What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Prep:
Proraso Red preshave and a warm damp brush
Razor:
Rockwell 6C, R4 for pass 1 and 2, R2 for pass 3
Cream:
Proraso White
Brush:
Parker badger brush
Blade:
Nacet (2)
Passes:
Cleanup:
Warm damp towel and alum block
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9/10, DFS except for the usual trouble spots on the neck. No cuts, nicks, or weepers.

Soap: MWF
Brush: Omega 10066
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
AS: Chiseled Face Santa Paula

9/10

39078C53-B15C-4C81-836B-E5032385CAE2.jpeg

A handsome Slim, LMcC!

Today on a 24-hour beard:

Gillette Red Tip from '56, chambered with a Personna Lab Blue blade (4)

Palmolive Classic cream

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

After my workout and hot shower, spread a little Palmolive on my face and throat, lathered there, and deployed the Red Tip for its last use this month. Since this was a 24-hour beard, I kept it to 2 passes, WTG and ATG with a tiny bit of cleanup. Nowhere near BBS, of course, but clean and smooth.

Verdict: 9.5.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, Feb 25th 2021

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant- MFG 2016> great high efficentcy mid range slant, enjoyed this razor from day 1 and bought a extra head just in case(1st razor to get a true BBS with back in 2017). Very affordable and worth it to myself. 2 pass shave razor.
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)- excellent blade, sharp & smooth + good longevity.
Soap: Razorock XXX- nice mid range clean scent, excellent lather qualities. Good post feel shave.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot, "Sagrada famila" excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, good scrub + good lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/ 10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my RR 37 slant + Gillette Nacet blade.

DE SOTD, Thur, Feb 25th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
MdC Fougere, T2, Personna Platinum (6), AS-D2, and 4711. 10

Ever get a 45 where you like both sides, and you keep flipping it and playing it over and over? That is my shaving drill. The only variation is that one day it's the T2 and the day after is the BK4. Flip and repeat.

Razor: GEM Feather Weight
Blade: GEM - Carbon (5)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD-Fan) 24mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Skin EX (Toner)
Additional Care:
Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Lotion EX
A933CE19-C43F-487D-BE7C-0A562277F9B4.jpeg
Shave Rating:10/10
Feather Weight punching above its class
For some reason I’ve been looking forward to this shave for a week but had a couple of new 1914s that distracted me. When you have a large rotation of razors, some like my Feather Weight, tend to get missed in the shadows.
Not only was I all hyped for my Feather Weight shave, but I was curious to see how it compared to the 1914s with the GEM Carbon blade. Even though it’s known as a mild shaver I took great care in keeping focused, and trying to shave with as little pressure as possible just to see how it would react.
Well “blow me down”. I was rinsing my face before the third pass, and I was already a total BBS. Even my neck!😯
Gentle 🪒 + Carbon blade = 2 pass BBS ❤️
Im also pretty sure that if I was only allowed to own one shaving soap...this would be the one!

“salutant te qui ad radi”

- Face Prep: Clinique for Men Face Soap.
- Pre-shave: Residual face soap.
- Soap: Gillette Foamy shave cream.
- Bowl: My face.
- Brush: My fingers.
- Razor: Rockwell 6S/R4.
- Blade: Astra SP (3).
- Aftershave: American Crew Revitalizing Toner.
- Accompaniment: AM radio via the Grundig AM/FM/SW.

...and now for something completely different!

Experience: In a big hurry today, so grabbed the travel can of Foamy that I gave to my son a while back. I hadn't used canned cream in many years except when traveling. I didn't know what to expect, so I left the suds from my face soap on, lathered up and deployed the steel.

Impressions: This stuff is really different. The blade cut through with ease, neither riding over the beard nor chattering. I quickly found out there's no residual slickness; the pass took everything off the skin and I realized that trying to go over plowed ground would be unwise. The first pass was very good though, and I could've stopped right there but for some patches of stubble. For the second pass, I had to wet my face again, it having been left essentially dry From the first pass. I went mostly XTG, and my face felt pretty good so I rinsed, patted dry, and applied the aftershave. I expected some sting given the completeness. Hmmm, virtually no feedback! I got a DCS, acceptably smooth and feeling fine. I can see why canned cream was developed; it's very efficient for the man hustling to get to work. I won't be converting to it, but nice to have it available for those rushed shaves.

Rating: 9.9/10 with exceptional comfort.

IMG_0213.jpeg

Decided I needed a another change this morning

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, PAA Unscented Cube, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Schick Proline P30
Soap: Oleo Soap Works Seibo Dominican Chocolate
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery G-20 Scuttle
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 pass BBS shave with touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Nice mindless shave.

Thursday morning shave, 6/10, one cut when I put the razor to my right cheek to go ATG foolishly I pressed the blade in a bit, what a dummy! Styptic coming out always knocks down the score:

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Feather DX Japanese style
Blade: Proline P-30 (6)- getting duller, perhaps that led to me using pressure where it was not called for
Brush: Two today- Zenith P2 low-cost boar and Kent Infinity Silvertex small- Yesterday I tried the Kent with ARKO, so today I tried it lathering from a decent size puck. Again, the lack of splayability made the small Kent problematic. The knot just shifts sideways unless you apply a lot of pressure and push it directly down. For comparison the larger knotted Yaqi Sagrada Familia I have splays fine. The Kent Silvertex bristles are nice with quite soft tips. The large size may be much better as @never-stop-learning reported. The Zenith was easier to use, costs less, and although stiff when dry, after soaking gets quite soft.
Soap: Stirling Varen- nice working soap, but I'm not sure the scent would please everyone
Post-shave: cold rinse, styptic for the cut, Barbasol Brisk AS

Hope you all have better shaves than I did today :001_rolle.

PXL_20210225_155250949.jpg

was seriously considering the kent synth. any idea how many millimeters that one is????

camo
The Kent Infinity 1- the smaller size, and the one I have, is about a 21/22mm knot. I'm sorry, but I don't have a micrometer here to measure it more precisely. I wouldn't recommend the small size; I am thinking of returning it. IMO the knot is just not wide enough to splay properly. It did, however, work well to lather in a bowl and paint. For that, I guess it's fine. But, that's not how I usually shave.

As a face latherer, I like a brush to splay readily when swirled in the soap tub, and again on my face. I do quite like the Kent bristles themselves. They have some backbone at the base of the bristle and then morph into soft tips. The faux badger dye job I could easily live without, but that's no different than a lot of boar brushes. Overall, these newer synthetic bristles are leaps ahead of the ones I tried even a few years ago- those felt more like flimsy hair brush bristles. And, unlike a few synthetics I've tried recently, this Kent did not spray lather all over the mirror. @never-stop-learning reported that the large size had no issue splaying. Hope this helps.

- Face Prep: Clinique for Men Face Soap.
- Pre-shave: Residual face soap.
- Soap: Gillette Foamy shave cream.
- Bowl: My face.
- Brush: My fingers.
- Razor: Rockwell 6S/R4.
- Blade: Astra SP (3).
- Aftershave: American Crew Revitalizing Toner.
- Accompaniment: AM radio via the Grundig AM/FM/SW.

...and now for something completely different!

Experience: In a big hurry today, so grabbed the travel can of Foamy that I gave to my son a while back. I hadn't used canned cream in many years except when traveling. I didn't know what to expect, so I left the suds from my face soap on, lathered up and deployed the steel.

Impressions: This stuff is really different. The blade cut through with ease, neither riding over the beard nor chattering. I quickly found out there's no residual slickness; the pass took everything off the skin and I realized that trying to go over plowed ground would be unwise. The first pass was very good though, and I could've stopped right there but for some patches of stubble. For the second pass, I had to wet my face again, it having been left essentially dry From the first pass. I went mostly XTG, and my face felt pretty good so I rinsed, patted dry, and applied the aftershave. I expected some sting given the completeness. Hmmm, virtually no feedback! I got a DCS, acceptably smooth and feeling fine. I can see why canned cream was developed; it's very efficient for the man hustling to get to work. I won't be converting to it, but nice to have it available for those rushed shaves.

Rating: 9.9/10 with exceptional comfort.

View attachment 1228257
But the real question is...what was playing on the radio?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thursday morning shave, 6/10, one cut when I put the razor to my right cheek to go ATG foolishly I pressed the blade in a bit, what a dummy! Styptic coming out always knocks down the score:

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Feather DX Japanese style
Blade: Proline P-30 (6)- getting duller, perhaps that led to me using pressure where it was not called for
Brush: Two today- Zenith P2 low-cost boar and Kent Infinity Silvertex small- Yesterday I tried the Kent with ARKO, so today I tried it lathering from a decent size puck. Again, the lack of splayability made the small Kent problematic. The knot just shifts sideways unless you apply a lot of pressure and push it directly down. For comparison the larger knotted Yaqi Sagrada Familia I have splays fine. The Kent Silvertex bristles are nice with quite soft tips. The large size may be much better as @never-stop-learning reported. The Zenith was easier to use, costs less, and although stiff when dry, after soaking gets quite soft.
Soap: Stirling Varen- nice working soap, but I'm not sure the scent would please everyone
Post-shave: cold rinse, styptic for the cut, Barbasol Brisk AS

Hope you all have better shaves than I did today :001_rolle.

View attachment 1228262
Ouch.....never pleasant when blood is drawn.

Regarding the Kent Infinity Plus brush: The Plus size did splay fairly readily but it did have more 'scritch' than I normally care for. I'm hoping that it mellows a bit after a couple more shaves. :)

20210224_083443.jpg

Razor: Personna Stainless Steel Injector razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Supply Silvertip Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. BBS! :badger: :badger: :badger:

Top Bottom