What's new

What razor or razors have you purchased to keep as spares?

I did not exactly buy razors as spares, but before my retirement I bought some razors twice to keep one at home and one in my travel kit, as I was doing several overnight trips every month.

I had or have two each of these: Merkur Futur, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Red Tip, Gillette Slim Adjustable, Gillette Super Adjustable, Mühle R41, Mühle Rocca

Beside these safety razors, I also own several straights where I bought the same model more than once for the same reason, or for the two 7-day sets that I have.

B.

I also have spares. The main ones are the Gillette slims and Merkur 45 (bakelite). The Merkur is my fave when i put it on a different handle. Also I really like the really cheap(not quality, price) Charcoal Goods slant designed head sold on West Coast Shaving. Also spares of gillette 109 which i do not use at all anymore. Oh and yes I have 2 ikon tek death machines (no idea why) and muhle r41 post 2011. And also backups of PAAC fantasma plastic stuff because it does crack over time.

I have a spare Merkur 15c as well as spare parts for it. I thought Merkur was in a bit a rough spot business-wise and I didn't want to not have this razor in my collection at any point. However, I've recently read that Merkur is in the process of making some new molds for their razors because the old ones have deteriorated over the years, affecting quality. If this is true, I'll also buy the new editions of some Merkur razors.

Last edited:
I am susceptible to the Gillette Ranger Tech and have owned several at the same time. I finally bought one that appears to be unused. This is one that I will not divest. Sometimes one comes up for sale that has a mint case but the razor is not that great. I also can’t resist the Gillette blue tips.

Gillette Techs...I have a BUNCH of Techs.
Same with me. Love the tech. Got a slim adjustable along with the aristocrat. But I bought the standard slim because it is a birth quarter one not specifically as a spare. Also three 1948-50 aristocrats. One of the 1948-50 aristocrats is a spare and the third was a Christmas present to my dad

I'm not big on buying doubles of safety razors. I do however have a pair of (U) 1974 Gillette Techs. They're birth year razors for me. I got the first a few years ago and picked up the second for almost nothing recently.

I'm not big on buying doubles of safety razors. I do however have a pair of (U) 1974 Gillette Techs. They're birth year razors for me. I got the first a few years ago and picked up the second for almost nothing recently.
And they’re down right amazing razors

Because of my dad, I usually buy two. And yes, it is in my sign. ..My DAD gave me RAD. He has a bedroom chest filled with razors...
So...again if does like em ...mine
I have many slants in dup.
My personal favs.
In my DE non slant dups (or backup I guess) week day rotation would be:
R.R. G.C 76p (or 68 or 84)
Karve CB OC C (brass)
Outlander (brass)
R.R. BBS AS
Slants (for heavy stubble)
Weekends: straight edges
That's my story and I am sticking with it..
Cheers,
BFX

I just have one an aluminum Henson ++. Can’t imagine anything will happen to it unless the handyman in the building walks off with it.

If that happens I will order another and not shave for a couple days.

Probably replace with the Ti.

I've had duplicates but never spares. I don't think I could ever wear a razor out to the point where I'm thinking "Damn, I should've gotten a spare"

I have two gold 1950’s Gillette Aristocrats. I love how they shave and one is more of a beat up user and the other is nearly mint.

I doubt my user version will ever wear out, but they were both inexpensive so I bought both.

Top Bottom