What's new

What makes for a good bowl for bowl lathering?

Amazon sells a collapsible—wait for it—pet feeding bowl. HOWEVER, it collapses (goes into you shaving/toiletry bag if you have one). Dirt cheap at $6 for a two pack. Works VERY well, has some extra plastic “pointy things” at bottom that further help work up a lather. Amazon.com - https://a.co/d/4hZ3iv6

If you go on YouTube, I believe “Ohio Shaves” uses it allllll the time with great success. Here is a link to one in which he shows using it (this particular one is not a lot of lather as he is demonstrating a not-so-great soap).

I personally own a few (have a few toiletry bags); works wonders and easy to clean!

Cheers.

Please see my Wilkinson Sword Blade (10 blades in retail packaging!) GIVEAWAY here: GIVEAWAY! - TWO Wilkinson Sword packages, Made in England, "Super Sword-Edge" in cellophane retail = 10 blades - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/two-wilkinson-sword-packages-made-in-england-super-sword-edge-in-cellophane-retail-10-blades.648092/#post-12530249

Attachments

• IMG_2211.jpeg
    IMG_2211.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 11
What are some things to look for in a bowl that helps make good lather quickly? Height, width, depth, texture, material, etc.

I’ve got this bowl and it seems pretty good. It is tall and deep, which I wonder whether or not that is best. It tends to push lather up the sides. I’ve also been bummed out by how the handle on my new brush (Omega 011842) bangs against the sides, unless I’m really slow and careful. It’s scratched it up quite a bit already. I think it’s partly due to the height and depth. The rough ribbed texture doesn’t help with scratches either.

So, I guess I’m maybe considering a new bowl even though I spent quite a bit on this one.

FWIW: I use creams (CO Bigelow and Spieck).

Maybe I am wrong but for years I did not own a real deal lather bowl. Used old large coffee mug, it worked well for years.

Recently bought a plastic latter Boel from AliExpress, it works better then coffee mug.

Bottom is uneven surfaces, so it lather faster.

New bowl was under $7.00 USD DELIVERED.

Any bowl, cup, soap dish, or ashtray will do the trick and make suds. The question here is how comfortable we want it to be. This means that the definition of the best bowl is subjective, a matter of taste and personal preference. However, there are some rules that should be followed. For example, the bowl should have relief figures on the bottom or the walls, which help to introduce air, respectively faster formation of foam. It is important to avoid those with sharp edges on the relief figures, because they will break the hairs of the brush. The same will happen, and if there are hollows and ulcers on the walls, they will also damage the fiber. Shape, size, material and color are all personal preference.

Personally, for home use, I like this one the most:

1704617780713.png

For travel, the Proraso mug

My best shaving bowl is a cheap double wall, stainless, purchased from an Indian store (also found on some online stores). Seen below, the one on the left.

View attachment 1775872

View attachment 1775878

As you can see, the inside is brushed and the top quarter is narrower thus keeping the lather in (to some degree). It says Onyx on the bottom. I have tried many shaving bowls and, next to the GP scuttles, this one is my favorite and the one I ended up using exclusively.
It is 4" across and about 3" high.
Good luck and have fun chasing the perfect one for you. Oh, almost forgot, you get cookie points for posting pictures, when and if you settle on one.
Dito. Double walled steel, my favorite, keeps heat in

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are lots of bowls out there (I think this post proves that), and they are all capable of making great lather. For me they need to be the top part of a scuttle, but that's just me.

I suggest you raid the kitchen and try a whole bunch of different sized bowls (not in one day). When you find a size you like that should help you narrow your search.

I like the standard size turkish hammered copper shaving bowl. It’s about $15 and is 4 3/8” x 2 3/8”.
Its lightweight, unbreakable, has a nice handle, inexpensive and looks great.

I have two very inexpensive bowls. One is a ceramic scuttle and the other a plastic shaving bowl which I use for traveling.

Both were purchased from DSC. The scuttle cost around $10 and the plastic bowl was $4. The scuttle works fantastic, it's just quite large and heavy when filled with water. Since it cost so little, I won't mind too much if it should break. It's of course no comparison to a GP scuttle, the DSC isn't nearly as beautiful nor is it handmade, but I would be quite devastated dropping a GP scuttle.

As my luck would have it, I ordered the plastic bowl along with two leather travel pouches for a razor & blades and for a small brush on January 3rd, excluding me from the January GRUME. Since I will be restraining myself nevertheless, I should be ready for the February GRUME. Plenty of month left to get ready.

DSC Ceramic scuttle with silicon stopper (a small funnel to fill up with water was also part of the package. Not pictured):
IMG_5920.jpg

DSC Plastic Shaving bowl with brush rest on handle. I call it the Bauhinia, because of the Bauhinia petal pattern on the bottom:

IMG_5919.jpg

Any bowl, cup, soap dish, or ashtray will do the trick and make suds. The question here is how comfortable we want it to be. This means that the definition of the best bowl is subjective, a matter of taste and personal preference. However, there are some rules that should be followed. For example, the bowl should have relief figures on the bottom or the walls, which help to introduce air, respectively faster formation of foam. It is important to avoid those with sharp edges on the relief figures, because they will break the hairs of the brush. The same will happen, and if there are hollows and ulcers on the walls, they will also damage the fiber. Shape, size, material and color are all personal preference.

Personally, for home use, I like this one the most:

View attachment 1776190

For travel, the Proraso mug
A fabulous bowl. I use one every day except while travelling. Then it’s a shave stick and face lather - I like to travel light. 😀

I have two very inexpensive bowls. One is a ceramic scuttle and the other a plastic shaving bowl which I use for traveling.

Both were purchased from DSC. The scuttle cost around $10 and the plastic bowl was $4. The scuttle works fantastic, it's just quite large and heavy when filled with water. Since it cost so little, I won't mind too much if it should break. It's of course no comparison to a GP scuttle, the DSC isn't nearly as beautiful nor is it handmade, but I would be quite devastated dropping a GP scuttle.

As my luck would have it, I ordered the plastic bowl along with two leather travel pouches for a razor & blades and for a small brush on January 3rd, excluding me from the January GRUME. Since I will be restraining myself nevertheless, I should be ready for the February GRUME. Plenty of month left to get ready.

DSC Ceramic scuttle with silicon stopper (a small funnel to fill up with water was also part of the package. Not pictured):
View attachment 1777076

DSC Plastic Shaving bowl with brush rest on handle. I call it the Bauhinia, because of the Bauhinia petal pattern on the bottom:

View attachment 1777077
What is DSC?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I was using a small copper mixing bowl and it was OK though of course it was smooth inside. Then I found a hammered stainless bowl in a South Asian store for $2.50, and I've been using that for a few years now. When traveling I have an old metal coffee mug that I use. Not fantastic but it'll get a shave going and get me on to the fun stuff.

O.H.

I have an Edwin Jagger stainless bowl. It’s the only one that I really have an experience with. Seems to be good. However I face lather mostly, except when I use tube creams. I use the bowl for sitting my brush in between passes when using a tube cream.

The Timeless bowl looks supremely functional and is cheap. It also looks supremely ugly and cheap. I just can’t get past that. Shaving is the whole sensory experience to me. The visual and feel of lathering in plastic ruin it for me. If they even made a black one, I could get behind it maybe.

I ended up getting this one, and it is excellent.

Bicrops Ceramic Shaving Soap Bowl For Men, Non-slip Handle, Wide Mouth, Large Capacity, Easier to Lather-White& Black Amazon.com - https://a.co/d/bOug73I

As of Friday I am I convert to bowl lathering. Prior I would mostly face lather and use my EJ Stainless bowl when I used a tube cream mostly to have a resting place for my brush. I tried the Timeless Razor bowl and never realized what I was missing. 😊

View attachment 1784051

My wife made the decision on mine. She's a little picky on what gets left out on the bathroom sink counter. Ceramic shaving bowl made by a potter. I think it was around $40?? Foot of the bowl makes it easy to hold. Ceramic retains heat. Fluted sides. Works great. Hope I never drop it :)

fullsizeoutput_2edd.jpeg

Top Bottom