What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender (shave stick)
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 9.5/10 - Bit of a rushed shave with little prep, but still got a smooth shave with almost no irritation.

Razor - Rockwell 6S Plate 3
Blade - Gilette Silver Blue (2)
Brush - Yaqi White handle
Preshave - Proraso Blue
Lather - Goodfellas Smile Sea Citrus
Balm - witch hazel then Proraso Blue
Aftershave - Proraso Red lotion.

Very close, very smooth, no damage, no irritation - has to be a 10!

`aily Shave: 28 October 2020

DSCF2306.JPG

Prep:
Dial Liquid Soap face wash
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Viking ‘uber’ lather using rain water
Brush:
Omega 11126
Blade:
Gillette Nacet / Blade #4 / Shave #3
Passes:
WTG and ATG
Cleanup:
Wipe face dry and then Witch Hazel wipe
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman
Rating:
9.5 BBS An absolutely perfect shave this cool damp rainy morning. No stubble, nicks, or weepers at all. My lather was two watery this morning from letting the bush soak to long. Won't do that tomorrow.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 28th, Wed, 2020

Razor: Gillette New long comb with ball end handle-Mfg 1930's, mid range, Canadian variant. Nice feeling razor IMO.
Blade: Gillette silver blue (6) Excellent blade, Sharp & Smooth, one of my favorite of DE blades.
Soap: Williams mug soap- great soap when applied a little more pastier than some croaps & hard soaps. Reasonable slickness.
Brush:Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle-excellent brush for lathering and cloud like soft tips. Very enjoyable brush.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Pinauld Clubman after shave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5 / 10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17: Excellent shave with my Gillette New long OC & GSB.

DE SOTD,Wed, OCt 28th, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Extensive pre-shave preparation: splashing hot water on face
Lather: TOBS sandalwood soap and a Kent BK4
Shave: three passes with an Israeli Personna (9) in an Edwin Jagger DE89
Shower
Aftershave: 4711 cologne

9.5/10. Comfy and BBS, plus I'll smell unobtrusively nice for a brief while.

Fatip OC Mk1 - Little One
Feather (2)
RR Bruce synth brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Speick stick in dish
Dickinson's witch hazel
Speick splash

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Notes:
  • Speick stick works well sliced into coins and layered in a dish
  • Today's shave equipment was randomly selected -- do you want to play a game?

Pre-shave:-
Wrights Coal Tar Soap

Bowl/Scuttle:- Earthenware

Br
ush:- Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Palmolive shave stick

Razor/Blade:- Black Wilkinson and Treet
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Mild razor, sharp blade, ok shave 8/10

P1030049.JPG

Razor: GEM G-Bar
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (2)
Brush: Spiffo D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD Fan)
Pre-Shave: Face Wash and Scrub
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli - Aghi Di Pino (pine needles)
Aftershave: Collin’s - Spiked Canon
Additional Care:
Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
0B484F3C-7BB3-4FC7-A037-C37CB0DA3A40.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Take a Hike!
Cool weather is here and my post shave feeling is all fresh and outdoorsy. Pine needles, cedar and cloves. When you smell like a hike, it makes you want to go out on one.

I didn’t realize this was only my second shave with my G-Bar. I think it may be a slightly smoother shave than the GEM PushButton which I used on my last shave.
Between the soap and the brush I ended up with enough lather to shave the whole forum. I only put half a teaspoon in my bowl...wow. The brush is a lather monster. I had to scrape some off on the edge of the bowl just so I could see my face. Not only does this brush hold tons of lather, it doesn’t try to hold on to it. It just keeps giving.

I did notice something felt a bit different during my shave until it came to me, I forgot my preshave ritual. Unlike most here, I scrub my face and treat it with Thayers toner and Hyaluronic Acid before I shave instead of after. Ive been doing this for at least six months and swear it toughens your skin to any rough blade action during the shave and keeps you from getting any kind of razor burn. My theory is to feed your face before the shave rather than after the damage has been done. Like closing the barn doors after the horses have run away. Anyway, that’s my system and I’m sticking to it.

Im off on my daily hike. Going to watch the Chinook salmon spawning in the creek.

Prep: VMV preshave facial scrub
Pre Shave: Grooming Dept unscented with menthol
Razor: Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor
Blade: Gillette 7oclock yellow (3)
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Soap: Berrister and Mann Ferox
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann balm unscented.
Rating : 9.5/10

Havent been enjoying my shaves with the Charcoal Goods everyday razor so today I put a shim in it. The shave was better with the shim. Smooth and way better efficiency. Didnt have to do plenty of buffing. No cuts, nicks, weepers and irritation. Enjoyed my shave with the shim. Hoping that CG will release a level 2 everyday razor.
View attachment 1174621
Do you place the shim under or on top of the blade you’re using?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel and Shave Secret
Blade: Personna Med Prep #1
Razor: Muhle R41
Brush: VDH
Soap: GFT sandalwood
Aftershave: alum, Thayers rose witch hazel

The software and hardware I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: hot WTG, XTG, ATG. And an extra ATG pass on my jawline and chin.

Quite possible the best blade I've used so far. A little tuggy on the first pass, but very close and very smooth shave. Nice blade feel with the R41. No blood (not counting the one little weeper). There was a little redness on my neck but zero alum burn, so I'm going with no irritation.

By far the worst cream I've used so far. First time I've tried GFT sandalwood. It has no slickness. The razor did not glide over my skin, it kept sticking to it (not sure how else to describe it). That hasn't happened with the other creams I've tried, including GFT rose and GFT almond. Tried reloading with more water. Tried reloading with less water. Tried switching to lukewarm water. No slickness. Weird.

👍

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Wednesday morning shave

Blade: Griffon 60
Brush: Badger
Soap: Prorasso Green

Theres a difference in what I think is sharp and how it shaves. A close shave, but not as smooth and efficient. Things to think about as I continue to learn about honing. Happy Wednesday
506AD4E1-5584-49B7-B429-447CC949D4C0.jpeg

8/10

cartoon1603820090559.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Duke Cannon Supply Company Ice Cold Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten
20201027_075525.jpg

Shave of the Day 10-28-2020
  • Soap - Noble Otter Noir et Vanille
  • Razor - Timeless Titanium Razor .95 plate
  • Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
  • Brush - Oumo Mother lode synthetic Brush
  • Aftershave - Noble Otter Noir et Vanille
Todays shave was a 6/10. I think either my wolfman has ruined other de razors for me, or the timeless .95 plate was just too aggressive for me. I ended up with 4 weepers from 2 passes with the Timeless razor. It's well designed and is lighter then expected. However I'll be returning it and may consider trying out the .68 plate at some point in the future.

sotd-wed-10282020.jpg

Prep: Warm shower and Dove hand cremesoap to cleanse face
Pre shave: Proraso green
Creme: Palmolive Menthol
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Razor: Parker 24c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
Alum block: OSMA
Aftershave: Proraso Red Lotion

I'd rate the shave an 8/10 cause I didn't have long hairs since I only had shaved yesterday. I also had a small pimple bleed.

I was surprised at the palmolive menthol creme. A small almond sized dose created tons of lather, enough for 3 or 4 passes. It smells incredibly and the aroma gets stronger and stronger as you work the lather and add water. It is thirsty! It leaves the skin hydrated with a cool sensation like you've applied anesthetic on your face. Really loved the experience. Gonna get more tubes.

The omega pro 49 is getting softer and softer and i am liking it more and more. My only "complaint" was that i was expecting a more aggressive shave and that is maybe because of the wilkinson blade. It was its third shave and i also had the same issue yesterday with the lord l6. I was expecting it would be more aggressive with the parker 24c but that didn't happen. The shave was ok though. A small pimple bled but that's it. No irritation or any other issue.

It was my first time trying an alum block. What a great sensation that was! It stung a little bit but overall left my skin slick and free of bleeding or any other problem! Greatly recommended.

I followed up with the red proraso aftershave potion which smells amazing. No sting at all.

I have some questions for the more experienced shavers:

1. How can i clean my Parker razor in order for it to shine like it did when fresh out of the box? I tried some hand soap and warm water but that didn't help.

2. Which au de parfum fragrance would you recommend that resembles the sandal wood scent of the red proraso AS lotion?

3. What do you think about Wilkinson blades? Are they really mild or was it just me?

Top Bottom