What's new

What "manly" cocktails do you like?

Coow Woow,

2 parts white rum
1 part ginger brandy
Pour over crushed ice Stir Strain Serve in a cocktail glass

Reportedly after an evening of drinking this cocktail, our nations forefathers would run around singing "Coow Woow, Coow Woow" Allegedly America's oldest cocktail, my guess is that it's an invention of the marketing/bartender at Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA. None the less, it's delicious.

From a quick survey of on-line statistics, I cannot find anything that purports to tell me how many women drink any beer. There are survey numbers for how many men versus women who drink alcohol say beer is their favorite alcoholic beverage. Seems like a bit south of 25% for women and just south of 50% for men. So something of a gender difference.

My basis for anything I said above is pretty much anecdotal. My wife likes a lager-type beer with Chinese food. But that is about it. I do not think I said and certainly did not mean to imply that no women like beer. I went to an undergraduate school where everyone drank a lot of beer. I do think there are a lot of TV commercials that would indicate that women in general are big beer drinkers, and based on my acknowledged limited observations that does not seem to be true. I have no idea as to percentages!

From a quick survey of on-line statistics, I cannot find anything that purports to tell me how many women drink any beer. There are survey numbers for how many men versus women who drink alcohol say beer is their favorite alcoholic beverage. Seems like a bit south of 25% for women and just south of 50% for men. So something of a gender difference.

My basis for anything I said above is pretty much anecdotal. My wife likes a lager-type beer with Chinese food. But that is about it. I do not think I said and certainly did not mean to imply that no women like beer. I went to an undergraduate school where everyone drank a lot of beer. I do think there are a lot of TV commercials that would indicate that women in general are big beer drinkers, and based on my acknowledged limited observations that does not seem to be true. I have no idea as to percentages!

My wife, who was an occasional glass of wine every few months kind of drinker, started running in her early 30's. One day we were in a restaurant after she had been out for a long run and decided to try a Guiness. At that point she became a beer drinker. Her tastes move more in the direction of malty beer, opposite of the very hoppy beers that are popular now.

You ain't just whistling Dixie, brother. I once had a few of those at a pool bar on a cruise ship. It was a beautiful day, and they went down easily. Fortunately, I didn't go down quite as easily!

Quite a few. In fact, I live with one. Over the years, I've found that many women like those sorts of beers more than most men do (not that there aren't plenty of men that like them).

Be careful about making such general statements about "women not liking beer." I know a large number of women who would disagree rather vehemently.

I do agree that women tend to have keener senses of smell and taste, though. I am very glad to see more women getting the opportunity to employ those senses in blending whisk(e)y, brewing beer, roasting coffee, running a commercial kitchen, etc.

In general, repeat in general, women do not like beer. And I mean real beer, not Bud Light. I also gave you the scientific reason. Every beer brewer knows that male beer drinkers far out number female beer drinkers. That is why the advertising is directed to men. Remember the Swedish Bikini Team?

Now, if you want to live in P.C. La La Land where everyone is the same and biological differences are ignored please be my guest. Just don't ask me to go there with you.

Tedolph

My wife, who was an occasional glass of wine every few months kind of drinker, started running in her early 30's. One day we were in a restaurant after she had been out for a long run and decided to try a Guiness. At that point she became a beer drinker. Her tastes move more in the direction of malty beer, opposite of the very hoppy beers that are popular now.
Interesting! Actually, I have said more than once on this forum that I like virtually all alcoholic beverages. If fact, I could not think of anything that was thought to be of good quality by a substantial number of people, or, let's say Americans, I am not a big fan of Aquavit, at least the caraway flavored kind, or non-flavored schnapps, if I recall. And I like virtually all the beers I can think of, including a number of homebrewed stouts I have had, but I really do not have any love for Guinness at all. I am not sure I have ever had one from the tap in Europe. I have read that Guinness is a bit different in Ireland. Good for your wife. She probably had better taste than I do!

And I am stepping gingerly away from any further discussion of biological differences being the basis for more men than women being big beer consumers!

0325B08A-EBF5-4DAF-9054-505E2716691D.png

Bourbon. Neat.

Last edited:
Interesting! Actually, I have said more than once on this forum that I like virtually all alcoholic beverages. If fact, I could not think of anything that was thought to be of good quality by a substantial number of people, or, let's say Americans, I am not a big fan of Aquavit, at least the caraway flavored kind, or non-flavored schnapps, if I recall. And I like virtually all the beers I can think of, including a number of homebrewed stouts I have had, but I really do not have any love for Guinness at all. I am not sure I have ever had one from the tap in Europe. I have read that Guinness is a bit different in Ireland. Good for your wife. She probably had better taste than I do!

And I am stepping gingerly away from any further discussion of biological differences being the basis for more men than women being big beer consumers!

Guinness was prescribed for nursing women in Brittan. It has a creamy and sweet taste which would appeal to women. It is very different than the hoppy/bitter German pilsners and lagers which American beers are styled after, and which generally do not appeal to women.

Women don't like things that are bitter, period. About one quarter at all men are deficient in the taste buds that detect bitter.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
In general, repeat in general, women do not like beer. And I mean real beer, not Bud Light. I also gave you the scientific reason. Every beer brewer knows that male beer drinkers far out number female beer drinkers. That is why the advertising is directed to men. Remember the Swedish Bikini Team?

Now, if you want to live in P.C. La La Land where everyone is the same and biological differences are ignored please be my guest. Just don't ask me to go there with you.

Tedolph

Yeah, because I know nothing about the beer and brewing community that I've been an active part of for about 25 years.

However, I do understand differences between men and women, although I must admit that a bit of dust has gathered on my Neuroscience degree.

I don't live in any "P.C. La La Land." I just live in the world of experience. I invite you to join me. I'm not so sure that you're interested, but the invitation will remain open.

Guinness was prescribed for nursing women in Brittan. It has a creamy and sweet taste which would appeal to women. It is very different than the hoppy/bitter German pilsners and lagers which American beers are styled after, and which generally do not appeal to women.

Women don't like things that are bitter, period. About one quarter at all men are deficient in the taste buds that detect bitter.

As a chef, I can guarantee you that a woman can and do like bitterness if it is properly used. I don’t think you can generalize. We get many more compliments from women then men, and most dishes can be balanced with some bitterness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generalisations are generally dangerous. That said, personal observation in UK leads me to believe women are less likely to drink beer / lager than men, however, here in Asia women are almost equally likely to be digging into the beer bucket on a Friday night as the men are. In my office we have a Thai lady and a S Korean lady, both of whom regularly drink enough beer to float a reasonably sized elephant.

My wife likes everything I like - bourbon, scotch, stouts, porters, etc. She drinks her bourbon and scotch with ice whereas I like mine neat, but that's the only difference.

Generalisations are generally dangerous. That said, personal observation in UK leads me to believe women are less likely to drink beer / lager than men, however, here in Asia women are almost equally likely to be digging into the beer bucket on a Friday night as the men are. In my office we have a Thai lady and a S Korean lady, both of whom regularly drink enough beer to float a reasonably sized elephant.
Have you tasted Asian beer-often made from rice?

Well, that explains it.

Yeah, because I know nothing about the beer and brewing community that I've been an active part of for about 25 years.

However, I do understand differences between men and women, although I must admit that a bit of dust has gathered on my Neuroscience degree.

I don't live in any "P.C. La La Land." I just live in the world of experience. I invite you to join me. I'm not so sure that you're interested, but the invitation will remain open.
Well, if you are a member of the "brewing community" then you know that I am correct.

What brewing community are you a member of?

Also, did you previously post here under a different name?

Also, did

Yes, I have tried Asahi. Doesn't explain or excuse your comment.
Rice (and wheat) beers have less "bite" and are usually less hoppy, and thus less bitter than beers made from barley. Try something like Tsing Tao and you will see what i mean.

Also, why does my comment need to be, "excused"?

Please explain.

I am a huge fan of well made Old Fashioneds. Ideally with Bulliet bourbon.

Jack Daniels and Coke (Mexican FTW) isn’t really a cocktail, but it’s also a good manly man drink.👍

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
From a quick survey of on-line statistics, I cannot find anything that purports to tell me how many women drink any beer.

I'm glad you mentioned that. It lead me to recall something I had seen, a Brewers Association report that stated "women consume almost 32 percent of craft beer volume, almost half of which comes from women ages 21-34." I didn't realize that it was as far back as 2014, but I have no reason to believe that decreased substantially, and I would not be surprised to see that number increase. Unfortunately, all the subsequent reports have focused more on industry growth numbers than demographics, but I guess that's much more easily surveyed.

Well, if you are a member of the "brewing community" then you know that I am correct.

On the contrary, it is because I am a member of the beer and brewing community that I know you are incorrect. I don't know if "brewing community" and "beer and brewing community" comprise a distinction without difference, but I figure I ought not be unclear.

I'll get into ridiculous detail in a moment, but the "tl;dr" is that I know far, far too many women than enjoy beer (and I mean "enjoy," not "tolerate") beer to remotely agree with your proposition that "women do not like beer," even "in general." I happen to agree that women tend to be better at smelling and tasting than men, although no study ever really has shown that--it's all anecdotal. However, that doesn't seem to be keeping them away from beer to the extent you keep on about. I also will agree that men tend to like beer more than women, but it's difficult to say why with any certainty.

What brewing community are you a member of?

I've been a homebrewer since 1993, and I've been "into" beer (beyond the BudMillerCoors sort) since the late '80s. I've never brewed commercially, but I do have many friends that do, including some women. I don't know how many breweries I've been to, but I see plenty of women every time I go on a tour or visit a tasting room.

I've been a member of the Foam Rangers homebrew club since around 2002 (give or take--don't quite recall), where I've served in a number of offices, including Grand Wazoo, and I coordinated our almost world famous Dixie Cup event twice. By the way, when All About Beer magazine put out its special "Beer Traveler" issue (in 2010, I believe?) and listed the beer events one needs to attend, Dixie Cup was -the- one homebrew competition the "distinguished panel" recommended. We've counted quite a few women as members over the years and still do. I don't know the proportion, but it's a good deal more than something nominal. In fact, two women have served as Grand Wazoo. I know many women that homebrew.

I've also been to more beer festivals and other events than I can count, including the National Homebrew Competition (really more a conference), the Great British Beer Festival, the Great Alaskan Beer & Barleywine Festival (and it's recent new incarnation), the Oregon Brewers Festival, all sorts of homebrew competitions. I've also just gone around to a lot of "beer places," such as Bavaria. I've seen and shared beers with many, many women at all those events and places.

I've judged at some of those above events, including a handful of Best of Show panels. I've been a ranked BJCP judge since 2004, and I've held the National rank since 2009. I even taught our judging class for a couple of years. I've judged with many women.

Through and because of all that, I've come to know many folks throughout the community and through all levels of the industry, including brewers, brewery owners, "beer bar" owners and managers, servers, beer authors, beer/brewing organization board members, event organizers, and just plain ol' fans. I can name more than one woman for each of those categories, and they all like beer. [/quote]

Also, did you previously post here under a different name?

No.

So, now that we've covered the basis of my opinion and the scope of my observation, what are yours?

I'm glad you mentioned that. It lead me to recall something I had seen, a Brewers Association report that stated "women consume almost 32 percent of craft beer volume, almost half of which comes from women ages 21-34." I didn't realize that it was as far back as 2014, but I have no reason to believe that decreased substantially, and I would not be surprised to see that number increase. Unfortunately, all the subsequent reports have focused more on industry growth numbers than demographics, but I guess that's much more easily surveyed.

On the contrary, it is because I am a member of the beer and brewing community that I know you are incorrect. I don't know if "brewing community" and "beer and brewing community" comprise a distinction without difference, but I figure I ought not be unclear.

I'll get into ridiculous detail in a moment, but the "tl;dr" is that I know far, far too many women than enjoy beer (and I mean "enjoy," not "tolerate") beer to remotely agree with your proposition that "women do not like beer," even "in general." I happen to agree that women tend to be better at smelling and tasting than men, although no study ever really has shown that--it's all anecdotal. However, that doesn't seem to be keeping them away from beer to the extent you keep on about. I also will agree that men tend to like beer more than women, but it's difficult to say why with any certainty.

I've been a homebrewer since 1993, and I've been "into" beer (beyond the BudMillerCoors sort) since the late '80s. I've never brewed commercially, but I do have many friends that do, including some women. I don't know how many breweries I've been to, but I see plenty of women every time I go on a tour or visit a tasting room.

I've been a member of the Foam Rangers homebrew club since around 2002 (give or take--don't quite recall), where I've served in a number of offices, including Grand Wazoo, and I coordinated our almost world famous Dixie Cup event twice. By the way, when All About Beer magazine put out its special "Beer Traveler" issue (in 2010, I believe?) and listed the beer events one needs to attend, Dixie Cup was -the- one homebrew competition the "distinguished panel" recommended. We've counted quite a few women as members over the years and still do. I don't know the proportion, but it's a good deal more than something nominal. In fact, two women have served as Grand Wazoo. I know many women that homebrew.

I've also been to more beer festivals and other events than I can count, including the National Homebrew Competition (really more a conference), the Great British Beer Festival, the Great Alaskan Beer & Barleywine Festival (and it's recent new incarnation), the Oregon Brewers Festival, all sorts of homebrew competitions. I've also just gone around to a lot of "beer places," such as Bavaria. I've seen and shared beers with many, many women at all those events and places.

I've judged at some of those above events, including a handful of Best of Show panels. I've been a ranked BJCP judge since 2004, and I've held the National rank since 2009. I even taught our judging class for a couple of years. I've judged with many women.

Through and because of all that, I've come to know many folks throughout the community and through all levels of the industry, including brewers, brewery owners, "beer bar" owners and managers, servers, beer authors, beer/brewing organization board members, event organizers, and just plain ol' fans. I can name more than one woman for each of those categories, and they all like beer.

No.

So, now that we've covered the basis of my opinion and the scope of my observation, what are yours?
[/QUOTE]

Here is mine:

"The latest results are from a July 5-9 update of Gallup's annual Consumption Habits poll. Gallup has found that beer is most popular among men; this year, 62% of male drinkers say they prefer beer, compared with 19% of female drinkers. Less-educated and middle-income Americans also tend to choose beer. "

Last edited:
Top Bottom