What's new

What dress watch shall I buy?

I bought a Panerai Black Seal several years ago. I love it but its a little large to wear with barrel cuff dress shirts, looks great with a french cuff shirt. I replaced the brown strap with the original black gator strap when I had to send my vintage Omega to Switzerland for a tune-up.

Love em.

I bought a Panerai Black Seal several years ago. I love it but its a little large to wear with barrel cuff dress shirts, looks great with a french cuff shirt. I replaced the brown strap with the original black gator strap when I had to send my vintage Omega to Switzerland for a tune-up.

+1 on the 183. Although of course an Omega or Rolex are excellent watches, I think it is hard to beat the 183 on a nice gator strap, looks much dressier than with the leather as shown. I think that the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms may be the best all around watch out there. I don't personally own one, but having looked at them, that sapphire bezel is beautiful! It is one of the few watches I have seen that I think can very easily go from beach to black tie!

Thanks...I love the 183 and the black gator strap looks incredible. I'm a little gunshy about wearing it everyday since I cracked the crystal on my vintage 1959 Omega and had a difficult and expensive time trying to find a genuine 1959 Omega crystal to replace the cracked one.

Is this the Blacpain Fifty Fathom you are talking about?

proxy.php

That is a beautiful albeit expensive model! I love the tourbillion, but that is in an area of the atmosphere too high for me! As far as that goes so is the base model!! But here it is, my pick for the perfect all around watch:

No rose gold? I'm still a little unsure of the kevlar strap, I have a black kevlar strap with orange stitching for my planet ocean and I think it makes the watch look more casual than the stainless steel strap.

That is a beautiful albeit expensive model! I love the tourbillion, but that is in an area of the atmosphere too high for me! As far as that goes so is the base model!! But here it is, my pick for the perfect all around watch:

That is gorgeous. I'd put that on heavy-gauge mesh, myself.

There's a nice deal today at Chronoshark on a men's Bedat & Cie automatic, for only $599. Retail on this one is $2,395. This is typical of the fantastic deals you get on these deal-a-day sites. I've purchased from Chronoshark before with no problems. Here's the link: http://www.chronoshark.com/

Here's a pic of the watch.

proxy.php

Not sure I like the layout. What is the hand on the right for?

I believe it's a power reserve indicator. It shows how much power is left before the watch will stop without being wound (or simply picked up and put on the wrist again, since as an automatic watch, it is powered by the movement of the wearer, which keeps the mainspring wound). Lange watches are among the finest in the world (as well as among the most expensive, unfortunately for us mere mortals. :biggrin:)

Stowas are awesome looking. I like the Marine Originals, too. But I think I've decided to go with this one:

View attachment 71358

This is a MeisterSinger. Very cool design. Simple. More reminiscent of an technical guage than a watch. It's around 800 Euro. They're made in Germany by the watchmaker well known for his single-hand watch designs. Also very cool, but I prefer the balance of the three-hand versions.

s.

Ah... perfect choice!
I have that one and can highly recommend it.

(and after that, MAD (Meistersinger Acquisition Disorder) will kick in and you will end up with an 'Einzeiger' and something like a Singular:

proxy.php

)

Wim

(and after that, MAD (Meistersinger Acquisition Disorder) will kick in and you will end up with an 'Einzeiger' and something like a Singular:

proxy.php

)

Very cool watches. But compared to collecting Superspeeds, that's an expensive AD. :biggrin:

That is absolutely, completely true!
But then again, shaving related ADs are amongst the cheapest known to mankind.

... off to the B/S/T ;-)

I believe it's a power reserve indicator. It shows how much power is left before the watch will stop without being wound (or simply picked up and put on the wrist again, since as an automatic watch, it is powered by the movement of the wearer, which keeps the mainspring wound). Lange watches are among the finest in the world (as well as among the most expensive, unfortunately for us mere mortals. :biggrin:)

You are correct because it is a power indicator, however, the movement itself requires manual winding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom