What's new

Vindaloo, Hot and Sour Pork from Goa, India

I've been making this dish for many years and it's my wife's all-time favorite. It's hot, it's spicy, it's complicated, and time-consuming, but it's oh, so good! Some of the spices aren't easily found in your average supermarket, but if you can find an Indian grocery shop, you can get them very inexpensively. The recipe calls for 2-3 dried chile peppers...we like it hot, so that usually becomes 4 or 5. :w00t: Be sure to have all your ingredients measured out and ready before you start cooking.

Pork Vindaloo (Goan-style Hot and Sour Pork)
(Serves 6)
From Madhur Jaffrey’s Indian Cooking, 1982

Ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoons whole Cumin Seeds
  • 2-3 hot, dried Red Chiles
  • 1 teaspoon Black Peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon Cardamom Seeds
  • 3-inch stick of Cinnamon
  • 1 ½ teaspoons whole Black Mustard Seeds
  • 1 teaspoon whole Fenugreek Seeds
  • 5 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
  • 1½ - 2 teaspoons Salt
  • 1 teaspoon light Brown Sugar
  • 5 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 2 medium Onions, peeled and thinly sliced into half-rings
  • 1 ½ cups Water
  • 2 pounds boneless Pork Shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1-inch cube of Ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1 small whole head of Garlic, with cloves separated and peeled
  • 1 tablespoon ground Coriander Seeds
  • ½ teaspoon ground Turmeric

Preparation:
Grind cumin seeds, red chiles, peppercorns, cardamom seeds, cinnamon stick, black mustard seeds, and fenugreek seeds in a coffee or spice grinder. Put the ground spices in a bowl. Add the vinegar, salt, and sugar. Mix and set aside.

Heat the oil in a wide, heavy pan over a medium flame. Put in the onions. Fry, stirring frequently, until the onions turn brown and crisp. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and put them in the container of an electric blender or food processor. (Turn the heat off.) Add 2-3 tablespoons of water to the blender and puree the onions. Add this puree to the ground spices in the bowl. (This is the Vindaloo paste. It may be made ahead of time and frozen.)

Dry off the meat cubes with a paper towel and remove any large pieces of fat.

Put the ginger and garlic into the container of an electric blender or food processor. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water and blend until you have a smooth paste. Set aside.

Heat the oil remaining in the pot over a medium-high flame. (Add more oil as needed.) When hot, put in the pork cubes, a few at a time, and brown them lightly on all sides. Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and add them to a bowl. Do all the pork this way. Now put the ginger-garlic paste into the same pot. Turn down the heat to medium. Stir the paste for a few seconds. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir for another few seconds. Add the meat, any juices that may have accumulated, as well as the Vindaloo paste and 1 cup of water. Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for an hour or until pork is tender. Stir a few times during this cooking period.
-----------

I serve this with plain Basmati Rice, Gujerati Carrot Salad, and Gujerati Green Beans (recipes also from the Madhur Jaffrey cookbook).

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Vindaloo is one of my favourite curries. I was going to make one this weekend but used the pork to make carnitas instead.
I'm starting to regret not making the Vindaloo.

I have made it as per this video a few time. Very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been by the Indian restaurant & market lately, but I will have to keep an eye out for these ingredients. Sounds great.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I just had to make one.
It is basically the recipe on the video with a couple of extras.

Marinade with salt & vinegar for 2 – 3hours
1kg / 2.2lb pork
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons Wine vinegar

2nd marinade
10 – 12 whole dried chillies (as with all chili as much or little as you want)
1 Tablespoon Paprika
½ Teaspoon whole cumin seeds

3 inch stick of cinnamon
10 – 12 cloves
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (extra I added)
½ teaspoon of black pepper
5 – 6 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon of black mustard seed (extra I added)

All ground

Then grind together
10 – 12 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of chopped fresh ginger
½ teaspoon turmeric
Grind to a paste with 2 tablespoon of wine vinegar
Then add the dry ground spice to the wet ground to get apaste.

Use ½ of the paste to marinade the meat. Leave tomarinade overnight

Heat 3 tablespoon of oil & add 5 – 6 cloves ofcrushed garlic.
Add three onions sliced. Lightly brown.
2 chopped tomatoes
3 Green chillies slit
Add reserved spice paste
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of vinegar
Stir until the spice base has browned
Add meat. Stir until the juices of the meat start to comeout
Add 1.25 cups of water.
Bring to simmer, cover and cook for…..

View attachment 580735

$20150620_144510.jpg

$20150620_150838.jpg

Last edited:
I've been making that exact recipe from Indian Cookery for years now. It's the best vindaloo I've ever tasted! (Which says a lot coming from a city where there is literally a mile stretch of road covered in Indian/Bangladeshi restaurants) I grew up eating food from many recipes in that book, it's brilliant. Although some of the recipes do require a little heavier hand with the spices as I presume it was intended for an audience new to Indian cuisine. I'm curious as to why the recipe differs in that video - if it ain't broke..

Edit - for anyone in the UK, you can pick up a copy of that book for about £0.05 on Amazon new and used. Not sure about the US.

Last edited:
Awesome, Larry. I have always found construction of the spice mixtures to be the hardest part of authentic Indian cooking. Just when I think I have a full cupboard of spices, the recipe calls for something like asafoetida powder.

I've been making that exact recipe from Indian Cookery for years now. It's the best vindaloo I've ever tasted! (Which says a lot coming from a city where there is literally a mile stretch of road covered in Indian/Bangladeshi restaurants) I grew up eating food from many recipes in that book, it's brilliant. Although some of the recipes do require a little heavier hand with the spices as I presume it was intended for an audience new to Indian cuisine. I'm curious as to why the recipe differs in that video - if it ain't broke.
I found that strange, also. It's not even close to the recipe I posted, but it's from the same author.

Awesome, Larry. I have always found construction of the spice mixtures to be the hardest part of authentic Indian cooking. Just when I think I have a full cupboard of spices, the recipe calls for something like asafoetida powder.
So far, I've avoided asafoetida powder, but I'm sure at some point I'll need it. Fortunately, I have several well-stocked Indian grocers nearby, so it's not an undue hardship.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I was sitting down just chilling on a nice Sunday afternoon when I looked at the time...........oh no it' curry time and I have not started to cook it yet.

$dontpanicweb.jpg

OK it's simmering now after having to make a trip out mid cook for some tomatoes.

$stupid boy.jpg

I tasted some of the cooked paste and I think this is going to have a nice heat and great flavour.

$20150621_171943.jpg

Last edited:
I worked with a guy many, many years ago and we would eat Indian food together at least once a week. He was affectionately known as "Vindaloonie".

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
.....and the finished meal. This one packed some heat, just the way I like a Vindaloo.
It would be too hot for the wife but she did not want any when I said I was going to make it, so went with hot.

I cooked 1.5 x the base recipe so used 10 of the large Chillies (from Thailand don't know the type) and 6 of the small (Teja Chillies from India)

What type of dried chili do you guys use in your Vindaloo?

$20150621_191728.jpg

Top Bottom