What's new

What dress watch shall I buy?

Thank you very much, I'm also looking for a dark brown gator 18mm strap for my vintage Omega.

Call Walt at Lonestar for alligator straps as well. I have two of his matte black "large" grain Louisiana alligator straps and they are gorgeous. I use one on my Stowa (I use the mesh in the summer and the alligator in the fall/winter), and the other one on a vintage Zenith "calatrava"-style watch. The strap looks unbelievable on the Zenith, which is a thin, elegant, oversize (for the late 1940s, that is, at 39mm) 18K rose gold, silver dial with long dauphine hands and subseconds. Strongly resembles an IWC caliber 83. For the alligator straps, I bought deployant clasps to match the watch -- stainless for the Stowa and rose gold (plated) to match the Zenith.

No rose gold? I'm still a little unsure of the kevlar strap, I have a black kevlar strap with orange stitching for my planet ocean and I think it makes the watch look more casual than the stainless steel strap.

Understandable, the sailcloth strap falls a little short on the dress side. While a stainless aftermarket bracelet whether mesh or other would certainly be acceptable, I would go gator. To each his own, but with a simple change to a black or tobacco gator strap and I believe the Fifty Fathoms could pull off any setting. No it's not a Lange or a Patek, but it still is oozing style and class in my opinion. Then a simple switch back to the sailcloth or aftermarket rubber and BAM.....you're ready to scuba under the yacht to set that plastic explosive charge! Or you could just snorkel with the wife!

Just my two cents.

Tracy

p.s. I think SS is more versatile than rose gold.....but I do love the gold!

Last edited:
Call Walt at Lonestar for alligator straps as well. I have two of his matte black "large" grain Louisiana alligator straps and they are gorgeous. I use one on my Stowa (I use the mesh in the summer and the alligator in the fall/winter), and the other one on a vintage Zenith "calatrava"-style watch. The strap looks unbelievable on the Zenith, which is a thin, elegant, oversize (for the late 1940s, that is, at 39mm) 18K rose gold, silver dial with long dauphine hands and subseconds. Strongly resembles an IWC caliber 83. For the alligator straps, I bought deployant clasps to match the watch -- stainless for the Stowa and rose gold (plated) to match the Zenith.

Sounds gorgeous...would love to see some pictures if you have some? At first, I didn't know what to think about rose gold watches but they've grown on me and I've seen some that are really beautiful. I have a habit of wanting my jewelry (cufflinks, wedding band, watch) to match. All of my jewelry is either platinum (wedding band), sterling silver (cufflinks) or stainless steel (watches). Do you think rose gold would compliment these?

My vintage 1959 Omega has a white face with subsecond hand at 6 o'clock. I really like the dark brown gator strap with the white face. My Panerai 183 has a black face with a black gator strap and I'm thinking of buying the mesh strap for my Omega Planet Ocean.

I'll give Walt a call, thanks.

I've been wanting one of these IWC's.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sounds gorgeous...would love to see some pictures if you have some?

Here are some photos. I'll apologize in advance for the lousy pictures. Avedon, I'm not.

First the Zenith, with the alligator from Walt at Lonestar:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Next, the Stowa Antea, with the steel mesh bracelet from Walt at Lonestar:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've been wanting one of these IWC's.

That minute repeater is over $80,000, I believe. :ohmy: But the 3714 chrono is a true classic and is a gorgeous watch. In steel you can find it pre-owned in 99.9% condition for around $4,500. The 7-day caliber 5001 is also a beautiful watch. However, my favorite was the limited edition caliber 5000, which came out about 6 years ago. It had a 7-day power reserve as well. Here it is in steel:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Andy, those watches are beautiful, absolutely stunning...your Zenith looks very similar to my Omega. I really like the subsecond at 6 o'clock.

Are the gator straps matte? I'm guess no since they have a little shine but it could be the lights.

I love the IWC, even with the economy the way it is, I doubt many IWC retailers are discounting their watches. Your right, pre-owned is the way to go.

Ah... perfect choice!
I have that one and can highly recommend it.

(and after that, MAD (Meistersinger Acquisition Disorder) will kick in and you will end up with an 'Einzeiger' and something like a Singular:

proxy.php

)

Wim

Glad to hear you like it... I ordered one a few days ago....

It is ironic that you do not like the layout because the Lange 1 is A. Lange & Söhne's flagship watch and possibly one of the most important watches in the history of watchmaking.

Well... that's a pretty bold statement given watchmaking history is several hundred years old...

I apologize for being such an ignorant fool.

Yeah, but I don't like it either.

Andy, those watches are beautiful, absolutely stunning...your Zenith looks very similar to my Omega. I really like the subsecond at 6 o'clock.

Are the gator straps matte? I'm guess no since they have a little shine but it could be the lights.

I love the IWC, even with the economy the way it is, I doubt many IWC retailers are discounting their watches. Your right, pre-owned is the way to go.

Thanks for the kind words. :wink: The straps are matte finish; it's the light reflecting off that makes it look different. Take a look on the Lonestar web site for better photos of both matte and glossy finish. I much prefer the matte.

I've read on the various watch fora that in the current economy you can often strike very good deals on brand new watches at authorized dealers at far less than retail. This would include IWC. You should be able to get up to 40% off retail if you negotiate in a friendly way. As I said in an earlier post, there are some brands that never discount, like Rolex and Panerai. But others will likely offer discounts. I know that several years ago when I bought an Omega Speedmaster triple date chrono from a local authorized dealer, I was able to get it at close to 40% off retail. Including sales tax, it was around $1,500 out the door, as opposed to the sticker price of nearly $2,500. If you check on-line with established dealers, you can likely find IWC at deeply discounted prices, brand new. Another great source, but for pre-owned, is someone like Ed Loebl at www.watchseller.com (with whom I have absolutely no affiliation). They have been selling pre-owned watches on-line for years and have a great reputation. Most watches are like new and come with boxes and papers. Prices are well below retail for a near-new watch. Plus, they can source whatever you want if they don't already have it in stock. For example, they never seem to have Omega Speedmaster Moonwatches in stock, yet if you go to their "sold" section there are dozens of them. Probably this means that people simply asked them to find them a moonwatch and they were able to do so and sold it immediately once they sourced it. BTW, they have one of those IWC caliber 5000s in my previous post in their "sold" section; they sold it for under $5,000, which is a steal (it retailed for $10,000).

Last edited:
Glad to hear you like it... I ordered one a few days ago....

Well... that's a pretty bold statement given watchmaking history is several hundred years old...

Yeah, but I don't like it either.

Great! Have fun with your Meistersinger!
I think you just bought yourself a masterpiece.

+1

I'm another Stowa fan, and I've been nothing but happy with my two Anteas. That said, if it must be gold, you can look at their rose gold MO. While the price is a bit steep, you can mitigate it by providing your own gold.

proxy.php

You might want to check out some of the new Omega models, especially those with the 8500/8501 movement (or its derivatives) they are in house Omega designs, not re-worked ETA movements, and designed especially to work with the exclusive Omega co-axial escapement. I have an older Omega, with an ETA modified co-axial movement and it is accurate to within about 30 seconds a month.

Funny how in house means so much. ETA, Unitas and Valjoux are all great "swiss" movements. Most of the higher end brands use them as a base and modify they to their specifications anyway.
Not let this be a deciding factor unless you feel somehow this will add to your love of the watch.

Funny how in house means so much. ETA, Unitas and Valjoux are all great "swiss" movements. Most of the higher end brands use them as a base and modify they to their specifications anyway.
Not let this be a deciding factor unless you feel somehow this will add to your love of the watch.

I prefer in-house movements, but the majority of my watches use some type of ETA engine. IMHO, once you cross the 7K mark...the watch should have an in-house movt. Most high end brands (PP, JLC, IWC) are using in-house movements. The entry/mid level watches (Breitling, Sinn, etc) are using modified ETA engines. Of course, many WIS consider Rolex and Omega entry level brands :wink:

I prefer in-house movements, but the majority of my watches use some type of ETA engine. IMHO, once you cross the 7K mark...the watch should have an in-house movt. Most high end brands (PP, JLC, IWC) are using in-house movements. The entry/mid level watches (Breitling, Sinn, etc) are using modified ETA engines. Of course, many WIS consider Rolex and Omega entry level brands :wink:

I concur!

Top Bottom