What's new

What TV series you watching?

So, I finished Ozark. I know lots of people really like it but I found it to be too predictable. My wife is watching House of Cards and this is the second time I've tried to watch it. I didn't draw me in either time. I've watched a lot of them but I find it meh. But I did find two series that drew me in very quickly. The first is Rectify. I suppose I like it because pretty early on it elicited emotional responses from me. So, yes, I'm drawn in. Just started Season 2. The other one is Vikings. I only started watching it tonight and probably watched 5 or 6 episodes. And Katherine Winnick, Ragnar's wife, is smoking hot. OMG! Anyway, I really like this one. Didn't think I would but thought I'd just give it a shot anyway. I'm glad I did.

An episode of the A & E series from 1999-2001, Nero Wolfe. This one is based on one of Stout's novelettes, "Christmas Party." To describe it would be to give away too much about it. Let me just say that it's even better in this visual form than in print. Maury Chaykin by this point had grown in to the Wolfe character, and Tim Hutton was and is close to being the definitive Archie (with a strong nod to the young William Shatner; see my post 1260).

So, I finished Ozark. I know lots of people really like it but I found it to be too predictable. My wife is watching House of Cards and this is the second time I've tried to watch it. I didn't draw me in either time. I've watched a lot of them but I find it meh. But I did find two series that drew me in very quickly. The first is Rectify. I suppose I like it because pretty early on it elicited emotional responses from me. So, yes, I'm drawn in. Just started Season 2. The other one is Vikings. I only started watching it tonight and probably watched 5 or 6 episodes. And Katherine Winnick, Ragnar's wife, is smoking hot. OMG! Anyway, I really like this one. Didn't think I would but thought I'd just give it a shot anyway. I'm glad I did.

I really liked Ozark--most everything about it--and the earlier seasons of House of Cards--one of those shows though, where it is hard to like the characters, good plot twists though--but I understand your critiques.

I do not want to give away anything so I will not talk about later seasons of Rectify, but those first seasons were utterly compelling to me, too. Very original. Great acting. Good plot. Fabulous, convincing characters whose interplay was exceptionally engrossing and believable in a context that is quite surrealistic. Characters one could really identify with and care about.

We are going to have to try Vikings. Folks seem to like it.

I do not want to give away anything so I will not talk about later seasons of Rectify, but those first seasons were utterly compelling to me, too. Very original. Great acting. Good plot. Fabulous, convincing characters whose interplay was exceptionally engrossing and believable in a context that is quite surrealistic. Characters one could really identify with and care about.

I've read where it was said that "Rectify" was the best show that nobody's watching and I'd agree with that. When I would share with others my enthusiasm for the show, no one had ever heard of it. I don't think I convinced anyone to watch it either. Maybe it's the premise. The show is a lot deeper than the show's description would let on.

I really liked Ozark--most everything about it--and the earlier seasons of House of Cards--one of those shows though, where it is hard to like the characters, good plot twists though--but I understand your critiques.

We are going to have to try Vikings. Folks seem to like it.

Relatability is sort of key for me. That said, I really loved Homeland. I watched all of Designated Survivor, although there were some things about it found annoying. It took on too much of a tongue in cheek tone as it progressed. But for some reason it kept me engaged. A couple reality series that I became addicted to are The Last Alaskans and Life Below Zero. I'm a big fan of the mountains and the outdoors so I could literally watch that stuff all day and all night. Never been yet but hope to get there one day. The Vikings isn't necessarily relatable but I find it highly entertaining and the messages being delivered ring true to me. Plus there is some amazing scenery much like there is amazing scenery in The Lord of The Rings. Surprisingly, I found out that a lot of it was filmed in Ireland. As a result, Ireland, while a place I had wanted to visit, moved up the list because of that scenery.

Relatability is sort of key for me. That said, I really loved Homeland. I watched all of Designated Survivor, although there were some things about it found annoying. It took on too much of a tongue in cheek tone as it progressed. But for some reason it kept me engaged. A couple reality series that I became addicted to are The Last Alaskans and Life Below Zero. I'm a big fan of the mountains and the outdoors so I could literally watch that stuff all day and all night. Never been yet but hope to get there one day. The Vikings isn't necessarily relatable but I find it highly entertaining and the messages being delivered ring true to me. Plus there is some amazing scenery much like there is amazing scenery in The Lord of The Rings. Surprisingly, I found out that a lot of it was filmed in Ireland. As a result, Ireland, while a place I had wanted to visit, moved up the list because of that scenery.

I loved Homeland, too. Good show in nearly every respect. I liked Designated Survivor well enough, but there were any number of things that were annoying about it. I had not picked up on a tongue in cheek tone so much, but that does not ring false. Is that show ever coming back for another season.

High production values with nice scenery is always a plus!

Homeland is definitely over. I thought the did a reasonable job of wrapping it up.

I was really asking about Designated Survivor. My recollection is that the end of the last season that is available was left in a way where the series could obviously start back up with a new season. Then whatever regular network it was cancelled the show, but it was picked up by Netflix, which, again as I recall, promised at more seasons. It may actually be that the show did two seasons on the original network and then Netflix did a third season, but I do not think the intent was to stop there.

An episode of the A & E series from 1999-2001, Nero Wolfe. This one is based on one of Stout's novelettes, "Christmas Party." To describe it would be to give away too much about it. Let me just say that it's even better in this visual form than in print. Maury Chaykin by this point had grown in to the Wolfe character, and Tim Hutton was and is close to being the definitive Archie (with a strong nod to the young William Shatner; see my post 1260).
I enjoyed watching Nero Wolfe back then, I need to find it and watch it again.

All reruns.
Modern Family
Seinfeld (Mmm - Julia Louis-Dreyfus)
The Big Bang Theory
Two and a Half Men (episodes with Charlie Sheen are the best)

Homeland is definitely over. I thought the did a reasonable job of wrapping it up.

I was really asking about Designated Survivor. My recollection is that the end of the last season that is available was left in a way where the series could obviously start back up with a new season. Then whatever regular network it was cancelled the show, but it was picked up by Netflix, which, again as I recall, promised at more seasons. It may actually be that the show did two seasons on the original network and then Netflix did a third season, but I do not think the intent was to stop there.

Ah, yes. I felt the same way. They did leave it wide open for another season of Designated Survivor.

I enjoyed watching Nero Wolfe back then, I need to find it and watch it again.
A lot of the episodes are on YouTube -- maybe even all of them. Those adapted from novels are in two parts, those from the novelettes are a single episode.

And try the 1959 pilot with Kurt Kasznar and William Shatner. It's fun to see WS essay the role, and do so well with it.

Top Bottom