What's new

What Is Your Preferred SR Point Type and Why? (Read the OP)

What is your preferred SR point type ? (Read the OP first.)

• Square

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Spike

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Spanish

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • French

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Dutch

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Other (please describe in a post)

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There are five main SR point types and some of them can also have a barber notch. For the purpose of this thread, those who prefer a barber notch in their point should select the point type closest to the following:

POINT TYPES
Point Types.jpg

I’ve seen it described as ‘Canadian’. A basic square point with a lightly muted toe. My Wacker 7 day set is made that way. I also have a vintage Bismarck Razor Works square point whose toe is perfectly muted. You have to look closely to notice.

I’m not saying that it is the most visually attractive tip. But the muting makes shaving carefree. Or closer to carefree. And with the square tip I always know just where the toe is, even when it is deep in lather. Great for those little details.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Although most of my SRs are Dutch (round) point, my preference is for the Spanish point.

At first I found the Spanish point a little intimidating but soon got use to it and found it best for getting into those difficult areas. Unfortunately most of the SRs available to me are Dutch point. They all shave well, it's just that I find the Spanish point a little more versatile.

The one I owned in the mid 70s was a "Dutch".

It was called "Beehive" or similar. with an inlaid gilded graphic. Made in Sheffield, and maybe the producer was "Marsh"? I hope that this one won't turn out to be some sought-after rarity, because it was eventually lost in a house move.

I never had the guts to attempt a proper face shave with the thing, but I honed it to a convincing edge on my "Yellow Lake" oilstone from Wales ( ~10K?), shaved my arms to test it, and as a young knife honer, imagined in my overwhelming ignorance that I had discovered the fact that the shoulder set the bevel angle (wow, that is so convenient). :001_smile

I stropped it on a bit of old leather that I also used for my knives.

As a newb, I’m practicing with a square point on my red imp. My 7DS is Dutch.
Preference for my next would be spike or Spanish!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As a newb, I’m practicing with a square point on my red imp. My 7DS is Dutch.
Preference for my next would be spike or Spanish!
You are a bit like me. My 7DS is Dutch point. I didn't have a square point available so I tried the Spanish point straight from the Dutch point. It only takes a few nicks with the Spanish point to get properly use to it.

I like shaving with every point I've managed to collect. That said, French points are my favorite. They make it easy to trim around my nose and ears, and earlobes.

I really like the look of French points, but I must confess that I find round points (Dutch) to be much more user friendly. I've never nicked an earlobe with a round point. I'm the kind of guy that somehow always manages to get my ears covered with lather when shaving. Come to think about it it's not too uncommon that I look at myself in the mirror after coming home from work to realise that I've spent my workday with dried lather on my ears.:em3400:

I can’t tell if I like the Irish/French point over the Spanish. Both look equally awesome but the Irish/French looks less dangerous. I do have pets

I really like the look of French points, but I must confess that I find round points (Dutch) to be much more user friendly. I've never nicked an earlobe with a round point. I'm the kind of guy that somehow always manages to get my ears covered with lather when shaving. Come to think about it it's not too uncommon that I look at myself in the mirror after coming home from work to realise that I've spent my workday with dried lather on my ears.:em3400:
I'm so old I have to lather my ears to cut off the fur.

Started with Dutch (round), but quickly fell into the Barber's Notch hole. Based on the categories in the original post, I guess the Barber's Notch would be a variant of the square or spike point, though I always considered it to be a distinct style. The majority of my razors are Barber's Notch points.

But for fun, it's French points all the way.

Something between the Dutch and the French would be good. I guess one might call it a Belgian point. The bottom
Half rounded for comfort but the top part with a slant for aesthetic.

Top Bottom