What's new

Help with a Straight to maintain inside corners of a goatee

Hi Guys - I'm a long time DE razor user and collector and for the last year or so have had a well groomed goatee. I have been using a Parker Shavette to clean up the inside area of my lower chin.

I already had some Shapton Glass HR Stones (1000 and 8000 grit) for wood working and bought some new German knives. So I stated to think well gees if I need an intermediate stone for my knives (restoring my old set) then I could also think about maintaining a Straight and going down that rabbit hole... So I found myself buying a 2000 and 4000 grit Shapton Glass and a 12000 Grit naniwa stone for final polishing + a Kangaroo leather bench strop and some 0.25 compound of some description lol

For a straight Razor I initially bought one from a store in Sydney which is local to me that was on special however I think I made a mistake because it has a rounded point and won't do the inside of my chin well?

Full Hollow TortoiseShell Dovo 5/8

Maybe I should have got a Dovo Barbarossa with Spanish Point.

I am getting older and I have pretty tough coarse whiskers lol... I couldn't find much in a half hollow with a Spanish Point.

Should I keep the one I bought just for kicks and can someone here recommend any thing better for me for maintaing a goatee and I guess general shaving than a Dovo which I've read a few horror stories about since impulse buying the first one... I could ask them to swap it on Monday for me - they haven't shipped it... with any luck that is. Maybe the Spanish point Barbarossa Dovo is fine though for a general shave and maintaining a Goatee as well?

Last edited:
Any razor with a square point will serve you well, but make sure the toe of the razor does not have a sharp square corner. I hone a radius of about 1/16" at the point by raising the tang end of the blade off the stone slightly at the finish of each stroke.
I do have a Barbarossa. It works well around the beard and is a nice razor, but it is a shorty and therefore has its limitations. It's one of those razors that you are glad to have but does not get a lot of beard time.

Any razor with a square point will serve you well, but make sure the toe of the razor does not have a sharp square corner. I hone a radius of about 1/16" at the point by raising the tang end of the blade off the stone slightly at the finish of each stroke.
I do have a Barbarossa. It works well around the beard and is a nice razor, but it is a shorty and therefore has its limitations. It's one of those razors that you are glad to have but does not get a lot of beard time.
Am I better off with a Bergischer Löwe? It's also a Spanish Point. A bit pricey... but not a shorty.

Last edited:
Pay attention to this position to reduce cuts.

刀尖.jpg

Vintage-Iwasaki-Tokiwa-Japanese-Straight-Razor-RARE.jpg

I’m not sure that a round point will give you any trouble with what you want to do with. There isn’t a lot of curvature on your razor.

I just read somewhere that they weren't the preferred choice for the job because it would be hard to know how close to bring it to your hairline to get a clearly defined inside corner |__| . At the moment when I use a shavette I can see where the feather blade ends... I guess that would be similar to a spanish point. But what do I know... I've never tried a proper straight razor so I thought I'd ask here.

Just a thought: as I understand it, small razors in the 4/8" to 9/16" range were the standard tool for styling facial hair back in the day. Small razors are also generally the least desirable on the used market and ebay, and go for considerably less than larger razors from the same makers despite being the same quality.

Maybe look on ebay and see if you can find a vintage option in good, lightly used shape. Since you already have the stones and are planning on honing yourself it won't be much more work or investment than a new razor. A jar of Mother's polish or a tube of Flitz is cheap and will take off any light corrosion in a few minutes.

Just a thought: as I understand it, small razors in the 4/8" to 9/16" range were the standard tool for styling facial hair back in the day. Small razors are also generally the least desirable on the used market and ebay, and go for considerably less than larger razors from the same makers despite being the same quality.

Maybe look on ebay and see if you can find a vintage option in good, lightly used shape. Since you already have the stones and are planning on honing yourself it won't be much more work or investment than a new razor. A jar of Mother's polish or a tube of Flitz is cheap and will take off any light corrosion in a few minutes.
I should have done this in the first place I agree.

My opinion: stick with the Dovo that that you bought. Yes the tip is round but not that round, the edge has a clearly defined end point, and you still have to shave the rest of your face with it. Square points are tricky and lead to cuts (for me anyways). I bet that 95% of the time I nick myself it’s with the tip of a square or Spanish point razor. You’ll be able to get in there no problem with that Dovo you bought.

Those stones are great for SR btw. I use Shapton glass 3k, 8k, and a Naniwa Super Stone 12k for finishing and I love them all.

I was like you, concerned with trimming up the interior of my goatee with my straight, the day I started I just so happened to be using my largest razor, a 7/8. I use the heel to mid-blade to trim with, and I have no issues. When I switched to my 5/8th razor it was much easier, but I still have no issue with the larger razors. What I thought would be a big problem wasn't one at all. In the same way I keep the edges of the beard tight with the heel, I can keep the interior nice and trimmed. I think once you jump in and try it all will work itself out quickly. I don't use the point at all when I am trimming up my goatee. I have finer control over the heel. I hold the razor in place and use my head to make contact with the blade and the initial movement. I have much finer control that way and it is comfortable for me, once I start the stroke, my hand takes over and finishes the job.

A Spanish point is your answer. Kind of made for the purpose, I think. I have a well trimmed beard, and it's great for detailed work like that.

You will want to blunt the actual point, though

EDIT: All of mine are Dovos, most Barbarossas, and I only use the short Spanish points, and am very happy with them.

Last edited:
Thank you one and all for your comments. Sooner or later I'm going to have to get a proper razor and learning out what to look for and what to avoid may well keep me from making a serious mistake, as I've got a chronic low platelet count and prefer to keep my nicks minor if I can.

Top Bottom