What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

A great 72-hour beard shave today for Slant Saturday!

Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS)/Personna Lab Blue blade (3? Not sure)

Tabac in stick form

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Pre-shower, some Lilac Vegetal AS; post-shower, Assured lotion, Proraso Green AS, Clubman powder

I purposely let my beard grow for 3 solid days, so I was moving into uncharted territory here. First a face and throat wash with Dial soap, then wetting with baking soda-charged warm water for slipperiness, and then application of Tabac and face-lathering. As usual during my 3-minute soak-in wait, I massaged the soap into my whiskers with wet fingertips and then applied more soap. Pass 1, skin stretching on cheeks, WTG and a little ATG. Pass 2, throat only, skin stretched, ATG; pass 3 and cleanup, XTG. The razor and blade combo sliced through the growth as if greased, which in a way it was thanks to Tabac. No irritation or nicks, and darn close to BBS.

Verdict: 9.9!!!

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Coates Sandalwood Cream
Brush
Paladin Lotus
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Timeless SS SB .68
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
Using the Coates Sandalwood cream again. Not much left to the tube of cream. Another good lather. Using the Timeless – Lab blade combo for the 5th nice shave. Four passes on my face and neck and two on my head and I am ready to go. Have a great day, folks.

59C54AAD-EAE8-4F53-95F3-7A8C72743EA6.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (4)
Blade: King C Gillette (3)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Aftershave: Stirling Bay Rum

Good morning! Lovely shave on a beautiful Saturday morning. Face lathered MWF with the Omega boar, and then a full 3 pass shave with the Slim. I don’t think I’ve used this razor since I got my Lupo, and I guess I forgot how nice a shaver it is. DFS+ Finished with Stirling Bay Rum (man this stuff burns like hell) and Hyaluronic acid.

9.5/10

Razor: GEM Feather Weight Deluxe
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (9)
Brush: Yaqi - Mountain Lake (Caravel Arctic)
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: Ethos - Peppermint
Aftershave: Ethos - Peppermint Splash
6CE5E3FC-409A-4C59-A6BA-3B066A36B79F.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10+
Textbook shave
There’s not much I can say about today’s shave. It was about as perfect as a shave can be. The GEM blade on its ninth shave still feels like it’s on it’s first in this Feather Weight.

9/18/21
Razor: ER 1914
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Omega 10049 Pro Boar
Cream: Cyril R Salter Sublime Citrus
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The Shave: WTG/XTG/ATG for a BBS shave. Excellent lather with the big Omega & CRS Sublime Citrus. The ER 1914 performed really well with a light touch. Love the soundtrack of whisker removal with a good SE razor. 9.7/10.
58EFFF32-1D1B-48B5-94F6-19B53820CB19.jpeg
C928C60D-B542-41D1-AB86-D5AF1D8B3EEB.jpeg
1AB08784-F364-43CB-B9F0-D2FFFFEDB800.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat. September 18th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo.72- Mfg 2021>,excellent razor, great design for clamping blade, great for under the nose and I mostly receive superb shaves + mostly carefree shaving.
Blade: Gillette Astra SS (6) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with great longevity. Similar to a Gillette Nacet blade IMO.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood, Nice Sandalwood scent, excellent lather qualities. I'm glade I bought CRS Sandalwood.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic Moka Express, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe balm with HA.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Astra SS blade.

SOTD,  Sep 18th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: OneBlade Genesis
Blade: GEM PTFE De splined only (4)
Soap: Stirling Glastonbury
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: Zenith 506A Manchurian Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with two touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Very nice shave overall. Enjoying my shaves with a GEM blade in the OneBlade.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - PAA Tube 2.0
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Bay Rum
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Sharp Titaniium (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: Stirling Bay Rum splash

Getting rid of the 1-10 rating system. This was a stellar shave! Mike's Natural Bay Rum soap is very slick and whips up easily...makes the cut! The fresh Sharp Titanium blade felt great, a little extra face feel and audible feedback...close shave.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

A Kit 20210918.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Saturday's shave

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: 1940's fat-handle Tech
Blade: Personna med prep #1
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Brush: B&B Anniversary Omega boar
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Clubman in vintage bottle A/S splash

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Very nice! First ever shave with Schafmilch. I can see why folks like it. It is, perhaps, the easiest soap I've ever lathered, EVAH. While it is not as slick at Tabac or Cella, it is slick enough, and the shave was excellent. Face felt excellent afterwards.

I have not used a med prep in years. My first impression this morning was, "Dang, this thing is smooth!" I don't know if it's as sharp as other blades I use, but sharp enough, but it shaves on #1 like almost every other blade shaves on shave #2. I have no idea how they achieve that, but this would be a great beginner blade, IMO, just for that reason.

2021-09-18_shave.jpg

I have not used a med prep in years. My first impression this morning was, "Dang, this thing is smooth!" I don't know if it's as sharp as other blades I use, but sharp enough, but it shaves on #1 like almost every other blade shaves on shave #2. I have no idea how they achieve that, but this would be a great beginner blade, IMO, just for that reason.
Med Prep + Tech is a great combo. You are probably getting that smoothness from the "Comfort Coating" which is put on fairly thick. On subsequent shaves with that blade, it should feel sharper and it should last a fair bit longer than average.

20210917_083815.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1947 Aristocrat Gold
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. Great razor/blade combo.

Razor: 1958 D2 Gillette TV Special (Super Speed)
Blade: US Personna Lab Blue, from 2013 or so (2)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: RazoRock Acqua
Rating: 9.8

This morning's shave on 2 days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no nicks. However, I noticed some irritation when working the lather on my face with the brush, before even using the razor. I'm not sure why this soap irritated me today, so I plan to use Proraso Green next time to hopefully give my face a break (which maybe just hides the problem).

Today's shave.

Mach 3 razor with the Taylor Of Old Bond shaving cream

Shave score, 4/10

Reason for that score: Don't know what the hell went wrong this morning but the shave was rather mediocre and I got a couple of nicks on my chin. Had to do several passes to get something resembling a half-decent shave. The ridiculous lubricating strip left my face all gunked up and became rather 'stringy'. Took some time to clean off.

Ah well, I suppose we all have a bad shave day from time to time.

Jason.

Top Bottom