What's new

What was your very first shaving soap/cream?

Hi,

1976, age 15, Yardley. Dad gave me an old Pre-War Tech (still have), and old Rubberset brush (still have) and I used his Yardley (don't still have, sadly).

When Yardley went bye-bye, we switched to Old Spice, which I still have two partial mugs of his from after he passed away in 1995. Mom bought him a new one each Christmas and he didn't use it all up after it went bye-bye.

Mostly Dad's stuff save for the Old Type, which was my Grandfather's. You see the pre-war Tech and the old brush here as well. I use this stuff on his birthday and Christmas day each year. His post-war Tech. I rarely ever use the superspeed or the pre-war Tech. The Old Type I use more often.

Stan

Hmmm 🤔 thinking back to what my Grandfather was using at the time, since he lived with me and my mom... and dad wasn't around(story for another day)... It would have been his go to which was always on the bathroom shelf. After he retired from being an electrician he was bored and tried selling Amway, so there you've got it folks... The Amway canned foam.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Actually I lather on my chin with a CH2 and it works great! I haven't tried a mug or bowl with it yet, but I will eventually.

If you decide to get a lathering bowl, I have to recommend the Captains Choice Large size bowl. The ridges inside the bowl help aid in speeding up the ability to whip up the lather. The LARGE bowl size is large enough, that it provides plenty of room to work a large sized brush.

The Captains Choice logo on the side, is where you place your thumb, as you hold onto the bowl, provides for a nice grip. And despite the bowl being made of ceramic, its actually fairly light, not heavy at all. The bowls are all hand made with love, so not every one is exactly the same. And that uniqueness even makes me smile. :)

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

If you decide to get a lathering bowl, I have to recommend the Captains Choice Large size bowl. The ridges inside the bowl help aid in speeding up the ability to whip up the lather. The LARGE bowl size is large enough, that it provides plenty of room to work a large sized brush.

The Captains Choice logo on the side, is where you place your thumb, as you hold onto the bowl, provides for a nice grip. And despite the bowl being made of ceramic, its actually fairly light, not heavy at all. The bowls are all hand made with love, so not every one is exactly the same. And that uniqueness even makes me smile. :)

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
Thanks! I am worried about dropping it since I shave in the shower...

Don't recall first first, but it could have been Barbasol to go with my adjustable Gillette (Slim I think, it would have been about 1973), then later single edge injectors before moving to cartridges. Then back to DE in 2014.

I think it was Noxzema menthol in the can.

My brother used the Edge gel and I always thought that stuff had an awful chemical stench so I steered clear.

Heck, at my age I don't even remember what I had for breakfast, let alone what shaving soap I had as a teen. If I had to guess, it was prolly a can of Barbasol or some kind of Gillette stuff. I do remember having a soap (gel) with a built in brush at the top. Someone posted a pic of one of these cans last year and it totally jogged my memory, and I'm saying to myself, yeah... I had one of these!

Top Bottom