What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

SOTN 6/9/20

Razor: Kai Beauty eyebrow razor

Second Shave with this razor. After the first, I suspected it was a failed experiment. Despite being a guarded blade, it can still carve out some weepers. That and the handle is not ergonomically optimized for face shaving. I should have done a better job at heeding @ouchyfoot 's warning. This time (2nd attempt), I was careful and more steady, treating it like an unguarded blade. The shave was delightful! Still a bit awkward to hold, but delivers a superb shave. I may try and fabricate a slide-on handle to make it more ergonomic.

20200610_081847_HDR.jpg

Thiers Issard Eagle 6/8 singing blade with Red Stamina wood scales and a barbers notch
Proraso Red
Mason Pearson pure badger brush
Black beauty strop
20200611_071104.jpg

Jun 10: Weck Wednesday

Lather:
Stirling Baker Street (sample)
Brush: Proraso Professional (27/57mm)
Razor: Weck Sextoblade "Trade Sample Not For Sale"
Blade: Fromm Edge Ahead [1]
Post: Witch Hazel w/added glycerine, aloe and Patchouli EO

New blade in the Sextoblade today, this time with the Edge Ahead blade. These blades are definitely smoother on first use than the Personna "25% Sharper" blades. I got a weeper on my chin below the lower lip, but that was entirely my fault - I did not pay the proper respect to the new blade.
proxy.php

Decided to give my univinlion another spin. Dropping the guard blade and using a feather professional instead. Went over my entire face with it too. Got 3-4 weepers. Had to do some touch up with another razor once I was done. But I'm still learning the angles.

Last edited:
Jun 15: The Stubble Annihilator

Lather:
Speick stick
Brush: Plisson pour l'Occitane synthetic (21/55mm)
Razor: Univinlions Kai Captain, straight (clone)
Blade: Feather Artist Club ProGuard [23]

Today was a rare three-day stubble shave. Since I had that long sandpaper stubble, I had the urge to use a shave stick, Speick. It was like a cheese grater attacking a block of cheddar. Lots of easy lather. Not much scent, but this stick is at least 5 years old and not stored in an air tight container.

Again, the imminent of choice for multi-day stubble was the Univinlions non-folding straight (AKA The Stubble Annihilator). It's like a squeegee for your beard.
proxy.php

Jun 16: Pure Bliss

Lather:
Gillette Pure Shaving Cream with Aloe
Brush: Omega 0196745 BLACK Hi-Brush (24/56mm)
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS 6/8
Blade: Feather Artist Club ProGuard [24]

Today's shave was Pure bliss. This is a very underrated cream that flies under the radar. $5 for 6oz of cream and available at your local pharmacy. The cream has no SLS, parabens, or other less skin-friendly ingredients. It has both menthol and peppermint oil for that nice fresh skin tingle I enjoy so much.

The Feather SS continues to do it's job well, and the blade shows no sign of slowing down.
proxy.php

KIMG0134b.JPG

Pre-shave: homemade (EVOO, Vitamin E, Clove, Orange, Sandalwood)
Shaving cream: Geo. F. Trumper Spanish Leather
Brush: Edwin Jagger
Bowl: Shave Nation
Shavette: Scalpmaster paddle
Blade: German-made Wilkinson Sword
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger

10/10

Yesterday afternoon I had my 200th Feather SS shave! Woo-hoo for me.

Soapy Science in Doc's Special Blend (which I am currently 3017'ing). Two passes plus a S-N jawline pass on both sides left me with a comfortable DFS.

Since you asked, yes, I'm going to continue counting my SS shaves until I get to 250. I counted my old-school straight razor shaves up until 250, and then stopped. I figure I'll do the same for the SS. I know I'll be to 500 open blade shaves well before I get to 250 on the SS shaves (because I did a lot of straight razor shaves after I stopped counting....I may even be there right now for all I know), but when I get to 250 counted SS shaves and 250+ counted straight razor shaves, I'll be FOR SURE over 500 total.

Even now I'm not sure why I'm still counting, but after that I really don't see the point. I will let y'all know when I finish my 250th SS shave. It will be in about three and a half months.

Holy Black shave:

KIMG0155.JPG

Holy Black Snake Oil (pre-shave), shaving cream, moisturizer, and aftershave. Edwin Jagger brush, and deer bone handle shavette that I sourced locally, loaded with a German Wilkinson blade. 10/10.

Jun 24: Mostly Italian Weck Wednesday

Lather:
Proraso Green "Super Formula"
Brush: Omega 50068 "Bambino" (18/46mm)
Razor: Weck Sextoblade "Trade Sample Not For Sale"
Blade: Fromm Edge Ahead [3]

After last week's horrible Weck Wednesday shave, today I tasted redemption. I didn't have a cork, so I "corked" the blade using an empty toilet paper tube, and then stropped the blade for 26 laps on leather. Today's shave had that wonderful quality that I expect from my Weck. I may have gotten a tiny weeper near the corner of my mouth, but there was no sign of blood after the rinse, so I'm calling it a false positive ;-)
proxy.php

Jun 25: All-Italian "Load It Like You Hate It" Shave

Lather:
Cella Extra Extra "BIO" Crema di Barba
Brush: Omega 11047 "Mixed Midget" (20/43mm)
Razor: Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera Lama Intera 7/8
Blade: Bolzano Superinox half blade [19]
Balm: Proraso White Crema Liquida Dopobarba

I overloaded today - almost criminally. I absentmindedly loaded like I would any soap, but this is a cream. I gouged a hole in the center of the puck, and had enough lather for 7+ passes. I did a 4-pass shave, then an extra lather post-shave, and was able to squeeze at least two passes still on the brush back into the tub. I probably used up triple or more the required amount of soap - what a waste.

The bright side, though, is I don't think I've ever gotten such a smooth shave from the Universal. Maybe this new Cella works better with a thicker, pastier lather rather than my uber-slick thin and almost runny lather.
proxy.php

Parker SRW head shave, with a German Wilkinson blade. I used Cella for the lather, but wasn't happy with the performance on my noggin'. I'll try The Holy Black Shave Cream, next time. Still, all things considered, it was a 9/10 shave. Parkers are great shavettes.

Jun 28: Relaxing Sunday Shave

Lather:
Cella Extra Extra "BIO" Crema di Barba
Brush: Plisson pour l'Occitane synthetic (21/55mm)
Razor: Sanguine Coolcut R5 shavette
Blade: Bolzano Superinox half blade [20]

No rush this morning. Going to my son's for breakfast at 10:30 so lots of time to shave. I usually break out the Univinlions razor for two day stubble, but went with the Coolcut R5 and had a perfect shave. I don't use alum as a post shave product, but had I used it, I'm sure there would have been zero sting.

My repacking of the Cella to fix the hole I gouged out of it seems to have worked. I loaded lightly this time, maybe 10 seconds, and had ample perfect lather.
proxy.php

Top Bottom