What's new

What was your very first shaving soap/cream?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Was, and still is, my first shaving soap

proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Yardley Lavender, wooden bowl. I still miss it.

Hi there!

So, when I was doing searching for a shaving lather bowl, I discovered that they still make wooden shaving bowls today. There are also shaving bowls made in ox horn, ceramic, marble, and steel. I'd stay away from the plastic shaving bowls if I were you, I'd just consider those as outdoor camping bowls if I were you.

Have a look on Amazon, West Coast Shaving, Shavenation, Maggards, Mens Room Barbershop, heck even Ebay. One of those places has got to have a wooden shaving lather bowl that you would like. :)

First for me was probably a can Edge gel because that's what my father used. I tried many different canned stuff and finally settled on the aloe Barbasol. When I switched to wet shaving my first soap was Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man and my first cream was Proraso red.

Currently Stirling is first or second largest part of my stash (competing with Captain's Choice) and Proraso red will always be in rotation.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My dad taught me and used bar soap. It was good enough for him so it was what I learned with. No wonder I never wanted to shave back then.
This may have been what I did. Or regular old Noxzema facial cream. One of the two, because that's what my Dad did 99 percent of the time. Then some kind of canned foam, probably whatever was on sale! When I started buying my own I know that I bought that Edge Gel stuff a lot!

Hi there!

So, when I was doing searching for a shaving lather bowl, I discovered that they still make wooden shaving bowls today. There are also shaving bowls made in ox horn, ceramic, marble, and steel. I'd stay away from the plastic shaving bowls if I were you, I'd just consider those as outdoor camping bowls if I were you.

Have a look on Amazon, West Coast Shaving, Shavenation, Maggards, Mens Room Barbershop, heck even Ebay. One of those places has got to have a wooden shaving lather bowl that you would like. :)
Yardley shave soap was discontinued around 30 years ago and is one of the most highly sought after vintage soaps. It was sold in small wooden bowls with a lid.

linty1

My wallet cries.
My first shave was with an electric razor I got for Christmas one year, an entry level, single foil Braun. It was... not bad actually, it served its purpose, mowed things down, good times. I remember dutifully taking the foil off and brushing the hair-dust off, replacing the cutting block every few years. I tried looking for the same razor to reacquire, for nostalgia and was unsuccessful.

Top Bottom