What's new

What is your favorite vintage non adjustable razor.

What's your favorite vintage (and why) razor?
My NOS 1947 Gillette Flat Bottom Tech:
1947-FBT-4_2021-10-12.jpg

Now on my magical 14g GT Handle (thanks Doug @Rosseforp):
SOTD-1947-GT-W_2021-10-12.jpg

(Currently) it just shaves "better" than all my other razors (vintage and modern). Its design makes it easy to reach all the (previously) difficult to get to nooks and crannies (for me at least).

So, currently it's my Number One Favorite. :cornut:

My two favorites are the Schick Krona and the post-war Tech. The epitome of double edge razor design in 1-piece TTO and 3-piece styles.

Anybody else have experience with both, or is this just a hijack and you’re all gonna ignore me?
I don’t own any British razor, but I don’t find any of my American TTO “sloppy”. That’s not to say the British are not better, but maybe it’s a case of “grass is greener elsewhere”. The Americans are fine and very well made considering they sold at significantly higher volumes and lower prices than the ones across the pond.

I use a drop or two of ballistol or mineral oil in the handle of my TTOs every 6 months or so and I get a very smooth operation each time

Last edited:
Maybe sloppy was a bad choice of words but, the English feel like well oiled machines, and the US ones feel “looser” for lack of a better word. Try an English one if you get a chance. The difference is noticeable.
My two favorites are the Schick Krona and the post-war Tech. The epitome of double edge razor design in 3-piece and 1-piece TTO styles.

I don’t own any British razor, but I don’t
find any of my American TTO “sloppy”. That’s not to say the British are not better, but maybe it’s a case of “grass is greener elsewhere”.

I use a drop or two of ballistol or mineral oil in the handle of my TTOs every 6 months or so and I get a very smooth operation each time

This topic brings a question to my mind. In my experience with Gillette TTO’s the English ones have MUCH smoother operation and generally feel more solid. The USA models while they provide good results, have a much sloppier TTO action in comparison. It’s a small sample size to be sure. About 4 English models and approx 9 US models. Anybody else have experience with both, or is this just a hijack and you’re all gonna ignore me?
This raises a question: Why would one large and well known international company design and manufacture two versions of slightly variant quality of what could and should be the same razors for two similar customer bases?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My favorite vintage … Gillette RFB 88 :001_wub:.. It was love at first shave … smooth as silk!!
RFB for me too! As much as I like the Hybrid Tech and it’s ultimate smoothness, the RFB offers a similar shave with a lot more efficiency. Win-win. And as much as I like swapping around handles, the two piece 77 and 88 RFB just shave better than the 3 piece 44 for me. Don’t know why. It just does.
4E73FE81-4CCA-4C78-9E3C-8FDE6E1F8B14.jpeg

Good question. They did have slightly different models on each continent for some reason, and there is definitely a difference between my English and US TTO’s. Some say there’s a difference between Canadian and US Techs. That could be a factory thing. Food for thought anyway
This raises a question: Why would one large and well known international company design and manufacture two versions of slightly variant quality of what could and should be the same razors for two similar customer bases?

R

romsitsa

Maybe sloppy was a bad choice of words but, the English feel like well oiled machines, and the US ones feel “looser” for lack of a better word. Try an English one if you get a chance. The difference is noticeable.

Guess you mean the later British TTO-s with the long screw as earlier models behave exactly like their US cousins.
My theory is, that the US sticked with crimped knobs instead of the double screw because of adjustables.
The closing method used by Gillette is not compatible with the British double screw solution.

I think all my British models are late '40's into the 50's. I didn’t realize that about the knobs. Thanks for that info
Guess you mean the later British TTO-s with the long screw as earlier models behave exactly like their US cousins.
My theory is, that the US sticked with crimped knobs instead of the double screw because of adjustables.
The closing method used by Gillette is not compatible with the British double screw solution.

Last edited:
I’m still wandering along on my wet shaving journey so it would be premature to make such a huge decision. There are still infinite variables for me to explore…
But that said, when I need to give my face a break from exploration and experimentation, I generally spend some rehab time with my Gillette Techs and Super Speeds.

DE: Gillette New Improved, Gillette Red Tip, just about any SuperSpeed
SE: Any GEM/Ever Ready 1912, or Lather Catcher, or 1914 "Little Lather Catcher," any early version of Auto Strops/Valet Auto Strops (because you can modify a GEM PTFE blade), but really any Auto Strop
All of the above give smooth, comfortable, efficient shaves, nearly "Auto Pilot" easy shaves with the New Improved and the SE razors holding the blade very rigidly so it cuts well, even when the blade might be a bit long in the tooth.

Top Bottom