What's new

What TV series you watching?

The last thing I watched was the Challenger miniseries on Netflix. Heartbreaking, but extremely well done.

Now the wife and I are rewatching The Mandalorian season 1, and should be finished with that and the first episode of season 2 before the next drops on Friday.

Most recently I've been watching a bunch of series. One was Formula 1 Drive to Survive. This series turned me onto Formula 1 racing. I very much prefer it over Nascar. I just finished The Spy with Sascha Baron Cohen. It really drew me in. I had not heard of Ellie Cohen before and didn't know his story so I had no idea what was going to happen. I found it gripping. And now I'm in the middle of watching Queen's Gambit. The girl at the heart of the show is just mesmerizing. Her eyes and constantly pouty mouth draw you in and her reactions to things people do or say is priceless. I have to say I'm smitten. I was happy to find out she's 24.
For Eli Cohen think Jeffrey Epstein.....!

Episodes from TUBI of Danger Man from 1960 and '61. This was Patrick McGoohan's first starring role, as John Drake, a NATO "troubleshooter" (aka security agent/spy). The first season are half-hours, the second (which came to America and played in prime time as Secret Agent) were hour-long stories.

The first episodes I've watched were extremely good. In the first, he plays detective in Rome to track down a missing $5 million in gold (almost an hour's worth of story in 26 minutes, but not rushed); in the second, he is sent to Hungary to "neutralize" a professional assassin; and in the fourth, he disguises himself as a drunken, sleazy slave peddler in Arabia to get the goods on the real slave market. Mind you, these ran before the first James Bond film appeared, and in fact in the title sequence his narration tells us his name is "Drake . . . John Drake."

Industry (HBO) So far, not a fan. 2 episodes in.

Valley of Tears (HBO) very good, and seems very authentic.

Southpark Pandemic Special. (HBO) Oh boy. Wish I could un-see most of that one.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Hell On Wheels ... my fourth go around with the series, which I follow up by reading one of Ambrose’s many masterpieces, Nothing Like It In The World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869.

I’ll never forget my first day of orientation with BNSF ... started off with a video filled with Transcontinental RR stills & was followed up by commentary from some old head moderator, who among other things, said: Folks, the people who built & operated the railroads were the astronauts of the 19th Century.

As foolish as this may sound, railroading & especially out here in the West, is replete with history, tradition & romance...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We watched the first two episodes of Industry (HBO) last night. I was expecting something different. The first episode gave some promise but the second fell completely flat. Lena Dunham directed Ep. 2, so it makes sense.

Finished season 4 of The Crown (Netflix). My favorite season so far, and that's saying something. Excellent series!

We are slowly working our way through The Boys. On Prime. Maybe we are not even through the first season. The episodes seem long. It seems to get very reviews. I do not get that. It is okay, I suppose, but I sure do not love it. Lots of amoral, at best, characters, engage in slow moving parts, with short bursts of hyperviolence.

Also working our way through The Good Place on Netflix. It also gets decent or better reviews. I would probably watch Kristen Bell in anything, and I like Ted Danson well enough in most things, but I find this show to be pretty bad. I find most of the characters annoying and the comedy weak and unsophisticated. I do like the Janet character. My wife likes the show better than I do. I think she finds the characters more appealing than I do.

Dead Like Me, a 2003 semi-comic fantasy about a 18-year-old loser girl named "George" (Ellen Muth) who is killed in a freak accident and is recruited as a "reaper": part of a group of recently dead who are assigned to rescue the souls of people who die by violence or accident. The catch: The reapers, visible to the living as well as to the dead, don't get paid and still have to find places to stay and jobs to live on. Mandy Patinkin of The Princess Bride and Criminal Minds hands them their assignments and teaches George the rules of reaping (and in the process, of life).

If you liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you'll probably like this.

I thought Dead Like Me was great. I am amazed there was never any follow-up after the second season or whatever it was. I do not even remember the actors aside from Mandy P getting much work after this. Has it really been 2003 years? That is scary!

I thought Dead Like Me was great. I am amazed there was never any follow-up after the second season or whatever it was. I do not even remember the actors aside from Mandy P getting much work after this. Has it really been 2003 years? That is scary!
Agreed. 17 years? Wow. Seems like yesterday.

It was a good show! Didn't the star get killed at the beginning by a toilet falling from an airplane or something like that?

Agreed. 17 years? Wow. Seems like yesterday.

It was a good show! Didn't the star get killed at the beginning by a toilet falling from an airplane or something like that?
Yes: Georgia "George" Lass is on her lunch period from her lousy temp filing job when a toilet seat falling from a space station reenters the atmosphere and burns her down where she stands. So for a while her fellow reapers call her "Toilet Seat." Rube, her boss (Patinkin), nicknames her "Peanut."

A lot of the deaths in the series so far (I'm on ep. 5) are kind of oddball like that. An Irishman at his birthday party is doing a jig atop the bar when the stuffed swordfish hanging from the ceiling swings forward and pierces his heart. Another victim gets a piano dropped on her from several stories up; one is electrocuted by his microphone at a rally; another slips on a banana peel and smashes his head in a revolving door. You get the idea. It's comic, but the gremlin-like entities, the "gravelings," who are visible to the reapers and who cause these weird deaths, are very creepy.

IMDb has credits for Ellen Muth, the lead actress, up until 2013; she was in TV's Hannibal, for instance. But her resume is oddly short. The British character, "Mason," is played by Callum Blue, who was working up until last year, and so was Rebecca Gayheart, "Betty," and Jasmine Guy, "Roxy" the meter maid.

"Endeavor" on PBS Masterpiece Theater. I'd watched an odd episode and got caught; I've binged Seasons 5 and 6, looking forward to "going back" ( S1 thru S4) and seeing Season 7 playthrough.

IMDb has credits for Ellen Muth, the lead actress, up until 2013; she was in TV's Hannibal, for instance. But her resume is oddly short. The British character, "Mason," is played by Callum Blue, who was working up until last year, and so was Rebecca Gayheart, "Betty," and Jasmine Guy, "Roxy" the meter maid.
Thanks. I admit I did not to the research to actually see what other stuff these folks had actually done. More than I thought. Although not so much for Muth. Looked like only two episodes of Hannibal. I thought they were all quite good. Looks like Muth did a couple of documentary shorts about the the show, which sound worth trying to dig out!

Good stuff. I had not thought about this show for a long time.

I am afraid "Strictly" is back so we have to watch it on iPlayer... It's quite clever how they have managed to put the show together, despite one of them breaking the bubble.

Top Bottom