What's new

What dress watch shall I buy?

I want to buy a dress watch for work. It doesn't have to be water resistant to hundreds of feet, have a million features, etc.

It needs the date, a leather strap, should be gold, be relatively thin and have simple elegance. It should be accurate. I am willing to pay quite a reasonable sum for one. I was thinking a rolex but there's too many fakes around for these nowadays.

Am looking forward to your suggestions brothers.

Thanks!

proxy.php

I'm pretty partial to the IWC Portuguese (they have a full range, a gold minute repeater above).

I also love the Glashutte Original Senator, in almost all of its (many) configurations:

proxy.php

If you want a classy watch that commands respect world wide, I would like to suggest that you be like James Bond and wear Omega.

If you want a classy watch that commands respect world wide, I would like to suggest that you be like James Bond and wear Omega.

Thanks! However Omega is a bit mainstream nowadays. And the seamaster only comes with a metal strap I think. I was after something a bit different and dressier

Last edited:
For something definitely not mainstream--and slightly less obviously dressy, but as classy as they come--how about a Jorg Schauer Kulisse? Near the top of my want list...

proxy.php

Last edited:
Well, if you can think of affording such nice watches, I would like to add another suggestion.

IMHO, the best dress watch is a Patek Phillippe Calatrava:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

These are the least expensive Pateks ;-)

IWC is really nice and I've wanted one of them for many years.

What about a vintage Rolex? Not one of the big honkin beasts they have nowadays, but one of the understated versions from the early 60's? My dad has one of those and it's very classy.

I got an Aquatimer not too long ago and I LOVE IT. Next for me, though, is probably an Anonimo or an Ennebi Fondale, although the UTS Chrono has started speaking to me in my sleep...:tongue_sm

On edit: Oh, and that Patek is gorgeous. I'm not that big a Jaeger fan for some reason. Not sure why.

Thanks! However Omega is a bit mainstream nowadays. And the seamaster only comes with a metal strap I think. I was after something a bit different and dressier

Omega make more than just dive watches.

The Railmaster (gold version available)
proxy.php

or the seamaster aqua terra
proxy.php

Glashutte Senator sixties
proxy.php

What about a vintage Rolex? Not one of the big honkin beasts they have nowadays, but one of the understated versions from the early 60's? My dad has one of those and it's very classy.

+1

In 1993 I bought a vintage Rolex (1969) SS Oyster. I paid about $1,000.00. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. The only time I wear a different watch is when I go camping.

Expensive taste you have sir! :tongue: (nice watches though)

+1 on IWC. It is the classic, iconic Swiss dress watch (along with Patek, also mentioned in a post above). The minute repeater unfortunately costs something like $80,000, but not everyone needs a watch that chimes the quarter-hour and half hour. Try looking at the other IWC Portuguese range watches, like the caliber 5001 7-day power reserve model here:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Or, the portuguese chrono, here:
proxy.php

You can find the 7-day model in 18K rose gold for around $12,000-$15K brand new if you look around, and you can find the chrono in 18K rose gold for around $10K brand new if you shop around. If you want these in stainless stell they are much less expensive. They are also available in white gold.

+1 on the IWC's, I have worn a few and they are incredibly classy and well made. If you're looking for something even simpler than the suggested ones above, try the F A Jones version.

Blancpain is another brand I would consider in the $10k range. Obviously, there is a wide variety of price ranges for you to consider. Just make sure you deal with a reputable dealer.

Well, if you can think of affording such nice watches, I would like to add another suggestion.

IMHO, the best dress watch is a Patek Phillippe Calatrava

These are the least expensive Pateks ;-)

Cheapskate! :w00t:

Last edited:
Top Bottom