What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

Schick DE Razor - Bolzano Superinox (7)

IMG-2708.jpg

Yaqi Flipside Head + Derby Extra (2). I really believe that the balance between the mild and the agressive side of Yaqi's flipside head is just on point. I can easily say that the agressive side (also known as Scalloped head, it is the same one that Yaqi use in their 'Yaqi Classic' safety razor) is much more effective than EJ DE89 with the same blade in it. And by the effectiveness I understand 'how close it shaves'. And on the other hand open comb side is a notch or two milder than EJ DE89. So I find that this side is good for the second pass (I mostly do ATG here on the neck, and XTG on cheeks) that would possibly irritate the skin if done roughly.

Derby Extra is a soft blade. It is not sharp, but it is sharp enough to cut your whiskers. Here, of course, we should take the beard type into consideration also. If your beard is thin, then Derby Extras may be a good choice for you. Will I buy another one? Meh, I don't know, but probably not. The thing with the Derby blades that they sell here in Turkish market is that they don't have any standardization. For example, let's discuss the Derby Usta. From the same package you take a blade, and it just cuts everything smoothly, you would even say that it is similar to an Astra SP, then you take another one, it just tugs, does not cut at all etc. I really don't like this. That's why here in Turkey most barbers are using Perma-Sharps.

Yaqi Flipside Head + Derby Extra (2). I really believe that the balance between the mild and the agressive side of Yaqi's flipside head is just on point. I can easily say that the agressive side (also known as Scalloped head, it is the same one that Yaqi use in their 'Yaqi Classic' safety razor) is much more effective than EJ DE89 with the same blade in it. And by the effectiveness I understand 'how close it shaves'. And on the other hand open comb side is a notch or two milder than EJ DE89. So I find that this side is good for the second pass (I mostly do ATG here on the neck, and XTG on cheeks) that would possibly irritate the skin if done roughly.

Derby Extra is a soft blade. It is not sharp, but it is sharp enough to cut your whiskers. Here, of course, we should take the beard type into consideration also. If your beard is thin, then Derby Extras may be a good choice for you. Will I buy another one? Meh, I don't know, but probably not. The thing with the Derby blades that they sell here in Turkish market is that they don't have any standardization. For example, let's discuss the Derby Usta. From the same package you take a blade, and it just cuts everything smoothly, you would even say that it is similar to an Astra SP, then you take another one, it just tugs, does not cut at all etc. I really don't like this. That's why here in Turkey most barbers are using Perma-Sharps.
Thanks for your explanation of the Derby blades.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom