What's new

What size razor do you prefer for daily shaving?

I started out like most of us with a 5/8 round point razor, which I still think is a great choice for daily shaving.

Lately I've found myself preferring my 6/8 Henckel's Friodur and 6/8 Dovo Special over my 5/8 blades. I'd appreciate your opinions.

Why do you like 6/8 better than 5/8? I am looking for a new razor and wondered about the 6/8 vrs. the 5/8.

Richard

Actually, if I could only have one size it would probably be...11/16! Yeah, I'm splitting hairs so to speak. I like both sizes. It depends on the heft of the blade. If I'm shaving every day or 6 days a week, I like 5/8 Tuesday through Friday and the bigger razors on the weekends or Monday morning.

Jordan

I like both....i lean towards the 6/8 and have been shaving with them almost exclusively but that's because all my 5/8's razors need to hit the hones. :D

Actually, if I could only have one size it would probably be...11/16! Yeah, I'm splitting hairs so to speak. I like both sizes. It depends on the heft of the blade. If I'm shaving every day or 6 days a week, I like 5/8 Tuesday through Friday and the bigger razors on the weekends or Monday morning.

Jordan

Why do you like the bigger blades on the weekend?

Richard

I got from 4/8 up to 15/16 although the majority of my straights are 5/8 and 6/8 to me the only thing that makes a difference is if the razor is properly pepared. (honed and stropped) Although I do have a few heavier grinds that shave me exceptionally well but they also vary in size so no real preference, just what ever one happens to be next in the rotation or fits my mood of the moment. The only difference to me is how often they get rinsed during the shave which is not a big deal to me.

Why do you like the bigger blades on the weekend?

Richard

I wasn't very clear in my post. Tuesday-Friday, I'm shaving every 24 hours. If I shave close, and I usually do, I'm shaving light stubble every morning. I like a lighter 5/8 blade for this. I usually shave Saturday night and then again on Monday morning, so I have a heavier growth for these shaves. That's when I use the heftier razors.

Its all preference and you have to try different razors and use them for a while before you can really draw any conclusions. I've found I like them all. For example, I have one old heavy Sheffield wedge. I don't use it very often, but when I do, its a pleasure.

Jordan

I reach for my 6/8 and 7/8 most often. I have a fairly heavy beard which gives the smaller blades some trouble, especially in the denser areas. Thus for daily shaving, I prefer heavier blades or stiffer grinds. Still, I have a 3/8 wedge that is a blast to use as long as I don't shave ATG.

I reach for my 6/8 and 7/8 most often. I have a fairly heavy beard which gives the smaller blades some trouble, especially in the denser areas. Thus for daily shaving, I prefer heavier blades or stiffer grinds.

6/8ths is my go-to size. 11/16ths is "iffy" -- depends on the grind: full-hollow is a no-go, half- or quarter-hollow works. 5/8ths just doesn't cut it; in fact, I'm in the process of cleaning-up all my 5/8ths razors, prior to putting them up-for-sale -- film at 11.

I find 6/8 to be the best all around size for me - if I'm using a 5/8, its going to be a heavier grind.

I'll occasionally throw a 7/8 into the mix, but I save my 8/8+ for weekends.

I like em all but if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose I would take the 6/8s. It pretty much has it all. It has heft but still good maneuverability and feels good in the hand.

I have Wapiencas 5/8 and Dovos6/8. Maybe it's the quality of the razors but I prefer the 6/8 Dovos. They just plain work better on my tough beard.:cool:

Top Bottom