What's new

What "manly" cocktails do you like?

I do not think any women are going to be offended, just so long as they are not expected to drink any beer. :) My wife likes a good Manhattan or Martini. She is not much for Scotch or unmixed bourbon.

It is all good!

when my wife and I were first hanging out, I would randomly experiment on her with whiskeys and she had some of the weirdest but oddly specific descriptions ... like

“this tastes like I am inhaling the diesel fumes of a noncompliant car”

( you can probably guess this one :))

“This tastes like I am chewing old bic pen caps”

“This tastes like an old leather shoe that has been soaking in water over night”

etc etc ...

the outcome of this experimentation is she loves Oban and Yamazaki.

Conversely, she does not really like beer but loves Guinness ( preferably at a good Irish bar )

regards
Avi

Last edited:
I will now hop over to the anecdotal side of the fence rather than generalize based on facts and scientific surveys. Based on my personal experience entertaining at my home, women really like Manhattans if you use the burbon soaked cherries (but not Old Fashionds-go figure). They also like sweet sparkling wines like Asti Spumontte-they will drink that stuff by the gallon! They hate Martinnis or anything made with gin. They are about 50/50 on rum based drinks.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
No.

So, now that we've covered the basis of my opinion and the scope of my observation, what are yours?

Here is mine:

"The latest results are from a July 5-9 update of Gallup's annual Consumption Habits poll. Gallup has found that beer is most popular among men; this year, 62% of male drinkers say they prefer beer, compared with 19% of female drinkers. Less-educated and middle-income Americans also tend to choose beer. "

[/QUOTE]

You need to read the question on that survey: "Do you most often drink liquor, wine or beer?" Asking someone to name their favorite option gives little insight on whether that person likes or dislikes the other options. I like all three. A whole heck of a lot of other folks do, too. Given my habits over the last couple of years, I might even choose "liquor" on that survey, because I've been drinking more liquor than beer over that time, but that doesn't mean I don't like beer or wine. I would have like to have seen a followup question along the lines of "what percentage of the time do you choose liquor/wine/beer?"

If you really want to get nitpicky about that survey, it doesn't even ask what the respondent prefers, but what they most often choose. Granted, it's not much a stretch, but it's not the same question. It would just help sort out the folks that say "I like ____, but I don't drink it much because ____" (e.g., "I like beer, but I don't drink it much because of the carbs"). It probably wouldn't sway the results that much, though.

In any case, your survey more defeats than supports your position that women don't like beer, especially when coupled with the one I presented.

Last edited:
Here is mine:

"The latest results are from a July 5-9 update of Gallup's annual Consumption Habits poll. Gallup has found that beer is most popular among men; this year, 62% of male drinkers say they prefer beer, compared with 19% of female drinkers. Less-educated and middle-income Americans also tend to choose beer. "

You need to read the question on that survey: "Do you most often drink liquor, wine or beer?" Asking someone to name their favorite option gives little insight on whether that person likes or dislikes the other options. I like all three. A whole heck of a lot of other folks do, too. Given my habits over the last couple of years, I might even choose "liquor" on that survey, because I've been drinking more liquor than beer over that time, but that doesn't mean I don't like beer or wine. I would have like to have seen a followup question along the lines of "what percentage of the time do you choose liquor/wine/beer?"

If you really want to get nitpicky about that survey, it doesn't even ask what the respondent prefers, but what they most often choose. Granted, it's not much a stretch, but it's not the same question. It would just help sort out the folks that say "I like ____, but I don't drink it much because ____" (e.g., "I like beer, but I don't drink it much because of the carbs"). It probably wouldn't sway the results that much, though.

In any case, your survey more defeats than supports your position that women don't like beer, especially when coupled with the one I presented.
[/QUOTE]

Did you read the entire article that I linked, not just the part that I quoted?

It drills down into the data and answers your question directly: men prefer beer more so than women do by more than 2:1.

Moreover, as I said above:

"One element of this question revolves around gender differences and tasting profiles.
Tim Hanni, MW (www.timhanni.com) has published a well done report and survey on this subject. "Beverage Preferences, Attitudes, & Behavior of 'Sweet' vs. 'Tolerant' Wine Consumers" http://www.timhanni.com/ConsumerStudySummary.pdf
His finding show that 64% of women are sweet tasters as opposed to 28% of men.
Sweet taster have the highest level of taste sensitivity thus needing sweetness to offset other tastes.
When this is expanded to beer preferences, sweet tasters prefer lighter beers or cocktails, that tolerant tasters.
It may be simply that more women, than men, are sensitive tasters and thus prefer sweeter drinks than beer."

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Did you read the entire article that I linked, not just the part that I quoted?

It drills down into the data and answers your question directly: men prefer beer more so than women do by more than 2:1.

I read the entire article, as well as the 2016 version that also got linked. Both asked only two questions: ""Do you most often drink liquor, wine or beer?" and "Do you have occasion to use alcoholic beverages such as liquor, wine, or beer, or are you a total abstainer?" That's it. That doesn't answer my question even indirectly, much less directly.

As I said before, it doesn't even ask "prefer." However, even if we assume that it did in that first question and that the results are the same, "prefer" does not mean "I do not like the alternatives."

Now, as to whether men prefer beer more often than women do, yes, those data support that position. The same goes for the study I posted, which shows a similar 2:1 result.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
men prefer beer more so than women do by more than 2:1.
The same goes for the study I posted, which shows a similar 2:1 result.

Glad you two managed to finally agree.

Time to share a manly cocktail and make nice?

1597786343876.png

My Grandfather graduated college with a teaching degree - this coincided with US entry into WW I, and with his family foundry engineering background, he was sent to San Antonio, TX where he became a combat flight instructor. He once had a night out with the boys , drinking mixed drinks and woke up severely hung over in the lock up.
John M. Mullica US Army 1917.jpg
Unlike his buddies, 'Get Drunk and Throw Up' wasn't a weekly hobby or anything he wanted to repeat, so he formulated this guideline that served him well throughout his lifetime: "Drink only beer, or anything that fits a shotglass".

I like an Old Fashioned with a nice, spicy, high proof bourbon like Knob Creek (especially single barrel). Also enjoy Manhattans. A real whiskey sour with bourbon, fresh squeezed lemon, and egg white is also good.

During the warmer months, I do really enjoy Gin & Tonics. Not sure if that classifies as manly or not. Tanqueray, fever tree or Q tonic, extra lime.

I am lately enthralled with cognac or brandy. Neat after dinner or before bed.

When I’m up at camp with my father and brother, a nice Manhattan or old fashioned made with Bulleit rye is preferred. I do like the orange Angostura bitters.

At home with the wife I mix up a lot of cocktails on the weekends. Saint Buck is our latest kick. Sidecars are fun. She likes to taste citrus in her cocktails and I gravitate towards dark liquors.

At home alone, a glass of nice bourbon, sometimes with ice or a splash of water, or a cold beer is a weekend day drink.

Regards

What is a Saint Buck? I tend to think of a "buck" as being the same thing as a "mule." A base liquor, such as whiskey or vodka, lime/lime juice, and ginger beer, or maybe ginger ale. Thanks.
It is like a mule!

2-3 measures brandy
1 measure lime juice
1 measure elderflower liqueur
2 dash bitters

stir with ice and put over ice in a highball glass. Top with a quality ginger beer.

At least that’s how I make it. I have no knowledge of the history.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Well, I am a man. So I assume that whatever I drink is manly. I like martinis (3:1 Beefeater and Dolin, well stirred, with an olive), old fashioneds, negronis, Manhattans, Sazeracs, and gin & tonics (hooked on Fevertree light tonic). I also like good whisky, but I would call that a drink, not a cocktail. Favorites include Bowmore, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, various Glen Rothes, Aberlour, Highland Park, and, when I want to take a breather from being manly, Dalwhinnie. I live in Texas where margaritas are ubiquitous. I have concluded I do not like them.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I will now hop over to the anecdotal side of the fence rather than generalize based on facts and scientific surveys. Based on my personal experience entertaining at my home, women really like Manhattans if you use the burbon soaked cherries (but not Old Fashionds-go figure). They also like sweet sparkling wines like Asti Spumontte-they will drink that stuff by the gallon! They hate Martinnis or anything made with gin. They are about 50/50 on rum based drinks.
My wife's loves martinis and old fashioneds and hates Manhattans. She also loves football. Lucky me!

My current go tos...
  • Dirty Martinis (either with olive brine or Claussen pickle brine)
  • Old Fashioneds
  • G&T
  • Ranch Water (reposado tequila, Topo Chico or club soda, and lime juice)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know I have been in lockdown mode for just shy of a year, but when did they change the definition of “manly”?

A friend left an open bottle of blended Scotch (Monkey Shoulder) with me when he visited about two weeks ago. Never was much of a Scotch guy, so I had to figure out what to do with the rest. Had a Rob Roy, a Rusty Nail, a Godfather, a Dickie Ward, and a Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Surprisingly, I believe I preferred it neat.

Top Bottom