What's new

New found love for what I considered a mediocre razor...

I have two copies of Baili BR171 (which apparently also goes by 131 ?). A chrome one I bought just to try out, and a rose gold one an Amazon seller sent by mistake and didn't even want back.

It's the one with a thin, short head (leaves blade tabs exposed) and a straight skinny handle.

The "upgraded" version, BD176 (covered blade tabs, sculptured handle) is one of my favorites, as it's very mild and forgiving yet is perfectly capable of BBS. It's the razor I use to let my face recover from a bad shave the day before.

I tried it when I got it first, figured it was a bit rougher than 176, and tossed it into the bin. This was even before Covid.

I decided to try it now that I believe my technique is better. Paired it with a heaver handle (Maggard MR18) to avoid wanting to apply pressure. Used Astra SP on its 2nd shave.

Got a clean, smooth BBS shave with 3 passes and a minimal cleanup in "usual" areas. But what floored me is that in my usual trouble spot around Adam's apple, I have no remains of stubble whatsoever, and no irritation. This doesn't happen often.

Now, a big part of it is the blade - Astras between 2nd and 4th use are at their best. But still, I think I greatly underestimated the ability of this cheap little razor.

1707068897683.png

I love my 131; nimble, forgiving, and excellent daily shaver.

I don’t have the tab-covered 176, but do have their tab-covered TTO. Hate the fact that they widened the whole head including the comb. It makes the corners of the blades unreachable for those of us who have hair growing on nostril ”seam”…no problems there for the 131!

Interesting. I don't have a caliper so can't measure mine to .2 mm. I guess I will just use the 2nd one and see if it's as good as the 1st. .2 mm difference is likely not by design, but due to a variation in dies.

FYI--It's not Zamak, it's chrome plated brass.

Sorry, though the original Gillette Techs were brass, the Baili is actually zamak. You can prove it to yourself by dropping the base plate, cap or handle on the counter. With a brass Tech, you will hear a ringing sound. With the Baili, you will get a higher pitched sound characteristic of zinc alloys.

Also, even Baili's website (and Maggard's, etc.) say it is zinc alloy. This is a razor that sells for under $2 in quantity. It's not brass.

1707181741841.png

Sorry, though the original Gillette Techs were brass, the Baili is actually zamak. You can prove it to yourself by dropping the base plate, cap or handle on the counter. With a brass Tech, you will hear a ringing sound. With the Baili, you will get a higher pitched sound characteristic of zinc alloys.

Also, even Baili's website (and Maggard's, etc.) say it is zinc alloy. This is a razor that sells for under $2 in quantity. It's not brass.

View attachment 1791885

Yes, they are dirt cheap.

If I get a few more shaves like this one, it will replace BD176 as my all-favorite Baili razor.

Copied from thread mentioned in post #6 above:
@Babou

It's your lucky day. The aggressive BT131 is just in front of me. And I just found the BT173 which is the same model but with the rose gold plating. Both bottom plates measure 25.2mm. The cap on the aggressive BT131 is 19.3mm, the cap on the gold one is almost 19.5mm. So that is the difference, I have at least 3-4 of the BT131 that are with the wide cap [19.5 - less aggressive] .

I just measured mine and I have the 19.3 narrow cap. My baseplate measures 25.3 mm though.

I’ve seen the rose gold ones pop-up now and then in department stores but never purchased one because I dislike the color, and assumed it was the same as my current 131. Now I hope to see them again.

Copied from thread mentioned in post #6 above:

I just measured mine and I have the 19.3 narrow cap. My baseplate measures 25.3 mm though.

I’ve seen the rose gold ones pop-up now and then in department stores but never purchased one because I dislike the color, and assumed it was the same as my current 131. Now I hope to see them again.
I have one or two rose golds (they are always with the plastic travel box I think). Both are the mild variant. Have 2 aggressive ones but they are only the regular 131 (chrome in blister without plastic box).
So the rose golds are like the majority of 131 (mild).

Good man!!

The main thing IMO is that you ‘revisited’ your 131 and found it performs far above it’s price point!! IMHO, the biggest change from your initial evaluation is that your technique has improved. CONGRATULATIONS!!

:a29::a29:

I do not have a 131, but I enjoy my inexpensive Tech clone (Lord L6) that also performs far above its price point!!

Baili numbering is confusing and overlapping. It seems that the “classic” 131 is sometimes sold as 171, and 176 is also sold as an “upgraded” 171.

I am pretty sure that I ordered mine as 171.

At any rate, tried the rose gold head on the same heavier Maggard handle, got about the same efficient yet non irritating shave. I think it’s going to edge out the 176, since it’s pretty forgiving yet more efficient. I also like its thinness. Makes it easy to accurately shave around my goatee, with thick heads I can’t really see where the blade is.

Good man!!

The main thing IMO is that you ‘revisited’ your 131 and found it performs far above it’s price point!! IMHO, the biggest change from your initial evaluation is that your technique has improved. CONGRATULATIONS!!

:a29::a29:

I do not have a 131, but I enjoy my inexpensive Tech clone (Lord L6) that also performs far above its price point!!
Lord L6 is a Merkur knock-off.
The Tech knock-off is the Lord L5 (L.122).

FYI--It's not Zamak, it's chrome plated brass.
From an Amazon.ca listing for the BR171:

Key Points About the Razor​

• Some customer might receive the upgrade version of this product which is BD176, it's safer and better. If this confuse you, please do not make the order. Sorry for the mistake.
  • Absolutely original design and manufacturing by BAILI.
  • Made of Zinc alloy, anti-rust.
  • Agressive and close shave.
  • Reduce waste, spend less and shave better!
  • Both for experts and beginners.
Zamak razors can shave perfectly well, of course.

. Charles

From an Amazon.ca listing for the BR171:

Zamak razors can shave perfectly well, of course.

. Charles

I honestly don't understand the obsession with brass.

A well made Zamak razor will last a very long time. eBay has plenty of used 50 year old Gillette Techs with zamac top caps. And if you really like something like this Baili, it's so cheap that getting a second copy for storage is still going to cost less than a beat to dunk old Gillette goes for now.

Another inexpensive but very effective razor is Pearl, which I bought in November 2023. This razor earns 100% of every ruble spent. At first, I couldn't get used to the long handle for me. But now I've dealt with it and I don't regret this purchase.

Top Bottom