What's new

What razor in your collection is your favorite go-to razor?

I will never sell any that I currently have. But. If I can ONLY keep one then the Merkur 39C. Great shaver, reasonable in price point and efficient enough to rip through 5 days growth with ease.

Wow, that’s quite an endorsement considering the nice Timeless kit you let us all borrow! Maybe the 39C should make the rounds next. :)

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Honestly - the straight razor my now-retired barber would use after a hair cut. Hot towel, careful touch, aftershave splash while I just relaxed and trusted.

Today, it’s a Rockwell 6S. Extraordinary razor, but not nearly as satisfying.

My go-to razor is my Merkur 41c. I love that little thing. It's mild but cuts the hairs really smoothly. If I was ever to change it, I would get a Razorock Old Type HD, because I feel like the heads are the exact same (I might be wrong here) and I like the HD handle more.

Geez. I don't know for sure - but right now I'd say:

New - "Muhle r89 Twist" which is a big comfortable Cadillac of a razor that is mellow and efficient. Well, I suppose it's a German razor so maybe it's an Audi S8 ;-)

Vintage - almost certainly the Gillette New Style Short Comb. It has a lot more attitude than the R89 Twist, and unlike the Twist, it WILL bite if you toss it around too much. But if you treat it with respect it'll give you a fine comfortable shave of unparallelled closeness and smoothness.

Tatara Masamune and CG Lvl 2. Often use one on one side and one on the other side during the same shave.
IMG_3509 copy.jpg

I have several, Feather AS-D2, Merkur 34C, Rockwell 6S (plate 4-5), and the Occam's DE and a handful of others that I wasted money on. Honestly, of the named razors, I am quite satisfied and use them all on a rotating basis. There is no such thing as one favorite. Before I started, I had a bunch of plastic razors too. At least now, I am saving the ocean.

The Feather razor. I read some great reviews about it and in my experience, it lives up to the love. I can shave with it without being super careful and I don't get any nicks. The only issue I've had is if the cream/soap is a little to dry or thick, it seems to clog up under the blade and won't cut as well until I rinse it. But that's my issue for not having the right consistency.

Based on the fact that since I received my Game Changer .84 Open Comb in January I haven't used another DE (I did try the RR Hawk but it didn't keep) I would say that it is my go-to razor. It just works well for me.

Gillette NEW long comb with a Cooncatbob Bull Mastiff handle...the NEW was my first DE, and it's still my favorite. Unless I have a few days' growth...that'll clog up the NEW something awful. In that case, my Tradere OC Gen 1 does the trick nicely.

Top Bottom