What's new

What is your most efficient razor that you can share with daily?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I get some fantastic results from a few razors and the Razorock Lupo.72 with a new GSB blade works very well for a DE razor.
Hardly ever get weepers or nicks and just a great razor to work my face. It might not be a daily driver for some folks but I use it at least once a week because I have a large rotation of razors.

Very interesting thread. I have a thick Mediterranean beard. After 5 years of traditional wet shaving and buying some hundreds of razors (and selling most of them again) and found a configuration that works very well for me:

Gillette Old Type thin cap
Shim made of a credit card (so very thick)
Gillette Nacet blade
Step angle, 3 passes, extreme light touch

This does the magic for me. 7 days a week.
Would be interesting to see pics of that setup :)

Would be interesting to see pics of that setup :)
Here it is :cool:

IMG_20220604_105530.jpg

IMG_20220604_105605.jpg

The more I use this Pocket Edition the more I like lightweight razors. This lets you control pressure much better.

So a large(ish) gap is a given.
What's the blade feel like?
It is quite blade forward. But with a shim almost the width of the blade there is not chatter. So it will let you know when it will bite you. That's why a very light pressure is crucial. Once you respect this you will honoured with a very close shave with no irritation :)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Well, my Rex Ambassador is efficient enough to get me to a BBS in 3-passes, however, its not a smooth shaving razor, so comfortablility wise, to get to a BBS shave, can leave my skin with alum block stings, and the possibility of capillary bleeding of the unwanted. Having said that however, I was usually able to achieve it without causing that.

My Merkur Futur razor, is also efficient enough to get me to a BBS shave in 3-passes. What is great about the Futur, is that its an overall smoother experience shaving with it, over the Rex Ambassador. The beauty of adjustables though, is you can set the blade aggression, and that is always fun to adjust it for the shave.

My Feather AS-D2 is not an efficient razor at all, it will not get me to a BBS shave, unless I rake my skin so many times, that by the time I get to a BBS, I am insured to have capillary bleeding of the unwanted, and alum block stings all over my face and neck. That razor was never a positive experience for me, and more of a hindrance then anything else. Although, I did train on DE shaving with it, so it did have its purpose.

I am now working with a Timeless Titanium razor with a .095 blade gap. I'd say that the razor is more efficient then my Feather AS-D2, but not quite as efficient as my adjustables on blade aggression level 4. However, I have not tamed this razor yet, I am still getting educated with it, and its been a roller coaster experience. I am currently at the point of needing to try different blades in it.

At the end of the day, trying to find a razor that is both efficient and smooth, is a lot harder then one would think. A lot of trial and error involved.

Recently switched from my Merkur Progress to a Gillette Heritage.

I always get an easy, effortless BBS shave from the Heritage.

Sometimes the Progress gets just a little too hyper (meaning aggressive), even on the lower settings.

I know, purists insist that whipping up lather with soap and a brush is better; however, it takes longer and I've tried a few different soaps -- most of them irritated my skin whereas Edge doesn't.

Edge is great, I use it myself, no fuss, no bother, no irritation! Gillette Gel is an equally good alternative.

Top Bottom