What's new

What TV series you watching?

Ah, yes. I felt the same way. They did leave it wide open for another season of Designated Survivor.

Turns out Designated Survivor's third season was put together while the series was at Netflix. It was released in June 2019 and the series was cancelled in July 2019. Usual network garbage I am sure. The show was highly rated on, say, Rotten Tomato. It annoys me as a viewer to develop an interest in the plot of a show and its characters and then have the network leave the viewers hanging.

Just started watching "Des", dramatised series about Scottish serial killer Dennis Nilsen starting David Tennant. First episode has me hooked!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Finally found the time to dust off that set of "The Prisoner" DVDs. Only one episode to go!

1600450465742.png

Episodes 9 and 10 of Laugh-In, from March and April 1968. In Ep. 9 Sammy Davis Jr. introduces his famous "Here Come De Judge!" routine; he does it about 6 times, differently each time. He also hilariously plays Arte Johnson's "twin" brother from behind the Iron Curtain. Dick Martin introduces the phrase "You bet your sweet bippy!" And Joey Bishop, deadpan as usual, and a much younger Regis Philbin are also guests.

Ep. 10 features the Bee Gees doing a video to one of their less-famous tunes; Arte Johnson (who was quite the singer and actor as well as comic) does his Indian guru role at The Party ("If the dromedary is just a common camel, the alligator is just a crock, according to the Maharishi"); and the queen of sexy comic timing, Barbara Feldon, is back as The Poster Girl for Planned Parenthood. Ruth Buzzi amazes me: She displays a terrific singing voice a number of times in the series, I mean real operatic style. Her bit as an opera star whose singing becomes insane giggling and laughter, and who has to be led off stage still cackling madly, is a classic.

Goldie Hawn is now doing her painted-bod-in-a-bikini dance routine, and Judy Carne is getting hit with water on a regular basis. Plus Flip Wilson: "Who knows what evil lurks in the minds and hearts of men? The Shadow do!"

The humor dates a little, but the energy doesn't, and you can see why the show was such a hit.

Here too. I thought season 1 was great! I'm not so sure about season 2.
Same. Just finished Episode 2 in Season 2, and I'm thinking to myself, it's going to be harder to live up to how good Season 1 was already, and is looking fairly predictable. Even more predictable Season 1. Still worth a watch though.

Just started Ratched on Netflix. The reviews seem about right so far. Beautiful and committed performances, but rather shallow, even cartoonish.

Having trouble getting all the way through Dark.

An early April 1969 edition of Laugh-In. Kaye Ballard does a song (which I see she had recorded 9 years earlier) called "I Just Kissed My Nose Goodnight":

"Nobody nose the trouble I've seen. . . ."

Top Bottom