What's new

What scents a soap must or must not have?

M

mtcn77

Anything sharper than patchouli I do not like. I could live without the lime scent if that is what is turning me off in Proraso Azur & Lime.

I have a lot of allergies ("hayfever" type stuff); I am highly allergic to cedar and juniper and I am quite a bit allergic to sandalwood. This automatically removes a lot of scents.

I HATE smoke or smoky scents.

I dislike leather, too.

My big LIKES are citrus, especially lime and bergamot; floral, especially orange blossom and honeysuckle; and peach. The other scent that really appeals to me is coca-cola.

Favorite scents I've tried include Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise (peach + floral) and Hydra (a melange of citrus); Mystic Waters Lime and Rosalimone; Barrister and Mann Le Grande Chypre; Wickham 1912 Club Cola.

M

mtcn77

The other scent that really appeals to me is coca-cola.
Congratulations, Sir!
You just qualified for our funny little experiment;
Do a soap test, smelling Proraso Azur & Lime alongside Tabac Original - unfoiled. See if you would find any familiarities between their scents and something you happen to like very much.🥤🥤🥤

I really tried to like Bay rum I tried three different samples. It didn't take. Eucalyptus just no. I don't get the attraction to barber shop scents. Scents i have that I like. TOBS sandalwood (I know not a real sandalwood). Stirling Haverford. I'm on a little Tobacco scent kick right now. Current favorite is Lather bros Everglades. This is a toned down citrus with a earthy scent, it is masculine. My wife likes sweet scents. She likes Cella, I got the almond cream aftershave from Stirling. I'm not crazy smelling like Christmas cookies but i do it for my wife. She like Fabulous cologne. I have to decide if I should Get the PAA version or the Oleo soapworks version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love marine diesel exhaust fumes. Any time i'm on a boat i'll stand over mid-stern and just breathe deeply while the engines are screaming. I would shave with that before any "dirt" scented soap. Smoked salmon soap and Thayers cucumber witch hazel if you want to smell just like a sushi roll.

If you ever get to Chicago, be sure to visit the German U-505 submarine exbibit at the Museum of Science and Industry. Although the U-boat dates back to WWII, the diesel fumes still permeate the hull. It is reported that German submariners would still smell like diesel fumes six months after ending their tour of duty. It sounds like you would love it.

The Fabulous scent has a huge tonka bean component.

Oleo Soapworks 40 is supposed to be based on Tom Ford's scent. However, it does not contain Tonka bean. The primary extractive from Tonka beans is coumarin. It has been banned in the USA by the FDA due to the similarity in chemical structure to Coumadin, the blood thinner. Coumadin is manufactured using coumarin as the base ingredient.

However, other plants such as cinnamon, lavender, licorice, and others also contain coumarin and have not been banned. Tonka bean, which I have not smelled since I live in the USA where it is banned, is supposed to smell like vanilla, almond and cinnamon. Thus, The scent notes in "40" are Fresh lavender, Bitter Almond , Vanilla , Orris Root, Irris Flower, Leather. I guess the Tonka bean vibe is supposed to come from the lavender, almond and vanilla.

I really tried to like Bay rum I tried three different samples. It didn't take. Eucalyptus just no. I don't get the attraction to barber shop scents. Scents i have that I like. TOBS sandalwood (I know not a real sandalwood). Stirling Haverford. I'm on a little Tobacco scent kick right now. Current favorite is Lather bros Everglades. This is a toned down citrus with a earthy scent, it is masculine. My wife likes sweet scents. She likes Cella, I got the almond cream aftershave from Stirling. I'm not crazy smelling like Christmas cookies but i do it for my wife. She like Fabulous cologne. I have to decide if I should Get the PAA version or the Oleo soapworks version.
Close to my tastes. I also love some Aventus/strong pineapple scents. And summertime I do the gamut of fruity scents.

Oleo Soapworks 40 is supposed to be based on Tom Ford's scent. However, it does not contain Tonka bean. The primary extractive from Tonka beans is coumarin. It has been banned in the USA by the FDA due to the similarity in chemical structure to Coumadin, the blood thinner. Coumadin is manufactured using coumarin as the base ingredient.

However, other plants such as cinnamon, lavender, licorice, and others also contain coumarin and have not been banned. Tonka bean, which I have not smelled since I live in the USA where it is banned, is supposed to smell like vanilla, almond and cinnamon. Thus, The scent notes in "40" are Fresh lavender, Bitter Almond , Vanilla , Orris Root, Irris Flower, Leather. I guess the Tonka bean vibe is supposed to come from the lavender, almond and vanilla.
Cool good to know. What do you think is closest to Tom Fords Fabulous PAA version or Oleo's version?

My wife loves that Tom Ford scent. I have no idea what Tonka bean smells like but fabulous is new car leathery to me.
I smell a lot of vanilla which I thought was the Tonka bean. But Rayclem says Tonka bean is banned, I smell the leather too. It is on the sweet side which is why my wife likes it. It is a strong scent my wife will ask to smell her perfume and it cant compete with Fabulous.

I don't like talc (barbershop), patchuoli, tonka bean, vanilla, dirt, white musk and flowers, except a little lavender.
Citrus are indifferent to me. I like fresh and aquatic or herbaceous and woody scents.

M

mtcn77

Anything sharper than patchouli I do not like. I could live without the lime scent if that is what is turning me off in Proraso Azur & Lime.
I tried Proraso Azur & Lime once again. This time I found out that when squeezing less than the intended amount it smells like bergamot and I don't like it.

When squeezed the right amount, it definitely gives off lime aromas; although very mild compared to the other scents it incorporates.

Definitely, a good shaving soap. Its performance far surpasses its overall scent because of the bergamot smell at the preparation stage. It smells good on the face, though - no problems there.

I tried Proraso Azur & Lime once again. This time I found out that when squeezing less than the intended amount it smells like bergamot and I don't like it.

When squeezed the right amount, it definitely gives off lime aromas; although very mild compared to the other scents it incorporates.

Definitely, a good shaving soap. Its performance far surpasses its overall scent because of the bergamot smell at the preparation stage. It smells good on the face, though - no problems there.

According to Fragrantica, Prorasao Azur & Lime has scent notes of: lime, mint, juniper betties, musk, patchouli, and moss. I have seen other descriptions that include orange and lemon in the citrus accord, but I suspect what you are detecting as bergamot may be due to the combination of citrus and mint. I have not seen any descriptions that include bergamot, however, it is commonly found in citrus scents.

Top Bottom