What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

OBIF'23 Astra SP (3/28)

Cream: Cremo original
Razor/Blade:
Head/Neck - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - Charcoal Goods Cu gen 2 Level 2 w/ Astra SP (3/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Speick
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
full

8/10

As good a shave as I could expect. My neck is still irritated from yesterday's lion attack.

I picked up a new Charcoal Goods razor for the level 2 base plate. The looks are great but the handling wasn't as comfortable as the gen 3 everyday I previously purchased.

I don't like handle heavy razors and this gen 2 solid handle is very solid. With the PAA Ascension the handle felt heavy just holding it but while shaving I didn't notice the weight much at all. With the solid hammered handle I felt it the entire time I used it. It does look great. I think I will try this level 2 head with the gen 3 hollowed handle tomorrow. I'm assuming they will thread together. Some people that like heavy handles vs head will like the gen 2 solid handle setup.

The level 2 head of course was more aggressive. I could feel the blade vs the neutral exposure of the everyday. This is by design and expected. But the head design on the gen 3 baseplate to have the ends indented I think was a nice improvement. Easier to hold, twist on the handle and separate the top and bottom plates. Also seems like the lather slots are more effective on the gen3.

Overall first impressions of gen 2 vs gen 3 is I like the gen 3 better. I know people scoff at the hollow handle as an inferior thing but for me it balances the razor out better and feels great while shaving. I also like the gen 3 head design better as well. Looks and function wise.

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Brush: Ever-Ready rebuild (synthetic)
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE 89
Blade: Astra SP
Postshave: Gillette Gel

This was a 10/10. I haven't found too many combinations better than this one. I'm an unabashed Astra SP fan and love the EJ razor; so well-balanced, not too aggressive, just right. The Stirling Soap Co. Bay Rum soap is terrific too. So no complaints whatsoever. Just a terrific shave.

proxy.php

Top Bottom