What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins and Brimble Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Geo F Trumper Rose (sample cream)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile
- Astra SS (3)
- Vulfix No.28 Boar

Fragrance for the day:
Penhaligons The Blazing Mr Sam

Shave Rating: 9/10
Birthday shave today but, along with the dog, I'm awake before everyone else in the household so I shaved before I got my birthday presents (including new shaving gear!). It was my third shave with the Astra SS and it's still nice and sharp and very smooth, one shave to go testing it but it's moved ahead of the 7 O'Clock Yellow in my FaTip blade rankings.
Another shave with the Trumper Rose sample as well and my opinion of it hasn't changed, solid (but not spectacular) performer, slightly about TOBS/D.R Harris but not quite as good as Truefitt and Hill. Scent wise I have enjoyed the rose scent so I might have to try a rose scented soap from a better performer (I'm thinking MdC or Le Pere Lucien).
Overall a pleasant and close shave with no irritation or feedback from the Alum.
Happy birthday have a lovely day!:happybday:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, SEptemper 20th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic Flying wing, AKA- Guiding eye, MMBT, MMFW.....Excellent tame mid range, heaviest of the Micromatics, built to last generations, good for sensitive skin very enjoyable shave this morning.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Razorock Lavender, nice masculine scent with excellent lather qualities. 2 tubs used up and 1 to go. (discontinued, hope they bring it back in the future.)
Brush: Yaqi 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch Hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm(great stuff )
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my MMFW + a Gem coated blade.

SOTD,  Sep 20th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Lupo.95,Nacet(3),HSSC green door,Simpsons Chubby1 super,Thayers,Prorasso aftershave.Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green pre/post.Second time using this soap and it's giving me a warm feeling like i'm going to get irritation but i don't.Not sure what it is but the performance is great and so is the scent.Another easy BBS just not sure about the soap.It's a 8.5/10 today.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20210920_141714[1].jpg

Razor: GEM Damaskeene Open Comb
Blade
: GEM (Personna) PTFE (10)
Brush: Henri et Victoria - Superfine Two-Band Badger 22mm
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars (Splash)
Additional Care:
Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars (Balm)
FD89B8E7-999C-4F82-8B1E-13213D3E5FD7.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Hot Dam…askeene!
I was digging around looking for a plated Shovelhead when I opened a box that had a nice plated 1912 that somehow was put away with a Jr. bar handle. After examining it I realized it was a Damsskeene open comb that had somehow evaded the rotation for some time. It was like having a brand new razor to try out.
I hated to be reunited with my Damaskeene by throwing a blade that already had nine shaves on it, but not to worry, it was a perfectly smooth comfortable shave. I usually toss my GEM PTFE blades after ten shaves whether they need it or not, but decide the shave was so “uneventful” that I’d keep it around for number 11.
Cognac & Cuban Cigars…mmmmmmmmmmm…one of the finest tobacco scents out there!
This is the tallow, triple milled version. There is also a standard vegan version.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Timeless Bronze .38 SB
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.875/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with one touch up. One tiny weeper, no cuts or irritation. Very nice shave overall. I haven't used the Timeless Bronze in forever, so thought it was time to give it a run again. Not sure why there was an Astra SP blade in it, but like yesterday the shave was very good. I love the looks of this razor, it's just heavier than I prefer.

Happy Birthday,@Abz88!

tempImagetv8RPL.jpg

Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Lather: Tabac plus some Stirling Black Cherry Glacial -- great combo, slick and cold
Blade: Polsilver (1) -- first ever use of this blade and loved it
Razor: Parker 26c

Wonderful shave with this setup today. The 26c is pretty ideal for my skin and beard; it's too bad it doesn't have the best quality. The threaded bolt has a defect in the plating which I suspect will probably begin to corrode. Since this razor was a gift I'll just watch and see what happens. Results were BBS except for a little roughness on the chin; no irritation. Rating: 9.7/10.

20210919_082040.jpg

Razor: Gem Heavy Flat Top G-Bar
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Ten!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Monday's shave

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: 1940's fat-handle Tech
Blade: Personna med prep #3
Soap: Sterling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Sterling boar
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Sterling SDM A/S splash

DFS, 9.0 / 10

Interesting. While the Med Preps are certainly a good blade, I am not getting the WOW factor I thought I would get based on reading around here. Going to bin it and move on to some Vintage Schick Plus Platinums I forgot I had. :eek2: How did I forget about those?

proxy.php

Sterling SDM is probably my favorite soap now, for scent, competing with RR Santa Maria del Fiore for performance, those would be my top two soaps at the moment. Nice shave today. I'll put the meds in the stack of blades I want to try again out of my blade sampler.

2021-09-20_shave.jpg

Today:
H&S P076 Ti
Bic Chrome Platinum
Mozingo ZT3
Ethos Vanilla Safi
DR Harris Marlborough aftershave (not shown)

This is about as good as shaving gets, at least for me. Opened the Vanilla Safi yesterday and loved it immediately -- the scent is pure, but even more so the performance was rich, and the shave was as smooth as can be. Today, I went with the H&S to go for a complete and close BBS. And I got it. Super smooth, close, not a scritch, not a scratch, not a nick, no irritation. Perfect. (And the ZT3 is not a bad brush, either.....). So 10/10.
2021.09.20 - P076 Vanilla Safi Mozingo.jpeg

Soap: Proraso White
Razor: Pre-war fat handle Tech
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Osage Rub

Great shave. Quite the burn with the Osage this time around though. Wasn't a normal aftershave burn, it just felt like...burn. A little while later I looked at myself in the mirror and noticed some red splotches on my neck and around my lips, which was strange. The shave felt smooth, and my face felt fine after rinsing my face well. Out of nowhere I think I may have had a little bit of a reaction to the Osage Rub? If my face is irritated from the shave I can easily tell before I apply the aftershave because even water stings a little (you know that feeling!). Everything was fine before I applied the Osage Rub. This is my favorite spring/summer aftershave, so PLEASE don't tell me my face can't handle it anymore..... Hopefully today was an isolated incident. I'll have to look back at my other written out shaves to see if this is the first time I've paired Proraso white with it, but I'm pretty sure I've mixed both without issue.

Even with terrible shaves, Osage Rub hasn't been an issue. Interesting shave to say the least.

6/10

La Toja shaving cream
Omega boar brush
1948-1950 Gillette Super Speed razor
Gillette Rubie razor blade
witch hazel
Gillette aftershave gel

My first use of the Rubie. Very nice. My first impression is that it is much like a Personna or Dorco. Did a two pass shave. Got what I expect from a two pass shave, not a perfect BBS but definitely a DFS. I've noticed one thing, and perhaps I should see a dermatologist. My face is getting tiny bumps. Whenever I would have a really close shave in the past, my face was very smooth. Baby Bottom Smooth really was a good description. Lately, even with a close shave, I feel bumpy skin, nothing visible.

I'll give this a 9.5/10. Not quite perfect for a two pass shave but close.

- Brush: Spiffo Silvertip
- Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.35 OC
- Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow
- Soap: Storybook/APR Carnivale
- Aftershave: 4711
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

First shave in 4 days and not a problem for the WR2. BBS with only a tiny bit of sting from the AS.

I put away a bunch of spring/summer soaps recently and brought out soaps better geared towards cooler weather. Carnivale is excellent and I would use it more if Storybook was still around. My Spiffo did a great job lathering more than enough soap for 3 passes

Excellent shave. 9.75/10

675A3F9D-BCD0-4BF2-9E5D-4BE836D05A19.jpeg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210920_134612~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (7 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Floïd Vigoroso
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Tue 21 SR SOTD
Soap Southern Witchcraft Samhain
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Ribbon 1000
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Southern Witchcraft Samhain Splash.
A break from Stirling today. The SW soap qualities are very good too. The lather was creamy and slick with a scent I can only describe as pumpkinish...perhaps some tobaccoish...
Shave again with this razor after putting it through the pasted balsa progression. Still nice & smooth with some improvement to the edge...slightly keener. 3passes for an improved result of dfs/ccs/sas and no issues. Matching aftershave was good with some added frost drops but definitely not a family favorite😅. Rating 9.3/10
20210921_134504.jpg

Top Bottom