What's new

What was your first concert?

The Chambers Brothers at the Fillmore East, I think it was 1968.

I had the LP, but never got to see them live. IMO, their song Time Has Come Today was one of the best songs of the late 60s. Most psychedelic rock I can no longer stand, but 50+ years later I still enjoy hearing "Time". You won't find any songs from my old Cream or Iron Butterfly or Vanilla Fudge LPs on my iPod, but Time is on it.

Last edited:
Reminds me of when I saw Roberta Hunter at the Cookery in Greenwich Village. You don't expect great jazz artists at restaurants. I also saw Sonny Rollins, Stephan Grappelli, and Stanley Turrentine at small clubs in the Village

This place was cool because they actually had a bar/lounge type set up separate from the restaurant. I read somewhere that the owner of the chain at the time was a huge jazz fan. I presume it got closed down when he sold it. The clubs I frequented most were The Bottom Line, The Village Gate, The Village Vanguard, The Iridium, The Blue Note, The Jazz Standard, BB Kings, The Palladium, Seventh Avenue South and Tonic. Only 4 of those are still open.

My wife and I saw Tull's Passion Play show in 73. It was weird, but good. Benefit was always my favorite Tull LP.
I am intrigued by your taste, which seems very good. Benefit remains my favorite Tull LP, too. I saw Tull twice in the early 70s. maybe just before and just after Thick as a Brick was released. I thought they were very good. Certainly Martin Barre was a loss to the band.

I also agree re the Chambers Brothers and "Time." A great cut. Still listenable. I also agree that i do not listen to any Cream, Iron Butterfly, or Vanilla Fudge these days, although i had sort of forgotten that Vanilla Fudge existed.

As I recall, my first concert was Ultimate Spinach/Vanilla Fudge. I am not sure what the worst concert I ever attended was. I went to a Jimmy Buffet concert at DAR Constitution Hall and the acoustics were so bad at our seats I could not figure out what songs were being played, but I am not sure that was the band's fault. I remember really looking forward to seeing Joan Armatrading and being very turned off to her personally, but I suppose the music was adequate. I saw the Stones in 1972 at RFK Stadium and was pretty disappointed. Overall I remain a pretty big Stones fan. I do not think I would go out of my way to see a live show these days unless it was in a small venue. To me the Stones are about the music not the show. It is really more the Mick Jagger show anyway, and I do not care all that much about him dancing around energetically on the stage. I think the Stones are tragically on the edge of being an oldies band.

Krokus who opened for Nazareth in the early 80s. We sat on the floor in front of the stack, pretty sure my ears are still ringing from that one.

I saw Krokus as an opening act for Accept at Massey Hall. There was a third band jerking the curtain, but I have no recollection of who they were. Great show from both groups.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Image-02.JPG

Also at The London Gardens, way back when. I cant remember who they opened for, it might have been Ozzy.

Accept I saw in Regina Sask in....1982-83. They opened for Golden Earring.

May 8th, 1982 at the Capitol Centre in Largo, Maryland. Greg Khin Band opened up for Journey. I also saw The Who on their "Farewell Tour" later that year. It was the first of The Who's MANY MANY farewell tours. :D

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
May 8th, 1982 at the Capitol Centre in Largo, Maryland. Greg Khin Band opened up for Journey. I also saw The Who on their "Farewell Tour" later that year. It was the first of The Who's MANY MANY farewell tours. :D
'Twas said that the Scottish music hall performer and early recording artist Sir Harry Lauder billed each of his thousands of appearances from 1910-1932 as his "Final Farewell Performance."

'Twas said that the Scottish music hall performer and early recording artist Sir Harry Lauder billed each of his thousands of appearances from 1910-1932 as his "Final Farewell Performance."

I thought you should know that I read every one of your posts in Richard Harris' voice. And I really enjoy it.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
My first concert was in 1985. It was Ratt with Bon Jovi as the opening act at Blossom Music Center in Ohio. I went with my neighbor Eric who's a few years older than I am. I think I was around 15 at the time and remember drinking beers in the parking lot before the concert. The show was great and my ears rang for about two days afterward. Really loud. We had pretty decent seats and it was a great show.

How about this as well... The worst concert I've ever been to. The worst concert I ever went to was Kool And The Gang. My friend came over on a night I was supposed to go out with my girlfriend and begged me to go to a concert with him. His grandparents bought tickets and had an extra one. He didn't want to go himself and was dragging me along. He wouldn't tell me who it was that we were going to see until I'd agree to go with him but I wasn't having it. Finally he was like, "Alright, this sucks man, it's Kool And The Gang". My girlfriend was cool about it and was like, just go and have fun. I remember the opening act was a comedian that wasn't very funny. They boo'd the guy off stage so we had some extended silence before the main act. I guess they sounded alright, I recognized Celebration and maybe one other song that they sang. Just wasn't the type of music I was listening to at the time. We still laughed and had a good time, so not all that bad I guess.
I went to see Pink Floyd at blossom
It was the Dark Side of the Moon tour and I was amazed at all the semi trucks with the album graphics on them and all the equipment ..... WOW . Great concert from the first note to the last 🥰

I went to see Pink Floyd at blossom
It was the Dark Side of the Moon tour and I was amazed at all the semi trucks with the album graphics on them and all the equipment ..... WOW . Great concert from the first note to the last 🥰

I would have loved to see Pink Floyd in concert. That's one that eluded me.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I would have loved to see Pink Floyd in concert. That's one that eluded me.
The sound system that they had back in the day was just amazing . I believe that they were one of the first bands using the quadraphonic with towers of speakers set up all over . It was probably the best sounding concert that I ever went to.

Top Bottom