What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Oh Matt. Perhaps now you can look at it as a ritual cleansing free of the old year and beginning the new year completely fresh unburdened by your past sins. Or something like that. Hope you and your family are feeling better now.
That is one way of looking at it lol! I think we are all on the mend now.....

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
$_1.jpg

Hi
That’s a fine looking razor. I want to by a tamagahane steel razor. Is that a tamagahane razor?
Thank you

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
Hi,
The blade is made of Yasugi steel (YSS). Though this steel was processed at Hitachi’s Shimane plant where swords where manufactured, this is not a tamahagane blade.

Well, the new year started out slightly poorly this year..... Our 1.5 year old had a bout with stomach flu on Saturday and Sunday, thankfully he has recovered! Unfortunately for my wife and I, it came to ravage us both minutes after the ball dropped. In years past, I’d be praying to the porcelain gods after a night of drunken debauchery, but this night I had only one beer.....

So, no straight razor shave to begin the year, but my Schick Adjustable did a serviceable job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish all is fine now !

11/16 W&B “You lather well/ I’ll shave well”
Not pretty but it shaved!
Yaqi Mysterious Space
Old Spice for the finish!
F5F46838-0505-4456-9FB2-135B838AC20C.jpeg

I've always been tempted to purchase a Bismarck. How do you like yours?

Ok
Just finished my second shave with the Bismark so my uptdate is: it’s was a great shave. The problem I had in the first shave maybe have been something to do with the stropping, because now I’v stropped till I felt almost none feedback from de paddle. But for sure it was a problem with my angle. I increased the cutting angle and doing so it started cutting very smoothly. Again I’m adapting from the A SS feather razor into SR. I got much better shave in chin area also ( in the first time I was so disappointed that run my leaf razor in the aggressive position and shave the chin area. As a result I cuted myself in two spots lol [emoji23] isn’t that madness??!! I cuted myself with a leaf razor but not with the SR.

So, If you like the Bismark, buy it. You can’t go wrong!

I’m considering going for the Lowe in future (more heavy I presume)

At this point, I started classic shaving 5 months ago, but at this point I consider selling my DE and the Leaf Razor. The feather ss seams very poor known compared with the Bismark

KR

Hi,
The blade is made of Yasugi steel (YSS). Though this steel was processed at Hitachi’s Shimane plant where swords where manufactured, this is not a tamahagane blade.

Thank you
But I guess it’s a very good steel. Japoneses just don’t allow themselves to go wrong.
Wats your opinion about that YSS?

Well, the new year started out slightly poorly this year..... Our 1.5 year old had a bout with stomach flu on Saturday and Sunday, thankfully he has recovered! Unfortunately for my wife and I, it came to ravage us both minutes after the ball dropped. In years past, I’d be praying to the porcelain gods after a night of drunken debauchery, but this night I had only one beer.....

So, no straight razor shave to begin the year, but my Schick Adjustable did a serviceable job.

In Portugal we have a saying: “Quem tem filhos tem cadilhos “ it means something like this: “who has children’s has worries” so you did your job. Father job. Congratulations. Go celebrate!!!

I used my Schick Injector for a full 3 pass shave and It was a nice DFS. When I compare my face feel after only using straight razors for months and months, its incredible how much longer I go with out stubble after a straight shave. I was feeling stubble before noon by comparison to later in the afternoon/early evening when I use my straight razors. I'm not complaining about my quick and Schick Shave, but the straight wins hands down on longevity!

I shaved with “Acier Suedois” Theirs Issard this razor shaves like a champ super smooth like a hot knife through butter :)
proxy.php

Hi eezee

Well, I’v just began shaving with straights. Actually, yesterday was my first use of the Bismark and overall my second go with straight razors. So I haven’t much of an opinion to give. But when I do I’ll let you know.

Have been using *** feather straight razor. So now I’m learning to strop. And I found that stropping makes a lot of difference to the cutting efficiency.

But first impressions where, it’s a very beautiful razor indeed. The tail is all covered in gold witch is good for keeping it stainless. It’s hefty compared with my Filarmónica 13 and my Feather. The Bismark although it’s a full hollow as an hefty spine witch for me is good because I tend to do better with hefty razors (therefor I used the Merkur 38c and 39c instead of the 34 and 37). So the Bismark has a very good felling while cutting. I did a full wtg pass with easy, no problem. Then I did a atg in the neck with no problem.Then I did a second wth in the upper lip followed by a xtg and the fools pass. at that point I missed the sharpeness of the ss feather. Then I went to xtg and atg of the jaw line and face I felt the blade much less sharper and I thought giving another strop, but I didn’t do to laziness. So I went on, and ended up with a very good shave including under the jaw line which is my very difficult spot for me. But in the chin area it just didn’t cut well. I had hairs sticking out.
Well, the razor hasn’t yet been honed. It came shave ready from factory. But I think that with proper stropping tecnic and use of crómio stropping I’ll get a fine edge. It remains to see if the razor will hold a proper edge during an entire shave, but I guess it will.
Summing up I have to learn to strop.

Kind regards

Thank you so much for the feedback. It certainly sounds like you are learning your way around the straight. Best of luck! There is no question that what passes for "Shave Ready" may not necessarily be what is needed for a good shave. Get comfortable with your stropping and things will definitely improve.

How is shaving sensation with that w&b?
Is it a near wedge? Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
The blade on the W&B says "Medium Hollow." It is not a wedge but it is definitely pointed in that direction. It is on the other hand a very stout blade.

Ok
Just finished my second shave with the Bismark so my uptdate is: it’s was a great shave. The problem I had in the first shave maybe have been something to do with the stropping, because now I’v stropped till I felt almost none feedback from de paddle. But for sure it was a problem with my angle. I increased the cutting angle and doing so it started cutting very smoothly. Again I’m adapting from the A SS feather razor into SR. I got much better shave in chin area also ( in the first time I was so disappointed that run my leaf razor in the aggressive position and shave the chin area. As a result I cuted myself in two spots lol [emoji23] isn’t that madness??!! I cuted myself with a leaf razor but not with the SR.

So, If you like the Bismark, buy it. You can’t go wrong!

I’m considering going for the Lowe in future (more heavy I presume)

At this point, I started classic shaving 5 months ago, but at this point I consider selling my DE and the Leaf Razor. The feather ss seams very poor known compared with the Bismark

KR

Oh wow, five months into the hobby and already going after the straights? Bravo!! Sounds like things are going splendidly. You may want to keep a DE or your Feather just to change things up now and again. I still use a good number of DE razors just because I enjoy that side of the hobby as well. I have never used a Feather or any other sort of barber's razor so I can't comment on that. Welcome to the hobby and I look to see many of your shaves posted here on the B&B!

Top Bottom