I used the refills from this once Old Spice disappeared at the beginning of the Shaving Apocalypse. I'd empty a refill into an Old Spice mug and let it sit and dry out. Made a reasonable facsimile. After this went away in turn, I used Palmolive in the same manner until it also went away. That's when I found the Carden Farms locally made shaving soap I still use.

Stan

Dude, thats the same Prorasso shaving soap that I have so far, and there is about to be more Prorasso stuff added to the family in a short bit, but for right now, that is all I have, and I love it! The sandlewood smell really smells good, and the shaving soap goes on nice and thick and slick. However, remember, in order to do that, once you get enough soap on the brush from the puck, you must transfer the brush to a lathering bowl and whip it up real nice.

I did things backwards like when I first joined up to the forum, cause I was trying to whip up a lather from the soap pucks for the longest time, take my word for it, doesn't work very well lol. So whip that soap up in a lather bowl once you got enough from the puck, and then go to town woohoo! lol. Congrats BTW for getting away from the shave gel's. Leave shave gel's for cartridge razor shaving and electric shaving. Shave soap puck, a brush, and a lathering bowl, are the real deal. Yes sir!
I'm sure glad you posted this. I was gonna try lathering on the puck, Lol!!
That's the great thing about the forum where we can learn from others.
I'll be ordering a bowl tonight!
Thanks!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm sure glad you posted this. I was gonna try lathering on the puck, Lol!!
That's the great thing about the forum where we can learn from others.
I'll be ordering a bowl tonight!
Thanks!

I recommend buying a lathering bowl that has ridges in it, which greatly aids in the whipping of the lather in the bowl. Choose whatever brand you'd like, and price you are able to afford, to get said bowl with ridges. Having said that however, if you would like my recommendation, I have the Captains Choice LARGE bowl, and I freaking love it!

proxy.php

Because the LARGE bowl version is well large, you can be able to use a large brush in it, and there is plenty of room to whip up the lather.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My first shave soap wet shaving was in the 70’s and was Irish Spring bath soap or Prell shampoo lathered in my hands and a Trac II or Good News disposable razor.

But when I first started shaving vintage style and joining B&B, the first soap and brush I used was good ole’ Van Der Hagen Deluxe shave kit with their soap puck in plastic, boar brush that shed and their little green shave bowl.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My first shave soap wet shaving was in the 70’s and was Irish Spring bath soap or Prell shampoo lathered in my hands and a Trac II or Good News disposable razor.

But when I first started shaving vintage style and joining B&B, the first soap and brush I used was good ole’ Van Der Hagen Deluxe shave kit with their soap puck in plastic, boar brush that shed and their little green shave bowl.
You sure we ain't brothers? I have the exact same story, except I'm pretty sure I used a DE Gillette razor of some type that I stole from Dad when he was off at werk on second shift....

Then he undoubtedly got tired of THAT real quick and bought my pimply faced young teen self a Good News for a quarter dollar and told me keep my peach fuzz away from his razor!

Then he got sucked into the Good News trap and NEVER looked back. He only ever used canned Noxzema or something similar, as far as I recall. He was born in the 1920's so EVERYTHING new and scientifical was a BIG deal.

Man, I miss that dude.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
TOBS Sandalwood was my first cream when I started my current de journey.
That was me also, figuring the "Old Time Barbershop Scent" TOBS Sandalwood described was what I was looking for. Fortunately I found Red Proraso much more to my, and my wife's liking. She likes Arko too, if that tells you anything.
I PIF'd the TOBS.

~doug~

A Panasonic eletric shaver I ”borrowed” from my uncle. It’s a old model, black with a foil. Used this shaver for a good time when I was a teenager.

Many years using eletric shavers because that one :(

I read in a magazine about the Gillete sensor Excel around that time. I cost a fortune in my country when it was launched :). I never saw a DE razor until 2019. DE razors in my country are pretty rare.

Top Bottom