What's new

What razor or razors have you purchased to keep as spares?

I have spares of almost everything in my lineup. I have some irrational fear of needing a backup in case one spontaneously combusts and the company decides to stop manufacturing them. It’s weird I guess but it’s how I roll.

Hensons
Overlanders
Tataras
Mericas
Winning
Gamechangers

You get the idea..

A hip to my Blackbird Ti is the Rockwell T2SS. Maybe the Blackland Adjustable if it it ever arrives. If not, the Pearl Flexi.

My daily driver is. 1924 Shovel head.

I hav a spare so I can use when traveling; cruises, visits to family, etc

I have spare just in case something happens to the first two.

Loving my aluminum Karve Overlander. The arthritis is progressing along nicely...I drop stuff all the time.

Considering a backup.

Be well
Jay

I have mild osteoarthritis in the hands, which is not a problem for shaving. Though might be if it gets worse.

But I do have a slight tremor. Mainly a concern when initially positioning the razor to start shaving, before it is in motion. Once it is in motion it is no problem at all. On my worse days I need to hold my razor hand steady with my other hand to get safely positioned. But that doesn't happen very often.

I have two Fatboys (59 and 60) and three Slims (63,64,65. 65 is my birth year). I simply love having them in my collection, and try to use them all. The Slims are my favourite, without a doubt, and the 64 Slim gets the most use because it was the first vintage razor I bought, and it offers a sublime shave.

I will no doubt collect other vintage models; in fact, going antiquing this coming weekend and hoping I'll find something special.

In terms of modern razors, I can see myself having a backup Rockwell 6C - it's such a great razor.

After Muhle changed the design of the R41 back in 2013ish (I really liked the 2011 design), and I couldn't buy a replacement, my mentality changed a bit and having backups became something I was interested in. My rationale is the same as yours.

So, with that in mind, I have two 2011 R41s (my original, which is showing wear, as well as another in better shape that I purchased a few years ago).

Then, when it looked like Stirling was selling out of their SS razor, I purchased extra of it as well. I may have three of these? I have more than one of each base plate, but I figured that finding something equivalent to the HA base plate (which I really enjoy) would be challenging.

I also own two Wolfman SS WR2 1.65 SBs, but with different handles.

It seems a little silly to have multiples of some of these, particularly the stainless ones, but I like knowing the backups are there just in case. It also makes feel okay about traveling with some of my favorites. I also don't pickup the R41 all that often, but that one was the first DE that I really liked, so it has sentimental value I suppose.
I also bought an extra Sterling SS HA razor when they were liquidating their stock. My biggest concern was breaking the cap screw.

I guess I shouldn’t bring up my duplicate Simpson brushes.

I usually only buy duplicates of vintage razors since the assumption is I could buy an extra modern razor any time. I love classic open comb razors and have multiple gold 30s-era Gillette New razors, multiple Segal Unitary razors (nickel and gold) and several Schick G types in various colors.

View attachment 1679905
"TRAVALONG" and "BIGELOW PARKIN"
1. Their weird design. (I like unusual things)
2. They are no longer being manufactured.
3. It takes luck to meet the perfect look.
4. They are easy to carry, I can play with them anytime. (so there is also a risk of loss)
Travalong-; great concept, WHAT a PIA to assemble !
B P -; came with a blade installed, I cut nine of me eleven fingers before removing the blade for good!

IMG_2000_01_01_3486lightending.JPG

No such thing as a spare, when they come in clours, or boxes, or sets, or with other bargains.... like :001_rolle I roll my eyes at myself.:out:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Travalong-; great concept, WHAT a PIA to assemble !
B P -; came with a blade installed, I cut nine of me eleven fingers before removing the blade for good!

View attachment 1688493

No such thing as a spare, when they come in clours, or boxes, or sets, or with other bargains.... like :001_rolle I roll my eyes at myself.:out:
It has an unusual design after all, so it does take a little getting used to. But I wasn't hurt by it.
At first I found it a little difficult to install, but after a moderate amount of exploration and practice, I can now assemble the Travalong very smoothly.

I have talked about my method in another thread, also for your reference.
A closer look at the Travalong. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-closer-look-at-the-travalong.628220/post-11889260

buying spares of "heirloom quality razors that can be passed down to your grandchildren" seems counter productive to me.
the only razor I thought of getting a spare of is my Merkur Progress, but only because it is not the question of if, but when the threads would fail. But as long as Merkur is in business, I won't even buy a spare top cap.

I keep a King C Gillette as a spare. It was the first razor I bought getting into the hobby. Now I own a RazoRock German 37 and a Game Changer .84OC.

It has an unusual design after all, so it does take a little getting used to. But I wasn't hurt by it.
At first I found it a little difficult to install, but after a moderate amount of exploration and practice, I can now assemble the Travalong very smoothly.

I have talked about my method in another thread, also for your reference.
A closer look at the Travalong. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-closer-look-at-the-travalong.628220/post-11889260
Still not helping, I've even got the case, instructions and outer box < best option in the box you go you mongrel little thing!:cursing:

Top Bottom