What's new

What TV series you watching?

Just finishing up the third season of Netflix's Babylon Berlin. The show is surprisingly good historical detective fiction. At it's most basic, it's basic mystery stories set in the turmoil that was the German, Weimar Republic interwar years.

One walks away with a good look at the gritty, hard life that laid the groundwork for what was to come. If the series shows, the social, political turmoil of the time, it avoids becoming pedantic with the certainty 100% hindsight.

Finished S3 of Ozark last night. Got the swerve I expected, but not in the way I expected it. Going to be interesting to see how it's explained in S4.

Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime. I like how the following episodes build from the previous - a linear series.

Definitely True Detective, Seasons 1 and 3, and Babylon Berlin. I would say similar genres to the series listed.

I have no idea how accurate the portrayal of the interwar years in Berlin is. Seems pretty good to me from what little I know. Seems pretty consistent with the Philip Kerr Bernie Gunther series, for what that is worth.

Let's not mistake TV shows for historical works. That includes Babylon Berlin. the Deutschland 8x, Chernobyl, Mad Men or Wolf Hall.

I just finished season 3 of The Sinner. I'm giving it a "meh" - a letdown compared to the first two seasons. I found the character of Jaime and his whole philosophy thing tedious and annoying. Bill Pullman was still excellent and the season is worth watching more for his character study than the story arc which is ultimately disappointing.

The Mallorca Files on Britbox. My wife and I, who watch Britbox and AcornTV shows most of the time, weren't sure about this one for the first 10-15 min, but we got into it and binged the first 4 episodes yesterday. It's cute - no thinking involved. A Brit and German detective paired, with a Spanish boss who doesn't like them. Unfortunately, we now have to wait for a new episode to be posted every Tuesday.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What else in the lines of Breaking Bad, Ozark or Better call Saul is out there?????

If you havent seen Homeland, its very good and only two episodes left for the series. I'm gonna miss that one...

Peaky Blinders is exceptional. Arguably the best series I've seen.

Deadwood is right there with the very best.

Sharp Objects is really good too. Its a miniseries, so only a single season.

Season 3 of Killing Eve just started. Its very good too, in a darkly comedic way.

For a hardcore cop show, The Wire is hard to beat.

Dexter is worth more than a mention, if you havent seen it.

Bloodline is another one that I liked a lot.

Ray Donovan is another favorite.

Last edited:
Finished Unorthodox on Netflix and then following up with Shtisel. Both very good... Unorthodox more "dramatic" and Shtisel quieter, slower paced but very well acted. Both provide interesting looks at orthodox communities, one in NYC (though the show moves to Germany) and the other in Jerusalem.

Game of thrones,
Finally I decided to give it a shot since the book Author JJ Martin is from my town.
So far the special effects, production, photography and Actors are top notch,
Good story line so far with a thousand different characters and names.
So far so good I’m barely finishing season 1
I’m not too much into fantasy worlds etc etc
But this one is not too cheesy I hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bosch showed up last night available to watch .. episode one down, now I have to pace myself over the weekend so I can enjoy the season more than two days...

Top Bottom