What's new

What was your first concert?

I was a few rows directly below where the fire started. My uncle and I noticed it and started alerting people to move to the field, and then had to yell at them to slow down. It was rocking that end of stadium from all the benches bouncing up and down as people ran them.

It was blazing hot like this week has been, and everyone standing close enough got a refreshing shower from the fire snorkels’ overspray.
1441D47A-F6A8-47AC-8E7E-EBA467DBAEA0.jpeg

Sugarloaf or Black Oak Arkansas, Wichita--don't recall which was first though. Later part of 1972. I started wearing bell-bottoms pretty regular afterwards and the hair went shoulder length. Mom and dad didn't think to high of either thing.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My one concert regret is that I never saw Motorhead live.

I always wanted to see Jethro Tell in concert. Had a chance once at the tail end when Ian Anderson was doing Tull songs with like a symphony orchestra...was down the road from where I live, but I couldn't get tickets in time.

Hall & Oates with Til Tuesday as the opening act. This was right before they blew up with "Voices Carry". They played it and everyone was looking at each other like, "Wow that was a really good song." Two weeks later it was in heavy rotation on MTV.

Reactions: Avi
I always wanted to see Jethro Tell in concert. Had a chance once at the tail end when Ian Anderson was doing Tull songs with like a symphony orchestra...was down the road from where I live, but I couldn't get tickets in time.
Saw them twice. First time with Dave Pegg on bass guitar at San Jose State in 1994. The sound was horrible and I did not enjoy myself. Second time was at the Marin Civic Center (Frampton Comes Alive venue) probably 6 years later. Sound was fantastic, and so were they. Martin Barre was still in the band. They started with one of my favorites, "For A Thousand Mothers." Great show.

I can't remember my very first concert. It was either a Beach Boys, Sam the Sham, and Angels show, or Peter, Paul and Mary in either 1964 or 65 in Louisville. I saw a lot of bands in the 60s, from Dylan doing his half-folk/half-Band show to the Grateful Dead in 68 playing until 4am with only 100-200 people showing up. I had the Dead's first 1967 LP and forced my date to go. She married me anyway.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Saw them twice. First time with Dave Pegg on bass guitar at San Jose State in 1994. The sound was horrible and I did not enjoy myself. Second time was at the Marin Civic Center (Frampton Comes Alive venue) probably 6 years later. Sound was fantastic, and so were they. Martin Barre was still in the band. They started with one of my favorites, "For A Thousand Mothers." Great show.
I probably saw Jethro Tull 30 times, beginning with the Aqualung tour in 1971. I stopped a few years ago after Anderson sacked Martin Barre. This is no longer Jethro Tull. It's Ian Anderson with no voice backed by a mediocre Jethro Tull tribute band.

Ian Anderson should have moved away from Tull and into writing film scores around 1997 or 98. But do you think he listens to me?

In those days you had numerous acts for a concert.

I remember those days, tickets were $3-5. In summers of the 1960s, Asbury Park Convention center would have an early and late show of two groups for $4-5. It was a great, inexpensive date night, a show then walk the boardwalk for a few hours. The downside was that some of those groups were really bad live. As good as a band like Jefferson Airplane were live, some popular bands were dreadful. In the summer of 69, my future wife flew to NJ from Ky to visit and see one of her favorite bands, Steppenwolf. WORST live band we EVER saw. She flew back to KY, trashed her LPs and hasn't mentioned them since.

My first show was George Clinton and Parliament in some club in Washington D.C. I was 16 with a fake ID. My friends bought me a ticket because I had a car and that was the only way I was driving them.

The first concert I played, I was maybe 15 and playing for a frat house at our local university. We played the classic rock standards and hits of the day. We weren't good, but we were loud. Certainly worth the beer we got paid in.

I remember those days, tickets were $3-5. In summers of the 1960s, Asbury Park Convention center would have an early and late show of two groups for $4-5. It was a great, inexpensive date night, a show then walk the boardwalk for a few hours. The downside was that some of those groups were really bad live. As good as a band like Jefferson Airplane were live, some popular bands were dreadful. In the summer of 69, my future wife flew to NJ from Ky to visit and see one of her favorite bands, Steppenwolf. WORST live band we EVER saw. She flew back to KY, trashed her LPs and hasn't mentioned them since.

This will no doubt hack some fans off, but I saw The Stones in Cologne Germany around 1990 and I thought they were crud. They didn't play well and the sound quality was rubbish. I was seriously disappointed.

Without my parents (or anyone else's): The Judy's, Lamar University, 1984 (I think--could have been '85)

With my parents: I think it was Jerry Jeff Walker some time around 1976.

I suppose it also depends on what is a "concert." My folks took me out to see live music when I barely fit in a stroller. I'm defining "concert" as an event where there was a ticket and the band's or artist's name was what was printed on the ticket.

Was Judy's a Texas band? I was making the Guyana Punch / Jim Jones joke on one of these threads and thinking to myself I must just be making bad jokes for myself here, given the number of people who must have heard of the Judys..

Regards
Avi

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Poison, with Warrant as the opening act at the old Municipal Auditorium in downtown Nashville, 1988 or 89. The era of Big Hair rock n roll.

Top Bottom