What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

GMUK
Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: WSP Formula T Sandalwood
Rating: 9.8

First shave with Wizamet in the Dart and it was BBS and a very comfortable shave. I opened up a couple of weepers from yesterday, so again not a 10 but still a very good shave.

The Medically-Induced-Beard-Off, brought to you by:
tempImage6ywwao.jpg

Today it was time for about 12 days of growth to finally be shaved. I had a procedure on the right side of my face which prevented me from shaving before and after, for a while. Hence, the "Medically Induced Beard."

I went for a showdown of open combs to take down the beard, and then finished everything off with the postwar Tech.

Razors: New SC, FOCS, Postwar Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Lather: Tabac
Brush: Razorock Tricolore synthetic
Aftershave Splash: Proraso Green
Balm: Nivea cooling

The New SC was up first on the left side, and it was obvious from the beginning this was going to be stiff competition for the FOCS. The SC required short strokes and plenty of rinsing due to the amount of stubble, but it was such a great tool for the job. It's heft and rigidity both made it a fine implement.

The FOCS took over for the right side, and didn't fare as well. It seemed to want to slide over everything rather than really cut efficiently. Overall, I realize I should have tried a steeper angle with both razors, since that would have put the blade more at the skin level rather than possibly catching hairs higher up above the skin. This razor, being a slant, also made it tough to line up the sideburn and negotiate the area that is healing up without disturbing it.

So I switched the blade back to the New SC and took care of the mustache and goatee area without incident. Then the baton was handed to the Tech for a WTG and XTG pass to wrap it up.

Having a beard for the first time in 10 years recalibrated my sensitivity to having whiskers around; so I didn't even try for a really close shave. Even a DFS almost everywhere felt like glass by comparison! It was great to shave again. I won't even put a number on this one.

Lessons: the New SC is awesome at this task and I was glad to actually get to put an open comb to its intended use. Better still would have been my Feather SS shavette, but I didn't want to mess around with it today. Better even still would have been to start with electric clippers, which I would definitely do the next time I have a Medically Induced Beard, or any other kind, that needs to disappear! I can cross this off my shaving bucket list and just do it the efficient way next time.

Happy shaves, all!

1614284617874.jpeg
Brush: Chisel & Hound / 26mm Declaration Grooming B10
Soap: Ariana & Evans - Amber Rose
Razor: Rockwell 6C / R4
Blade: Gillette Platinum Plus NOS

9/10: Just a tad below perfection as this was very rushed, and I didn’t have time to buff my usual spots. Great way to start the day.

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Simpson Emperor 3
- Razor: Like Grandpa Grooming (Karve B plate)
- Blade: Polsilver SI (3)
- Soap: Stirling Executive Man
- Aftershave: Stirling Mountain Man AS
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Excellent smooth shave.

Polsilvers are fantastic blades. Too bad they are so expensive and I don’t have many left. Wizamets seem to be the same (or close enough) which is good. 👍

Really digging the Like Grandpa. Not sure it is better than my Rockwell 6S, so I am using both interchangeably. Happy problem. 😁

The Simpson Emperor 3 Super is a bit small for me, but it is a great face lathering brush. Splays very well and is super soft with good backbone.

9.5/10
C5A4C1FF-D36C-43EA-832C-14A9B288FEE8.jpeg

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
One pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot Campiono 309 5/8​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Custom Prototype Brush - Synthetic​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave Balm: Proraso White Alcohol Free After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
10/10 DFS! BBS! No nicks!
  • Just a hint of feedback when applying my AS
  • A nice turnaround after yesterday's disaster
  • A Proraso White kind of day.....

Last edited:
Soap: PdP Bergamot & Thyme
Blade: Polsilver SI (1), incredible blade sharp yet very smooth
Brush: Zenith Large Boar
Razor: Timeless Ti SB .95, the only razor I own now
Post Shave: PdP Bergamot & Thyme Balm, Pinaud Clubman

Really great shave very smooth zero irritation, no feed back when applying the Pinaud Clubman
10/10 there are a few blades I really like

Personna Crystal & Med Prep
Voskhods
Feathers
but my favorites are my Polsilvers, good thing I have 250 of them.
E0E46CF0-73E2-4474-B7ED-15428CF1EF47.jpeg

Soap: Arko
Razor: Rolls Razor
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Got a weeper on my neck on the last few strokes. Yup, of course. A nice irritation free shave with the rolls. Could have gone for a cleanup pass but like, it's nighttime. Who cares.

9/10

Fri 26th SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Abysso
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade KAI 4th (Mysterious KAI Blades PIF Participation)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + TGS Abysso
Good soap. Nice scent and strength. Quality and performance are very satisfactory too...
Shave with razor paired with the blade is still good but noticeably reduced smoothness and efficiency. Still comfortable for 3passes for a mostly bbs to dfs result with 1 micro creeper. Rating 9.7/10
20210225_194841.jpg

20210226_073334.jpg

Razor: Gillette Tech k4
blade: Personna blue (US made)
soap: Mike‘s barbershop
brush:every ready 3 step 200, with 24mm full moon knot
post shave: Jack Black moisturizer and FAB a.s.

Best! Shave! Ever! The full moon knot is next level, perfect in every way for me. First time with the personna Blades, glad I bought 200 of them! the Tech just works for me. 10/10
DB929613-7151-49D6-9F5D-BA00E03F1576.jpeg

Prep: Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRX Shavette
Blade: Bolzano Superinox Half Blade (D3)
Brush: Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap : Haslinger Coconut
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Fa Men AS Lotion
Rating : 9.85/10
Bolzano Superinox half blade is still very sharp and smooth, hence will keep using it till it gives me fantastic shaves :001_wub:
Very comfortable and nice BBS in 2.5 passes !

Παρασκευή. Πολλά με περιμένουν το Σ/Κ, ακόμη και κάρβουνα...

Razor: Blackland Blackbird OC
Blade : BiC (5)
Soap : Stirling / Mountain Man
Brush: Dscosmetics 26mm SHD Black Badger fan.

WTG=>XTG=> DFS 10.0/10.0

Muhle r41
Gillette minora pink wrapper (4)
AOS sandalwood pre shave
AOS Oud shaving cream
Acne wash then blackhead scrub
Cold rinse, alum block
Cold rinse, AOS sandalwood aftershave

overall 9.5/10 BBS shave. Really took my time today to get some perfection in my shave. Managed to nick my upper lip just a tiny bit tho, so there’s that oops. Almost like a weeper kind of cut surprisingly. Grateful for that although lol. Dang r41 will bite you if you don’t leash it just a bit

Soap: Wilkinson puck (blue tub)
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Mühle (3rd shave)
AS: Nivea Men - Sensitive - after shave balm

My first BBS, in 2 passes. (After some experimentation, I found a good way to hold the rasor more firm for a stable and effective angle on the ATG without adding pressure). So now I'll be practicing this for some more days to get routine. But I probably won't be searching for BBS day after day. Today at least I enjoyed the return of some resistance on my cheeks after 3+ hours more than the BBS feeling on my cheeks.

score: 10 after 2 passes

ARKO
Omega 10048
Edwin Jagger 3One6
Perma Sharp (1st use)
TOBS Sandalwood

Loaded the brush a bit longer than usual and whipped up a shedload of lovely, slick lather. Razor and blade worked well together but that large blade-gap can make this razor a bit uncomfortable. A splash of Sandalwood highlighted a few spots of irritation but I smell great :)

Score: 8/10

Top Bottom