What's new

Handle Ergonomics. What size and shape do you prefer and how do you hold it?

What kind of handle design do you favor and how do you normally hold your brush?

I prefer round or barrel type medium sized handles and I tend to grab them all the way to the knot so the base rests on my palm.

$IMG_0962.jpg

I have a variety of them, but I much prefer the longer handles, 60+ mm; similar to this and I hold it almost completely in the palm of my hand.

I like handles with a variety of grip options ... to this end, the B&B Essential handle is the best there is.

Others that take honorable mention are the Semogue Owner's Club, although the knot is far too big for me and even the handle could be downsized about 20%, but keep the same profile.

The 2012 B&B LE, with a keyhole handle by Rudy Vey, is easy to hold in a number of positions.

About the only brush I have a hard time with the handle is the beloved Wee Scot. Its handle is too tiny to hold comfortably, the only option seems to be thumb and index finger grip. And to grip it like that gets tiring very fast. But I only use it perhaps once a month, so its not too bad. I couldn't see having it as my only every-day driver for that reason.

I agree with Celestino about the handle shape and grip on these M7-types, though I prefer a slightly shorter length for proper gripping. I've also found the standard handle that comes with Savile Rows and Shavemacs (412) to be comfortable, as well as the plexi handles (though they don't look it) offered by Thater (4376) and Shavemac (163).

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I tend to hold different brushes in different ways, and even differently at different times. For example, I hold some brushes more by the bottom end while building a lather in a bowl but closer to the waist while painting it on my face. I noticed that some time ago. It happened without me even realizing it.

I've only come across a couple of brushes that I could not hold comfortably. The one thing they have in common is that they have narrower bottom end. I like a little flare or wider bottom.

For example, I hold some brushes more by the bottom end while building a lather in a bowl but closer to the waist while painting it on my face. I noticed that some time ago. It happened without me even realizing it.

Actually I noticed that too. So it seems only natural :laugh:

Top Bottom