What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Today's cold water shave

Todays was not supposed to be a shaving day BUT my AC broke. It is 86 degrees on the second floor of my house. Modern houses in Florida are not constructed to take advantage of any natural ventilation like a cracker house did back in the early 1900s. So, you just suffer when the AC goes out. I took a cold water shower and shave to cool down. The water isn’t that cold but there is a temperature difference between the 78-degree water and the 86 degree bathroom. I expect the first cold front of the season to arrive sometime next month.

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: GSB

Soap: Muhle Sea Buckthorn
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Stirling Mountain Man

BBS

I hope you get the AC fixed. When I live in FL, it seemed the AC would go out whenever we had a long weekend and I could not get anyone to repair it!

What part of Florida do you come from? I lived in Delray Beach, Boca Raton, and Fort Lauderdale on the east coast and St. Petersburg on the West Coast.

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Ethos Unscented
Brush
AP Shaving Tuxedo Syn.
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman SS SB 1.05
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
Sunday’s shave starts with the Ethos unscented soap coupled with my SOG boar brush. This soft, boar brush works fine with a softer soap such as this one. The Wolfman is loaded with a fresh Wizamet blade and did a nice job. A BBS shave. Have a great day, folks.

10/10!
What a beautiful way to start the day
-Blackland Brassbird OC
-Bic Chrome Platinum (1st)
-PAA Solar Flare
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Banana Cube
-PAA Doppelganger Gold trifecta

My favorite razor performed beautifully with a new Bic Chrome Platinum blade.

This scent is becoming a top 5 scent of all time for me. It's such an amazing and beautiful scent.

Had a perfect shave to start the day. Couldn't be happier
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, Sept 19th 2021

Razor: Schick Golden 500 injector+ hydro magic- Mfg 1957-64, excellent razor, tame mid range, light touch needed, Razor length 5 3/8" seems a little long but was meant for uni-sex shaving is my best guess.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE (1) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood, nice scent with excellent lather qualities, good price for the amount.
Brush: Yaqi New Viper 24mm boar :001_wub: , Excellent lather generator, soft split end hair tips, great scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe balm( great stuff + has HA already mixed in)
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my Schick golden 500 with Hydro magic + a Personna coated blade.

SOTD,  Sep 19th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Timeless Aluminum
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Stirling Glastonbury
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with one touch up. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Very nice shave overall. I haven't used the Timeless Aluminum in forever, so thought it was time to give it a run again. I wasn't paying attention and just realized razor had a blade in it, so I shaved with it. Usually I don't get along very well with Astra's, but today proved that wrong.

I hope you get the AC fixed. When I live in FL, it seemed the AC would go out whenever we had a long weekend and I could not get anyone to repair it!

What part of Florida do you come from? I lived in Delray Beach, Boca Raton, and Fort Lauderdale on the east coast and St. Petersburg on the West Coast.
I live in the Stuart area. I have lived in Fort Pierce (Hutchinson island), West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach and Fort Lauderdale.
I am actually in the AC business. A Voltage spike from a power failure fried my fan motor. Its a weird motor so I have to wait till Monday to get it. The Pandemic has made parts hard to get. Our service department is behind 120 days due to service techs getting Covid and parts availability. This is typical of all AC companies.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Sunday's shave

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: 1940's fat-handle Tech
Blade: Personna med prep #2
Soap: Pre de Provence Bergamot Thyme
Brush: Sterling Synthetic tuxedo
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Old Spide A/S splash

CCS, 8.5 / 10

Hmmmmmm. Very nice soap, blade is very comfortable, as everyone agrees (rare around these parts), but the shave didn't wow me today. 3 pass with touchup and I still have some stubble on my neck and jawline, don't know why.

Like the Haslinger's yesterday (which I determined is the non-tallow formula), this soap was both, super easy to lather, I mean SUPER easy, practically lathers itself--and while slick and protective, it is not quite as slick as my favorites, Tabac, Cella (original), Sterling, etc. It was a good shave, but I don't know that I'd reload either of these soaps when gone. I didn't use to think this, but I'm beginning to think there is something to the tallow vs non-tallow (I didn't say vegan! :adoration: ) debate and the tallows, in general, are slicker. I say in general because the new Cella Bio is perhaps the slickest soap I have and that is non-tallow so it is certainly not determinative.

Anyway, pleasant shave today, but no wow factor. I got this soap because everyone seems to have the 63 version, so I thought I'd check out this scent. Again, very pleasant, but no wow factor. I'm no good at describing scents, but it reminds me of any number of hard, french-milled soaps they put in the bathrooms of upscale hotels. I liked it. PdP Bergamot Thyme is likely a once and done for me.

For some reason I was in an Old Spice mood today. It was pop's everyday and only scent for work, for date nights, for everything. Reminds me of him.

2021-09-19_shave.jpg

20210918_080400.jpg

Razor: Schick C1 Simplified Automatic Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Newport
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten

Razor: GEM MicroMatic Open Comb; Bumpless (BMMOC)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 3 LE
Soap: PAA CaD CK6
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Stirling Ramblin’ Man

The Shave: WTG/ATG and an XTG goatee touch up. Excellent hardware & software today. Very smooth shave. Still using the same blade (17th shave) definitely less efficient but not rough or causing any irritation or issues.
95EA48C4-09D4-4582-97A2-A3B97F068332.jpeg
A27EAAC7-4C89-4270-961A-99EC7ED179A0.jpeg
6F876128-5993-4C46-AFBC-5E480BE2E72A.jpeg

Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Pre-war fat handle Tech
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Simpson Special pure
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR

Very nice shave. Made the lather a lot wetter than usual but it worked out fine. I didn't realize Proraso had that kind of residual slickness.

10/10

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210919_114207~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (6)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower. 2 days growth​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Razor: Ralf Aust 6/8" Full Hollow Spanish Point Carbon Steel w/ Modern Olivewood Scales SR​
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Custom Prototype Brush - Synthetic​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso White Alcohol Free After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
9.95/10! DFS! No irritation! One minor nick that dissipated with my rinse...
  • My one complaint about this razor: I barely had any feedback on my second pass. It was so efficient that there was no need for a second pass. I need to use this one during the work week, when I only have time for a one pass shave...
  • I guess I do have a second complaint. This razor is so smooth, efficient, and comfortable that I have to be extra careful that I do not nick or cut myself. I have to keep reminding myself to take it easy and slow down...
  • Hhhmmmm..... I am getting the bug to get another Ralf Aust razor. I think I have one or two in my cart as I type, but it's been a while since I have visited the site....

Today another cold water shave

AC still broke

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: GSB

Soap: Cella Red tub. This stuff is really soft at 87 degreees.
Brush: Semogue 1305
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Fine Santal Absolut

DFS

Top Bottom