What's new

What is the Board's take on Fine Shaving Soaps?

I love Fine aftershaves and was looking to maybe purchase a few of their soaps. What is consensus on it? I have looked online and they get great reviews.

I own the whole line in soap and aftershave minus snakebite. They are great soaps that deliver consistent results.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm. They were shooting for Tabac-like formula/performance, I think; seems to be about 80% or so there.

Which is to say, very very good.

AA

Awesome stuff. Close to Tabac in performance plus great scents. I have them all with their matching AS except the Vetiver.

I doctor their AS with good skin stuff because they are basically scent, alcohol and menthol. Post shave doesn't mean too much to me because I always use a balm anyway.

They fall in line with most hard pucks, they perform well enough but lack the above average post shave I look for.

I normally agree with you as we like all the same soaps, but I think Fine has a great post shave. Not to mention they last forever. My first puck has been used at least 20 times and I think it's bigger now than when I opened it.

I, too, find Fine lacking in post-shave. I guess it depends on your aftershave - I find moisturizing aftershaves leave me greasy/sticky, so I prefer a soap with lanolin, shea butter, etc.

I know I'm in a minority here, but something about the Fine soaps leaves me underwhelmed. It probably relates to my own ridiculous expectations before I purchased. . . or possibly because they set out to duplicate other manufacturers' soap and scents. I also find myself moving away from cologne-scented soaps, which can be a bit too much for me on weekday 5:30am shaves. (So there's a lot of me being awkward here.)

I love fine AS (especially American Blend and L'Orange Noir)! Unfortunately, I have not tried the soaps, so cannot help you there.

I only have one puck, but it delivers great lather and I don't get the tightness that some cheaper soaps can leave post-shave.

The only non Italian soaps I currently have, I have three. The performance is nice, the strong scents are not an every day thing for me. The Italian Citrus soap and AS are a lovely warm weather shave similar to RR XXX, perhaps a slightly stronger scent.

They are decent, I wouldn't put them up there with my highest performers, but I have several of them and they are used in rotation routinely, I have about 200 soaps and all of them work some just better than others and Fine have wonderful scents, that's what draws me to them.

Hm. They were shooting for Tabac-like formula/performance, I think; seems to be about 80% or so there.

Which is to say, very very good.

AA

I agree. The Fine soaps are not quite as good performers as Tabac. Tabac gives me great post-shave feel, Fine does not, or may does not as much as Tabac.

If you can't tolerate Tabac's scent, then chances are the Fine soaps will be better for you, scent-wise.

I have Santal Absolute and Platinum with matching aftershaves. I’m slightly underwhelmed by the scent strength compared to my other soaps. I also agree that the post shave is average. For me they’re solid but only slightly above average. Personally, I’m underwhelmed by the aftershaves. They’re not much more than an antiseptic with fragrance. If you’ve got some irritation or sensitive skin you will need to supplement with a balm or other skin food.

I had my first ever Fine shave with a new puck of American Blend a couple of evenings ago. The performance was very good. Curiously, the scent was stronger before I used the soap; it seems more muted now. But I really like the scent. It's a keeper for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine shave soap is easy for me to get the lather right unlike Stirling which is much harder for me to get it right. Post shave is average without the tightness I get from some soaps.

I have all but Green Vetiver. All are great tier 2+ and I love the scents. Very easy to lather and fairly slick if you give it enough water.

Top Bottom