What's new

What size and shape do you prefer?

When I first started down the dangerously slippery slope of cigar smoking, I was a big fan of churchills, because I wanted the most "bang for my buck." Well, needless to say, it only took a few times of sneaking off to the local B&M for a rushed smoke to realize that, unless you've got 2 1/2 hours free, you're just kidding yourself.

Enter the toro! This beauty knocked about an hour off of the smoking time, yet was still a substantially sized smoke. It's easily my favorite size, but don't ya know it, I'm really starting to enjoy the robusto as well.

Then last Wednesday, my world was turned upside down. I smoked what Cbid labeled as a Vibe Corojo Corona by Rocky Patel. It was tiny, to be sure, but man did it pack a punch! Spicy, thick voluminous clouds of smoke, never burned hot or got bitter. Little did I know, it was actually a petite corona, which I had previously secretly scoffed at. It was the perfect 1/2 hour cigar.

So there ya have it, when you're out BBQing, you can toss out your watches, clocks, and kitchen timers. All you need is a beer and a few varying sizes of cigars.

What are your favorites?

I no longer smoke cigars, but before I stopped my favorite size/shape had become the Robusto. I really liked double coronas, but they took so long to smoke that I rarely had time to have one. The Robusto is the perfect compromise, for me, a very large ring gauge combined with a short length. It always gave an easy draw with cooler smoke, but I could finish one in 15 minutes or so.

Tim

I no longer smoke cigars, but before I stopped my favorite size/shape had become the Robusto. I really liked double coronas, but they took so long to smoke that I rarely had time to have one. The Robusto is the perfect compromise, for me, a very large ring gauge combined with a short length. It always gave an easy draw with cooler smoke, but I could finish one in 15 minutes or so.

Tim

:eek:

I've found I like something around a 50 ring gauge as being really my only preference when it comes to the actual shape of the cigar. Depending on how much time I have determines the length I will choose, so I like to keep a nice selection on hand.

I also favor torpedoes or perfectos, something with a tapered head as you can't really get a bad cut with them.

I prefer robustos - nice ring gauge, but not too much of a time committment. I also look stupid with a Churchill stuck in my mouth.

I am also a sucker for shaped cigars and especially like pyramids and torpedos.

Bigger ring guage generally means more complex flavors (more tobacco can be blended theoretically) and the smaller ring guage generally means sharper but less complex flavors in my experience.

I generally gravitate towards smaller RG, Corona, Lonsdale, etc.

I mostly smoke double coronas, but lately I've been smoking a lot of the torpedos - the real kind with the double taper like you see the robber barons smoke in the old 1800's editorial cartoons. Even though this is a very hard shape to roll I've found mine to be extremely consistent with great draw and perfectly even burn. My guess is the factories put their best rollers on this shape which probably also accounts for the premium price. But they're a great, nostalgic smoke.

I mostly smoke double coronas, but lately I've been smoking a lot of the torpedos - the real kind with the double taper like you see the robber barons smoke in the old 1800's editorial cartoons. Even though this is a very hard shape to roll I've found mine to be extremely consistent with great draw and perfectly even burn. My guess is the factories put their best rollers on this shape which probably also accounts for the premium price. But they're a great, nostalgic smoke.

The thing that I've found confusing is all the different naming conventions. It seems that a lot of parallels can be drawn between cigars and beer though. For example, you have two main categorizations for both. Ale and lager, and parejo and figurado. Within ales you will find such beers as bitters, stouts, etc. and within lagers, you've got pilsners, witbiers, hefeweizen, etc. Within parejos, there are coronas, toros, churchills, etc. and within figurados you've got the torpedos, belicosos, pyramids, chisels, and perfectos, which is the shape you are describing if I'm not mistaken.

^^^ Good stuff guys.

Figurados are the shaped cigars, and are -usually, depending on the quality of the cigar manufacturer- rolled by a class 8 cigar roller.

The perfecto is one of my favorites, though I dont think manufacturers these days hold true to that comic book style of cigar, a very rapid concave taper profile along the longitudinal axis of the cigar. I think the Fuente Fuente Opus X short perfecto is the closest modern cigar to this idea, or the Gurkha perfecto.

Ive seen lots of companies call a piramide a torpedo, but like you said, there isnt an ISO sort of deal with cigar manufacture.

^^^ Good stuff guys.

Figurados are the shaped cigars, and are -usually, depending on the quality of the cigar manufacturer- rolled by a class 8 cigar roller.

The perfecto is one of my favorites, though I dont think manufacturers these days hold true to that comic book style of cigar, a very rapid concave taper profile along the longitudinal axis of the cigar. I think the Fuente Fuente Opus X short perfecto is the closest modern cigar to this idea, or the Gurkha perfecto.

Ive seen lots of companies call a piramide a torpedo, but like you said, there isnt an ISO sort of deal with cigar manufacture.

And we are all very thankful for that.:wink:

I also look stupid with a Churchill stuck in my mouth./QUOTE]

Nah...now a Churchwarden Pipe might get you some looks though.

As for the sticks...I probably smoke more robustos than anything. If I have time, I will light up a Churchill or Double Corona. I need a couple hour window though.

I was smoking Robustos and Torpedos 90% of the time until I first smoked a Lancero a few weeks ago.

I still love the RP Edge Missile Maduro though!!!!:001_wub:

Top Bottom