What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Merkur 34C HD, from 2020 and made after Merkur redesigned their razor head casting molds
Blade: US Personna "Lab Blue" in blue wrappers from a box labeled Energizer, c.2013 (shave 2)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 9.5

This morning's shave after two days of growth. Great shave today after some extra effort (buffing and touch-ups); deducting 0.3 from the rating. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes and buffing/touch-ups. One nick next to the Adam's apple; deducting 0.1 from the rating. No burning or irritation, but dry air today created a need to apply more lather during the shave; deducting 0.1 from the rating.

Today ended up being a back-to-back comparison/shave-off between the old 2013 razor head version of the Merkur 23C (Wednesday) and the new razor head version of the Merkur 34C HD (today). Before the shave, I compared the 23C and 34C heads side by side, and to me, the new version of the Merkur safety bar head (on the 34C) appeared to have noticeably less blade gap than the old version of the head (the 23C). This contributed to the more mild feel of the 34C today, relative to the 23C.

Based on this comparison, for me, I prefer my older 23C to my newer 34C based on the 23C's more aggressive profile. I also noticed that the knurling on my 23C handle is deeper and grippier than the knurling on my 34C.

To fellow B&B members: do any of you have both the old and new versions of the 34C or 23C, and if so, do you notice differences? Do you prefer the old or new versions?

RR GC. 84 JAWS

Astra

Parker

Avon

9.6/10

IMG_20210226_184219.jpg

cartoon1614277269486.jpg

Razor: Schick L2 Stick Schick
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Bay Patchouli Grapefruit
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4/R3)
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (1)
Brush: Simpson's Trafalgar T3
Soap: Proraso "Blue" Cream
Rating: 9.9

I have a few blades I've kept in rotation, and used exclusively, for some time now: the Gillette Nacet, the Personna Crystal and the Personna Lab Blue. The Crystal has been my favorite for a long time, the Lab Blue my least favorite. After another rough-ish shave with a Lab Blue a couple days ago I decided to try an Astra Superior Stainless. The Razor Blades Testing site shows the two blades have very similar numbers so I thought the Astra would be a good bet... Turns out it was.

I did one pass with the R4 and one pass with the R3 and I was done. The Astra SS was super smooth and comfortable, which I value even more than overall closeness (I'm not one to chase BBS). In short, it was just a joy to shave with. It's currently a shave-sample of one, but if I keep getting shaves like this the Astra SS will boot the Lab Blues, possibly even the Nacets, out of my rotation.

Last edited:
Pre Shave: Warm Shower, PAA Unscented Cube, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Schick Proline P30 (2)
Soap: Arianna & Evans Kaitzen Base Asian Pear
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery G-20 Scuttle
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 pass BBS shave with touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Nice mindless shave.

Proraso Pre Shave White
WSP Formula T Barbershop Soap
Semogue 830 Boar Brush
Gillette Slim Adjustable H1
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Shave Nation Alum Stick
Baxters Pre/Post Tonic after the last rinse
Clubman Pinaud Whiskey Woods

I rate my shave a 9/10, with one little weeper, at the corner of my mouth where I have some bumps.

Overall one of my best shaves yet, my technique is definitely improving.
proxy.php

Sent from Banjo_Billy using Tapatalk

- Face Prep: Shower with La Toja Magno soap.
- Pre-shave: Proraso Red.
- Soap: Stirling Spice.
- Bowl: Captain's Choice Ceramic (Cobalt).
- Brush: Simpson's #58 Best.
- Razor: Rockwell 6S/R4.
- Blade: Astra SP (4).
- Aftershave: American Crew Revitalizing Toner.
- Accompaniment: AM radio via the Grundig AM/FM/SW.

Experience: Back to my usual set today, and got a good 2-pass shave with one 'stinger' under my jaw. There remains a small red area there, and super smooth compared to surrounding skin. I think I made a blade-angle error, but no blood appeared.

Rating: 9.25/10

Clubman Friday morning shave, 9/10, had to shave around the cut I got yesterday, but otherwise smooth and close:

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Feather DX Japanese style
Blade: Proline P-30 (7)- shaved okay still
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 in best- a great smaller all around brush
Soap: Cella Extra EXtra Bio- a very nice vegan soap
Post-shave: cold rinse, Clubman AS, Nivea Face Lotion SPF 15

Happy Friday!

PXL_20210226_181418944.jpg

Soap: Arko
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Straight shave #27

First shave with the TI. Was saving it for shave #30 but I'll be traveling the day after tomorrow (I travel with DE) and couldn't wait. Couldn't be happier with it!

I don't think I'll get into buying straight razors as much as I have with DE, but we shall see.

Psych. Just said those famous last words. LOL who even says that.

10/10. No irritation/weepers DFS

Razor: Merkur 34C HD, from 2020 and made after Merkur redesigned their razor head casting molds
Blade: US Personna "Lab Blue" in blue wrappers from a box labeled Energizer, c.2013 (shave 2)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 9.5

This morning's shave after two days of growth. Great shave today after some extra effort (buffing and touch-ups); deducting 0.3 from the rating. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes and buffing/touch-ups. One nick next to the Adam's apple; deducting 0.1 from the rating. No burning or irritation, but dry air today created a need to apply more lather during the shave; deducting 0.1 from the rating.

Today ended up being a back-to-back comparison/shave-off between the old 2013 razor head version of the Merkur 23C (Wednesday) and the new razor head version of the Merkur 34C HD (today). Before the shave, I compared the 23C and 34C heads side by side, and to me, the new version of the Merkur safety bar head (on the 34C) appeared to have noticeably less blade gap than the old version of the head (the 23C). This contributed to the more mild feel of the 34C today, relative to the 23C.

Based on this comparison, for me, I prefer my older 23C to my newer 34C based on the 23C's more aggressive profile. I also noticed that the knurling on my 23C handle is deeper and grippier than the knurling on my 34C.

To fellow B&B members: do any of you have both the old and new versions of the 34C or 23C, and if so, do you notice differences? Do you prefer the old or new versions?
I have the old 34C and 23C. The heads look identical but they give (to me) completely different kinds of shaves. The 23C has always been more efficient for me but the 34C the more comfortable. The handles make all the difference in the world.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

- Prep: Hot washcloth
- Brush: Kent BK8 Silvertip
- Razor: Red Tip SS
- Blade: Gillette Goal SS (2)
- Soap: Stirling Executive Man
- Aftershave: B&M Hallows balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

An excellent shave with my new Kent brush. It is not nearly as floppy as I had expected. Very soft tips and an excellent face lathering brush. It has enough backbone to be useable for bowl or face lathering for me. It isn’t a Chubby! Too bad Kent is only doing synthetic brushes moving forward.

Only a couple of shaves left in my Executive Man sample, so I might as well finish it off. Very nice scent.

No weepers or irritation. Nice close shave.

9/10

Last edited:
GMUK
Razor: Timeless .95 scalloped
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Black
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: Signature Soaps Caledonia
Rating: 10

An excellent shave with the 7 o'clock Black in the Timeless. It was smooth, very comfortable and BBS all over. Signature Soaps are some of the very best I have in my den. A very pleasurable shave today with these products.

My Friday (Late) Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Ralf Aust 6/8" Full Hollow Spanish Point - Olivewood (First time using!)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Rudy Vey Design w/ Synbad Synthetic​
Soap: Grooming Dept Shaving Soap, Mallard Amore​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave Balm: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, chamomile, shea butter, vitamin E​
10/10 DFS! Almost BBS! No irritation!
  • No hint of feedback when applying my AS. This AS always gives me a little feedback....
  • Slight nick on my mistake from two days ago, but disappeared with my rinse
  • Wow! First time using this razor and it was excellent! I ordered this direct I am very pleased with it. I might need to investigate some more of his (after I recover from the cost....)
  • I love the performance of this soap! I like the aroma. The strength and duration of the scent are a little too much for me - maybe it will tone down a little with time
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom