What's new

What scents a soap must or must not have?

I just want the soap to smell pleasant without being too strong and overbearing. The scent should rinse away and not linger very long. Citrus, herbal, wood, leather, masculine florals, it's all good.

I'm more interested in the way the soap performs than the scent. As long as the scent is decent, I don't mind using it.

Last edited:
M

mtcn77

I like the smell of rose, just not when it's overpowering. Food type scents I love and hate. I really don't like making myself salivate because my soap smells like something I'd eat
Funny enough, I find that Tabac smells like rose. It smells really pleasant natural rose odor to me.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I don't know what tabac smells like. It just smells like what shaving is supposed to smell like to me.
Tabac smells like this ...
1619143854060.gif

Hannah's Dad

I have over 200 soaps in my collection. I have managed to avoid most of the scents I do not like as I carefully review the scent notes before making a purchase. One soap that I smelled at Maggards Razors is Chiseled Face Midnight Stag. It has the scent notes of: Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamot, Vanilla. It is designed to smell like a motorcycle garage. For some people it might smell great, but it is definitely not for me.Southern Witchcraft's Valley of Ashes has some of the same type scents.

Barrister & Mann Diamond is supposed to smell like a baseball park, grass, dirt, caramel popcorn and beer. I am sure some folks love it, but I am not one of them.
I am one of them, Ray.
1619144089273.gif

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
  • No vetiver for me.
  • Tobacco is a maybe. I enjoy tobacco blossom, but usually not tobacco leaf.
  • Leather notes usually ruin things for me as well, which is weird because I grew up around horses and rodeo and I love the smell of good leather.
  • Lime is usually a turn-off, but I just tried Zingari Man Lime, Gin, and Ice and I enjoyed it.
  • Lemongrass is another red flag for me, but not always a deal breaker.
  • I'm not a big fan of labdanum.
  • Not very fond of Juniper.
You would HATE to smell me, at least 90% of the time!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have over 200 soaps in my collection. I have managed to avoid most of the scents I do not like as I carefully review the scent notes before making a purchase. One soap that I smelled at Maggards Razors is Chiseled Face Midnight Stag. It has the scent notes of: Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamot, Vanilla. It is designed to smell like a motorcycle garage. For some people it might smell great, but it is definitely not for me.Southern Witchcraft's Valley of Ashes has some of the same type scents.

Barrister & Mann Diamond is supposed to smell like a baseball park, grass, dirt, caramel popcorn and beer. I am sure some folks love it, but I am not one of them.
Yeah, I'd have to pass on those as well. Yuck.

Hannah's Dad

I think you must be one of those folks that are okay with a dog licking your face! Because that's what mine would have gone and done. But when I had dogs I only used Gillette Foamy!

My dogs licked my face all the time. Then I went and took Microbiology and I quit licking my own face!
My Golden Retriever licked my hands to wake me up each morning; but I didn’t care for face-licking.

Feeling better, Dave? (I hope)

I've heard about Midnight Stag but never looked at the scent list. I figured it wasn't for me when I read a small snippet by someone that said it was worse than "deer p!ss". That is not something draws me in. lol

Maybe not. Those just don't smell good on me.

That is a great point that many of us tend to forget. The aroma of our own body chemistry combines with the aromas of the scents we apply. The aroma emitted overall can be quite different on one person vs another. Not every scent that smells good in the tub or bottle is going to smell good once applied to your body.

I've heard about Midnight Stag but never looked at the scent list. I figured it wasn't for me when I read a small snippet by someone that said it was worse than "deer p!ss". That is not something draws me in. lol

Yet I have met some people who like it. It is one of the more popular scent that Chiseled Face sells. When CF developed their new Silk Tallow formula, Midnight Stag was one of four soaps released in that base. Thus, somebody has to be buying it. I was not one of them.

Give me a soap that smells like smoked salmon. Or goat vindaloo. Or diesel exhaust from a poorly maintained bus. Or like a stack of new wooden railroad ties or sleepers soaked in creosote sitting in the heat of an August sun.

Love marine diesel exhaust fumes. Any time i'm on a boat i'll stand over mid-stern and just breathe deeply while the engines are screaming. I would shave with that before any "dirt" scented soap. Smoked salmon soap and Thayers cucumber witch hazel if you want to smell just like a sushi roll.

Top Bottom