What's new

What Gillette Old Type should I go after?

I've been buying a bunch of vintage Gillettes and want an old type but not sure what to get or watch out for. I am much more interested and impressed with vintage razors than modern ones now. I know the handles crack on the old types but not much else. I've looked at the ABC, bulldog and big boy/fellow? but they're expensive if nice. Are they all old types? The single ring or double ring seems good to start with maybe? How can I tell a thick or thin cap model? I'd like to get a thin cap one worth replating. I have a NEW long comb and Eclipse Red Ring from around that old type era, but my RAD is telling me I need an old type and a #88 RFB haha.
So... if anyone wants to give me some advice as to what problems to watch out for like cracked handles etc on the old type, and which model to go after I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Hi! Old types are great shavers! And there is a huge variety of them indeed. From what I know bend teeth and cracked handles are the most obvious things to look for.

Big Fellow, Goodwill and Bulldog types are (at least from where I am) more expensive as they appear to be less available. Ball end handles are in greater supply - and these are usually thick cap heads.

Here are some different versions with different caps (from Achims website):

Cheers,

Guido

Hi! Old types are great shavers! And there is a huge variety of them indeed. From what I know bend teeth and cracked handles are the most obvious things to look for.

Big Fellow, Goodwill and Bulldog types are (at least from where I am) more expensive as they appear to be less available. Ball end handles are in greater supply - and these are usually thick cap heads.

Here are some different versions with different caps (from Achims website):

Cheers,

Guido
Thanks Guido for your good info! I'll check out the link. I'm not sure if a Big Fellow is an old type or new improved or what but I like the looks of it and the bulldog. I see lots of ball end old types on ebay, many with cracked handles. I like the looks of the single ring type handle better than the ball end. I'll keep my eye peeled for a decent not cracked single ring for a good price to get replated. The big fellow and bulldog are probably more expensive than I'm willing go for my first foray into Old types. Thanks

Around here in the Pacific NW, ball end thick cap Old Types are quickly found in vintage stores. I often see thin cap ball ends and spot the occasional Single Ring. A couple of ABCs popped up and joined my Gillette posse. There are both cased and uncased examples. Khaki sets are another Old Type variant that I see in the wild. Mine is a thin cap.

Small cracks are probably stable. Anything visibly longer than about 1/4" will probably be a source of annoyance, if not failure.

I have never seen a wild Double Ring, bulldog, or Big Fellow.

I used a family ball end thick cap as my primary razor for decades, so that razor daily shaves, for me, better than any of the thin caps.

New Improved and New Deluxe are fun and fancier vintage Gillettes worth trying.

Replating? Back Roads Gold.

Around here in the Pacific NW, ball end thick cap Old Types are quickly found in vintage stores. I often see thin cap ball ends and spot the occasional Single Ring. A couple of ABCs popped up and joined my Gillette posse. There are both cased and uncased examples. Khaki sets are another Old Type variant that I see in the wild. Mine is a thin cap.

Small cracks are probably stable. Anything visibly longer than about 1/4" will probably be a source of annoyance, if not failure.

I have never seen a wild Double Ring, bulldog, or Big Fellow.

I used a family ball end thick cap as my primary razor for decades, so that razor daily shaves, for me, better than any of the thin caps.

New Improved and New Deluxe are fun and fancier vintage Gillettes worth trying.

Replating? Back Roads Gold.
Thanks. I've had some done at BRG and always come out great. Those ABC are very nice. I'm after a New Deluxe Big Boy now, but may buy a new improved big fellow someone here offered me if I can't find one. I'll probably get a single ring old type when I get to them.

Can't go wrong with the ABC's. Here are a few I don't have cases for. Stylish, several variations, solid handles, silver and gold washed, thin cap old type. Missing from the pic is the most beautiful imo, the Empire design handle. There are subtle handle variations in a couple of the designs. In the photo are a nut end handle version and a smooth ball end Canadian pocket edition, both with solid handles. Highly recommended, they will last forever (unless butterfingers) and retain value.
IMG_8019.jpeg

2 on lower right are News.

Can't go wrong with the ABC's. Here are a few I don't have cases for. Stylish, several variations, solid handles, silver and gold washed, thin cap old type. Missing from the pic is the most beautiful imo, the Empire design handle. There are subtle handle variations in a couple of the designs. In the photo are a nut end handle version and a smooth ball end Canadian pocket edition, both with solid handles. Highly recommended, they will last forever (unless butterfingers) and retain value.View attachment 1673683
2 on lower right are News.
Wow! Thats a very impressive display!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Gold plated thick cap ball-ends are probably the easiest to use and find for me here on the west coast.

But honestly, I feel there is nothing quite as beautiful as a single ring with hard-earned patina. Classic.

full

full

Last edited:
After the plumbing flood, I had to put away almost all of my "extras" into a plastic bin in my closet. It's been a few months since I've gone through them, and I can't remember what I still have--memory serves I had a couple 3-piece thick caps--my thin caps are a little too dear. If I get a chance, I'll take a look and see what I have and let you know.

Hi,

I have an OT with the thin cap and baseplate. It was my Grandfather's, so it is a keeper.

I once had an OT with the thick cap and baseplate. I can't say as I noticed any shaving difference.

But, I'd look for one that matches. Meaning both the baseplate and cap being either thick or thin. I have this thought that mixing either way might not work out so well. And old razors might well become mixed up.

Stan

I thought most people greatly prefer the thin cap? Maybe I'm wrong here.

I've never had a decent Old Type. All the ones I found in the wild had bent teeth and the plating was bad. My son bought me one that I would have left alone... I tried shaving with it maybe twice. Very unpleasant, but again, it was a very poor quality example.

Hi,

I found them to be pretty much the same. If I shaved blindfolded, I'd not be able to tell which one I picked up. Then, I'd be off for medical care to reattach my skin to my face. :p

Once I figured that part out, I decided to keep the Thin Man, as I call it. It was my Grandfather's, so that's a huge Plus. But it doesn't affect the shave it gives.

I have also tried the Shim Game. One and Two. Under and Over and Both. The idea is that the original blades are thicker than the modern ones. Lots of posts around here about that. And, someone made shims commercially back when the blades became thin. So, that adds to the idea of using shims with an Old Type.

I found that it doesn't really matter. So, after that experiment, it's the modern blade alone.

I never tried mixing the thin and thick caps and baseplates, so I have No Idea what that might change with the shave. But, I'd not want to buy a mixed up one. I rather think its a bad idea because Gillette doesn't seem to have done that themselves. And they were well known to put all sorts of oddball parts together at times.

Stan

Well I got my first Old Type! I jumped on a fantastic 1914 ABC old type replated with white platinum from BRG. Looks great and in perfect shape as always from him. Every other old type I had looked at online so far has had a cracked handle at the least, which I don't want to invest in. I like that the ABC handles are solid, and look great too. The razor has a nice weight to it with this handle. I added the handle washer. I am looking forward to trying it later today! :)

Attachments

• OldType3.jpg
    OldType3.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 45
Keep it simple: Gillette slim adjustable. Have it professionally restored. Then use it for every shave for at least a month. Pick ONE blade brand. The adjustable feature is the key to very fine shaves, as you can try different creams, soaps, brushes, etc. Then, try a few different blades if needed. My favorite is KAI, but it is pricey. Any of the popular blades mentioned on this forum should be good. KEEP IT SIMPLE, the goal is SHAVE quality. Also saves some money.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Well I got my first Old Type! I jumped on a fantastic 1914 ABC old type replated with white platinum from BRG. Looks great and in perfect shape as always from him. Every other old type I had looked at online so far has had a cracked handle at the least, which I don't want to invest in. I like that the ABC handles are solid, and look great too. The razor has a nice weight to it with this handle. I added the handle washer. I am looking forward to trying it later today! :)
How did the razor shave for you.

Top Bottom