What's new

What sub-$1,500 espresso machine would you get?

Just for fun:
With a million options in the sub $1,500 territory for an espresso machine, what would you get and why?

I was spoiled by (and I utterly loved) my Delonghi Magnifica super-automatic. It's not a fancy E61 group blah blah, but it was a simple, reliable, and headache-free machine that produced excellent results for me. I had a lower-end model that actually only cost me about $500 on sale.

I'd venture to guess you were looking more toward "higher end" semi-automatic devices though.

Quickmill Anita

Has the e61 grouphead, good reviews, and it's purty.

For a couple hundred more, I think I'd shell out for a double boiler machine though so I wouldn't have to deal with the hx flush deal.

Last edited:
When I bought my quickmill Andreja premium 6 or so years ago, it was well south of $1500, but not any more. Given the long period of relatively trouble free use I think I'd stick with that. But in order to stay true to the ask, I'd probably go with the Quickmill Anita.

With a million options in the sub $1,500 territory for an espresso machine, what would you get and why?
I wouldn't but if I had to I'd go with an HX as I'm primarily a latte drinker. I haven't kept up with these machines as I'm looking to upgrade to a DB well above the budget mentioned above.

If you drink a lot of milk drinks, then you wouldn't want an HX, would you? The cool-down wait between shots and steaming would get annoying.

That said, the Quickmill Alexia w/the double PID controller installed has me nervous (as in, I'm probably about to be poorer).

If you drink a lot of milk drinks, then you wouldn't want an HX, would you? The cool-down wait between shots and steaming would get annoying.

That said, the Quickmill Alexia w/the double PID controller installed has me nervous (as in, I'm probably about to be poorer).

I've never understood the fuss people make over HX's. If you use one, it takes about 2 days to get used to, then you're set. Depending on the machine - a quick 2-3 sec cool off blast, then grind the beans into the portafilter, tamp, wipe rim, affix and pull the shot (you're at proper temp by the time you've done the aforementioned). Want another shot? By the time you grind, tamp, wipe it's good to go, and so on and so forth.

RE: the steam - depending on the machine and boiler size, you can steam and brew simultaneously, or one right after the next without noticeably impacting the shot or the steaming capabilities. PERSONALLY - I'd take a HX over a dual PID (one boiler) any day, and feel they almost always have superior steaming capabilities.

Sure, a dual boiler, dual PID would be the best of both worlds... but frankly I just haven't seen a dual boiler system of reasonable size/cost, with dual PID's to motivate them edging out the HX in my eyes.

The Alexia is single-boiler, and with a dual-mode controller add-on, so you get accurate temperature for pulling shots or steaming milk (single-mode PID is just for shots). I think it mitigates some of the alleged draw-backs to using an HX or single boiler for milk drinks on a regular basis.

Though, admittedly, if you're not super picky, you may not feel the need for that upgrade. It's all very subjective.

Last edited:
Nearly anything but the Twin. Get it PID'd. That oughtta be fine for your own consumption and maybe a couple of others at a sitting. If you're talking about hosting friends and you want to serve many (ie more than 3 or 4), you might need something bigger. But really, you can get away rather cheaply here. You may also consider joining the Gaggia Users Group. I can link you if you prefer.

add 700 bucks and buy a Vivladi II by La Spaz :)

I like that suggestion - but then it opens up another can of worms, what with the new Expobar 4's and the Alex Duetto, it makes for a mighty bloody dog fight, with the Vivaldi being handicapped in that the Mini is the only one that isn't plumb only, and doesn't have a rotary pump or a pre-installed "pre-infuser."

Why not just go get the GS3? That should hold back the upgraditis that most espresso guys seem to have.

The answer to everything in the coffee world seems to be "Just spend 3X more!" The GS3 is like using the jaws of life to cut your toenails....

The answer to everything in the coffee world seems to be "Just spend 3X more!" The GS3 is like using the jaws of life to cut your toenails....

I guess the question now is what kind of drinks are you planning on making? Milk based drinks or mostly straight espressos? If just mainly straight espressos, you could lower your price even more and go for the Alexia.

I was just opening up a discussion. I'm pretty happy with my super auto right now, but if/when I do add another machine to the corral, it'll be the Mini Vivaldi II, hands down.

Top Bottom