What's new

What razor or razors have you purchased to keep as spares?

As the title asks - what razor(s) means so much to you that you’ve bought a 2nd to keep as a spare?
I guess this could be for various personal reasons. For me, it’s the fear of the discontinuation of the model, or worse, the manufacturer stops producing or goes out of business entirely.
I’ve seen that happen a few times in the last couple of years.

For me, I’m sitting here contemplating buying a 2nd Karve Overlander in stainless to keep as a spare. If I lost or damaged mine I would be incredibly distraught as I think I’ve finally found my holy grail razor.
I have barely touched any of the dozen or so others in my drawer since getting the Overlander last December. It’s just that good for me.

I have been waiting patiently for Chris to release a stainless Wagner handle to sub for the Overlander standard handle but I am beginning to have doubts that’s going to happen anytime soon. It’s hard to tell without seeing it, but that handle looks to be really nice, at least in the brass version on the Karve website.

So let’s hear it… What razor(s) have you purchased twice or are thinking about doing so to keep as a spare?
This is not a bought-then-sold-then-bought-again out of regret question.
I think that’s already been asked in the forum.

Cheers!

After Muhle changed the design of the R41 back in 2013ish (I really liked the 2011 design), and I couldn't buy a replacement, my mentality changed a bit and having backups became something I was interested in. My rationale is the same as yours.

So, with that in mind, I have two 2011 R41s (my original, which is showing wear, as well as another in better shape that I purchased a few years ago).

Then, when it looked like Stirling was selling out of their SS razor, I purchased extra of it as well. I may have three of these? I have more than one of each base plate, but I figured that finding something equivalent to the HA base plate (which I really enjoy) would be challenging.

I also own two Wolfman SS WR2 1.65 SBs, but with different handles.

It seems a little silly to have multiples of some of these, particularly the stainless ones, but I like knowing the backups are there just in case. It also makes feel okay about traveling with some of my favorites. I also don't pickup the R41 all that often, but that one was the first DE that I really liked, so it has sentimental value I suppose.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
354132685_684632433705158_5337840712971352839_n.jpg

"TRAVALONG" and "BIGELOW PARKIN"
1. Their weird design. (I like unusual things)
2. They are no longer being manufactured.
3. It takes luck to meet the perfect look.
4. They are easy to carry, I can play with them anytime. (so there is also a risk of loss)

I sold all my spares as they were good available razors. Looking back, I don't know what would be a reason to save a Rockwell 6s for later. Don't think it will rot or something. Same for my 2 spare Flexi.
Instead i tried other razors..

I have a box of these little bad boys. they are super light and scary sharp.
Since getting to Japan I have yet to get my balsa strop set up so been using feathers in my GoodFella DE. But these Kai razors are great to use if I forget to lock and load a new feather. This company also do regular disposables too, so might grab a box next time.
i currently only have four straights. one vintage WII Thomas turner which needs honing (it has a smile and loadsa pitting), and I have 3 dovos, 1 bismarck with white scales, 1 bergischer lowe and one regular best quality. as i shave 6 days a week i defo "need" 3 more i reckon, just dont know where to go next.

Attachments

• 20230503_223114.jpg
    20230503_223114.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Wilkinson Sword (now Treet) Black Plastic DE
L5
L5 with SB and Open Comb
Yuma
Brent Berkeley (Baili BD191head) with sandalwood handle
Schick E2
Wilkinson Sword/Schick Protector 3 cart'
SuperMax cart'
Boots/Tesco MaxShave 3/xprt 3 cart
Tesco xprt 5 cart'
Turkish Safed shavette

I've bought and sold many high end razors costing much more than any of the above, but I've rationalized my rotation down to these all of which give me the high quality comfortable BBS shaves I demand

Last edited:
DE89/R89 heads. I have at least 6, maybe more. I lost track.
I have several duplicates of others, mainly RazoRock, that were not purchased with the purpose of having a spare. They were accidental purchases, retail therapy, or whatever you want to call them.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a sort of spare ESC Claymore Evolution. The one I'm using is a matte finish. They only did one production run in polished Stainless Steel so I have that as well. It doesn't exactly count as a back-up, I don't think.

The only true back-ups I have are two Progress razors in both lengths: the shorter handle for me; the longer handle Progress is what our son prefers. I do have Mergress razors in both lengths as well, but I didn't buy them as back-ups. I do have some spare parts for both Progress razors and while I was at it, I ordered some spare parts for my Merkur 37C as well. The spare parts are mostly top caps as they seem to be what fails over time.

Top Bottom