What's new

What "manly" cocktails do you like?

Here's one that's probably unique, I like making myself a glass of grog after work (based on an old sailor's drink):

-1.5oz dark rum (Pusser's British Navy Rum and Myer's both work)
-3oz of water or ginger ale
-0.3 oz lemon juice
-spoonful of honey or sugar (maybe use less if you used ginger ale instead of water as that adds some sweetness)
-sprinkle some cinnamon

Anything you folks like to make? If it's something I can't find in 3 seconds on a search engine, I'd encourage you to share a recipe as well.

long Island Iced Tea is my #1 to order when I go out. When made badly, it's a real nightmare and when made right it actually tastes amazing and exactly like Iced tea. I work in the VA and I met a vet, we were talking about both being from Long Island. The drink was first created at a groovy bar on the south shore in Hampton Bays called the Oak Beach Inn. This guy claimed to be the inventor of the drink but I'm sure there's a dozen other bartenders from the venue and era who make the same claim.

Lemon, Lime and Bitters from Australia.

20163b17f33e4ecf4cbd0511c779c1c68625.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
As mixed drinks go, for a while, particularly when not at home, I was ordering Rob Roys before dinner.

Most bars pour Dewars for no extra charge and have fresh Vermouth.

I still enjoy them when I want something a little sweeter, and don't want to waste a top-line Scotch.

I'm too many years removed from drinking straight spirits. So as 'manly' as I go nowadays is Scotch or Canadian with a splash or two of water.

It was 96F last week, so I did enjoy an ice-cold G&T with Mrs. Columbo that day.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A "Scotch Martini." A terrible name for a wonderful drink. Substitute a good (not great) whisky for the vermouth in a Martini. My favorite is Glenmorangie 10, but something smoky is not a mistake.

Don't knock it 'til you try it.

A "Scotch Martini." A terrible name for a wonderful drink. Substitute a good (not great) whisky for the vermouth in a Martini. My favorite is Glenmorangie 10, but something smoky is not a mistake.

Don't knock it 'til you try it.

I’ll have to try that. If nothing else it’s going to be strong as hell haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either bourbon highball (bourbon and ginger ale) or Pisco sour (Pisco, lime juice, simple syrup, and egg white).
I learned about Pisco sours from reading Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography "I Could Never be so Lucky Again". He was in Chile demonstrating aircraft to the army when he got to drinking Pisco sours and wound up doing handstands on a hotel balcony ledge which crumbled and he fell breaking both ankles. He had his mechanic put attachments on his casts so he could still use the rudder pedals and was able to demo the aircraft. That's a "MAN".

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
1. Search for the Vesper martini:

INGREDIENTS
3 measures Gordon's Gin
1 measure Smirnoff Vodka
1/2 measure Lillet Blanc

METHOD
Pour all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

traditional-cocktail-glass-5-oz.jpg

GARNISH
Lemon zest

2. Mix a few up.

3. Use the seatbelt you had installed on your barstool to prevent injury. ;)

Yes, you can sub other Gin and Vodka but Gordon's and Smirnoff work really well. ;)

I drink everything straight up for the most part. The only cocktail I drink is a Vesper Martini. 3 parts Bombay Sapphire, 1 part Ketel One, 1/2 part Lillet Blanc, mix all ingredients in ice, shake, strain and pour into a chilled martini glass of choice and finish with a lemon twist. The absolute perfect summer cocktail. Just be careful. They go down like water. My other summer drink is dark sipping rum like Eld Dorado 15 Year.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I like a good whiskey sour...I usually order mine with a Canadian Whiskey...any one will do.

Top Bottom