What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

I had an autumnal shave today, using my new Feather AS-D2S with a new Feather blade, using Stirling Soap’s Hot Apple Cider soap. It was another good shave from the AS-D2, and the new Feather blade added to feel of the razor. This was another BBS shave, although I did have a little irritation on the neck from going for the BBS. My trickiest spot is below my Adam's apple where the hair seems to sprout in all directions at once. I used my Arko Nem Fig and Grapefruit cream, for a balm, as that works well with the apple scent from the soap.

Enjoy your shaves and stay save!

Razor: Feather AS-D2S
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: Stirling Soap - Hot Apple Cider
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar 3
Post-shave: Arko Nem Fig & Grapefruit
Shave bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

IMG_20201026_100944-01.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass SB (Plate B) w/Charcoal Goods Brass Torpedo handle
Blade: Kai SS (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Crown Shaving Company Aftershave Tonic

Perfect! DFS/BBS! No injuries to report. Don't know how the rest of the day will go, but the shave was grand.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20201027.jpg

48-hour beard today:

Merkur Progress, stopped down to 2 then 1.5 then 1; Personna Red blade (3)

Mix of Tabac and Trumper's Almond Cream

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Shower first, then a little Trumper's as a pre-shave, then I applied the Tabac (German razor, German soap!) and face-lathered up. For some reason my Merkur Progress now allows me to tighten it all the way down to nearly the "1" setting -- it stopped at about 2 before! -- so I opened the razor up to 2 for my first WTG pass on cheeks and throat. Setting 1.5 served for the lower lip and then pass 2 (ATG) on cheeks and throat. Finally Setting 1 for the final XTG throat pass and cleanup on the left side of my neck left me smooth and clean, near BBS, no irritation. Besides being beautiful, the Progress is a most effective razor. Verdict: 9.7.

Day 3 on the Personna Red and I had a mishap I have never had before. On about my 6th stroke this morning on my first pass which is my neck. It felt like I was almost digging the blade in. I stopped and looked at the razor and the knob had backed off a bit and the blade was not loose but certainly not tight.

Not sure why that happened. I tightened it up and not an issue again.

The rest of the shave was as expected and the scent to me is pleasent and almost missed as it's been a while.

7.2/10 (low score for the mishap)

KM

PXL_20201027_113650819.jpg

Today's shave: 10/27/2020

Prep: Dove face cleansing
Pre shave: Proraso White
Creme: Proraso White
Razor: Lord L6
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Wilkinson Pure Bristle
Aftershave: Noxzema Cool Carbon

Rating: 8

A tiny nick on my chin. I had 4 day stubble so the razor and blade selection was not optimal. It clearly took two passes. The first was not enough.

Apart from my set up being not sharp enough the shave was ok. No irritation. No other problems and i can tell my technique is getting better.

Cheers!
IMG_20201027_152207_336.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Tue, OCt 27th 2020

Razor: Tom White TNNSER 3D Printed- Mfg 2019> excellent razor, took a few shaves to dial it in, light weight & Designed in USA.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable life expectancy.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea- nice scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot, 24 mm syn- Sagrada Familia named after a famous Cathedral in Barcelona Spain, I visited the marvel.
Pre shave: Brush wash face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + Pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea after shave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with @twhite TNNSER 3D printed razor & Gem Coated blade.

OCtober 27th, Tue, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Splashed hot water on face,
Lathered with TOBS sandalwood soap using a Kent BK4,
Had a very pleasant three pass shave with an israeli Personna in an Edwin Jagger DE89,
Showered, and
Splashed on 4711 cologne as my aftershave.

10/10. The lather was perfect today, a necessary step in any great shave.

Tues shave rating.jpg

Soap
PAA Big Shave S’West
Brush
B&B Essential Boar
Razor
RR Stealth Slant Alum.
Blade
Lord SS
Aftershave
Thayers Rose Petal WH & Clubman
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
It is chilly down here today. Got down to 48 degrees last night.
So a warm water shave. Perfect 10 shave.

Razor: karve ss
Blade: Nacet
Brush: Wolf Whiskers with Shavemac 2 band silvertip
Soap: graveyard by the shaving club in K2
AS: leviathan aftershave balm
Rating: 9.5/10

the updated kaizen 2 was excellent.. very creamy and slick. The AS balm from barrister is top shelve and my face feels very hydrated..
09F64570-6CBF-4D2C-AA06-9D530CF1816A.jpeg

Razor: 1958 D2 Gillette TV Special (Super Speed)
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic
Soap: Stirling Coniferous
Rating: 9.0

Morning shave on a day and a half of growth. Near BBS or DFS++ after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; no irritation today, but three small nicks under the lower lip, so I deducted 1.0 from the rating when also factoring in minimal felt stubble ATG.

This is my first time using a vintage Super Speed. This one is like new, and I will post a pic next time.

My initial impressions are:
1. The shave and results from the TV Special felt similar to what I get from a Fatboy (and maybe a Slim) adjusted to 3 on the dial (but I usually set the Fatboy and Slim at 5 to 7).
2. There is much less blade feel with the TV Special, but also much lower efficiency, than what I experienced when using the 1941 Ranger Tech TTO. Shave angle on the 1941 Ranger Tech is also steeper.
3. This 1958 TTO head looks similar to my 1960 Fatboy head, not the flatter 1966 Slim head.
4. Overall, I think this will be a good daily shaver that will work on up to two days of stubble, but I will reach for the 1941 Ranger Tech when I need a perfect, smooth as glass BBS.

Eben Stone

Staff member
20201027_085540.jpg

Prep: hot towel and Shave Secret
Blade: Dorco ST301 #1
Razor: Muhle R89
Brush: VDH
Soap: GFT almond
Aftershave: alum, Thayers rose witch hazel

The software and hardware I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

4 pass (because 3 wasn't close): hot WTG, XTG, ATG, ATG. And an extra ATG pass (because my jawline was still rough) on the chin and jawline.

The blade seemed sharp but the R89, again (same story as yesterday), just isn't aggressive enough for me to get a close shave. Maybe it's my technique (I'm used to the R41) or maybe my skills suck. 5 passes on the chin and jawline and it's still rough.

The R89 has definitely given me a great appreciation for the R41. And the VDH brush, got nothing good to say.

For a positive note, the GFT almond smells good, really sweet scent.

👎

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Tuesday morning shave

Razor: Challenge Razor Works
Brush: Boar
Soap: Castle Forbes 1445

Great shave this fine Tuesday. Revisiting this cream after giving it a so-so endorsement recently. More so for the high cost and average performance, does the job. Post shave skin feeling slightly dry but comfortable. Happy Tuesday!

6A783A53-0D80-4987-81CA-87E531F21D2D.jpeg

8/10

Pre-shave:-
Pears green

Bowl/Scuttle:- Earthenware

Br
ush:- Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Home Brew

Razor/Blade:- Gillette tech and Supermax
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Good combination, I like my old Tech, the Supermax is a good blade, keeping it simple 11/10

(not good at math)

26a.jpg

Razor: Gillette The New Long Comb Gold
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten