What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

• Preshave: Lots of warm water (Unscented)
  • Soap: Stirling "Sheep" (Unscented)
  • Razor: Merkur 38C (Unscented)
  • Blade: Gillette Nacet (3) (Unscented)
  • Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3 (aka "The Lather Cannon")
  • Aftershave: Thayer's WH (Unscented), Leather & Wood (Unscen... Oh, wait... Sandalwood)
Pretty nice shave, overall. No nicks, no weepers (yea!) Shave number three on the Nacet was still quite smooth and effortless. Trouble Spots were troublesome, no surprises there. I trimmed off the blade tabs (ten-thousand kudos to whomever came up with that idea!) so I was able to nail the fuzzy bits unner my schnoz waaay faster and more comfortably... Très bien mon ami!! There was some very mild red splotchy-ness post shave but L&W contains alcohol which I suspect may have been the culprit and it was gone an hour later so, no big deal. Face is feeling great now that it's fully dry. Overall rating? I'd say 8.5 as I always want to leave room for improvement and the red splotches were kind of a bummer that bummed me out with their bummerishness.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Shave of the Day 10-28-2020
  • Soap - Noble Otter Noir et Vanille
  • Razor - Timeless Titanium Razor .95 plate
  • Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
  • Brush - Oumo Mother lode synthetic Brush
  • Aftershave - Noble Otter Noir et Vanille
Todays shave was a 6/10. I think either my wolfman has ruined other de razors for me, or the timeless .95 plate was just too aggressive for me. I ended up with 4 weepers from 2 passes with the Timeless razor. It's well designed and is lighter then expected. However I'll be returning it and may consider trying out the .68 plate at some point in the future.

View attachment 1174820

Sorry to hear about the .95 experience. I have the .68 with scalloped head and base in stainless steel and it's a mild yet efficient razor. I recently started pairing it with Kai SS blades and I've been getting wonderful shaves from it.

1603911485970.jpeg

Brush: Turn n’ Shave Shoat knot/ AP Shave Co. handle
Soap: Zingari Man The Explorer
Razor: Razorock Mamba
Blade: Voskhod

9/10: Just damn good for 19 hours’ growth.

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Soap face wash
Razor: Brass Karve SB B plate
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Zenith Manchurian 506A
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Styptic Pencil, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.75/10 Excellent BBS two pass shave, buffing on chin. Received two weepers on chin but no cuts or irritation, assume this is from using a new blade or maybe user error.

Sorry to hear about the .95 experience. I have the .68 with scalloped head and base in stainless steel and it's a mild yet efficient razor. I recently started pairing it with Kai SS blades and I've been getting wonderful shaves from it.
It's a great razor for sure, just too aggressive for my skin. I'd likely have better results with the .68 plate. But the other thing is that now my basis of comparison for shaving with a de is a wolfman and its incredibly smooth and efficient. I'll have to try the .68 at some point then report back.

Eben Stone

Staff member
A
How can i clean my Parker razor in order for it to shine like it did when fresh out of the box? I tried some hand soap and warm water but that didn't help

I clean my razor with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Works great. Dry it with a regular towel then wipe down with microfiber cloth. Shines like new.

So what could it be?? The razor? The creme? My technique?

Ask in the shave clinic forum. All those things you mentioned could be possible causes. It could be a long discussion.

Last edited:
- Prep: Shower and Proraso White preshave creme
- Brush: Spiffo super Badger
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 3)
- Blade: Ladas (3)
- Soap: PdP Bergamot and Thyme
- Aftershave: PdP Bergamot and Thyme balm
- Post Shave: Hyaluronic Acid

Not a bad shave as the Ladas was ready to be binned after 3 shaves. Great soap/balm and a fantastic Badger brush saved the day.

9/10

Eben Stone

Staff member
I ended up with 4 weepers from 2 passes with the Timeless razor.

Your saying that like it's a bad thing. Haha. Did you get any irritation? Nicks? Cuts? Abrasions? Do you use Alum? Any alum's revenge?

I usually ignore the first 10 or so little weepers and go solely on the alum burn to determine if I achieved an good, irritation free shave.

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller​
One pass shave w/ no touch-up​
Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8 Full Hollow Spanish Point​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted (‘rotten wood‘) Maple - Full Moon Synthetic 26mm​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.6/10 Very nice shave, no irritation, one "vanishing" nick...
  • For a one-pass SR shave, a very close even shave!
  • I got around my trouble areas nicely
  • I was surprised to see a nick. I don't know what happened. It actually disappeared with my warm water rinse
proxy.php

Prep: Warm shower and Dove hand cremesoap to cleanse face
Pre shave: Proraso green
Creme: Palmolive Menthol
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Razor: Parker 24c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
Alum block: OSMA
Aftershave: Proraso Red Lotion

I'd rate the shave an 8/10 cause I didn't have long hairs since I only had shaved yesterday. I also had a small pimple bleed.

I was surprised at the palmolive menthol creme. A small almond sized dose created tons of lather, enough for 3 or 4 passes. It smells incredibly and the aroma gets stronger and stronger as you work the lather and add water. It is thirsty! It leaves the skin hydrated with a cool sensation like you've applied anesthetic on your face. Really loved the experience. Gonna get more tubes.

The omega pro 49 is getting softer and softer and i am liking it more and more. My only "complaint" was that i was expecting a more aggressive shave and that is maybe because of the wilkinson blade. It was its third shave and i also had the same issue yesterday with the lord l6. I was expecting it would be more aggressive with the parker 24c but that didn't happen. The shave was ok though. A small pimple bled but that's it. No irritation or any other issue.

It was my first time trying an alum block. What a great sensation that was! It stung a little bit but overall left my skin slick and free of bleeding or any other problem! Greatly recommended.

I followed up with the red proraso aftershave potion which smells amazing. No sting at all.

I have some questions for the more experienced shavers:

1. How can i clean my Parker razor in order for it to shine like it did when fresh out of the box? I tried some hand soap and warm water but that didn't help.

2. Which au de parfum fragrance would you recommend that resembles the sandal wood scent of the red proraso AS lotion?

3. What do you think about Wilkinson blades? Are they really mild or was it just me?

Great beginning!

Have in mind, that in future your preferences will change a lot. i.e if you like aggressive shaving or not. If you like floppy brushes or not etc.

Concerning your questions.

1. I would recommend a very soft clothe maybe microfiber to use after you have washed it and is dry.
2. Sandalwood is subjective. I haven't found a real sandalwood scent until now. Concerning proraso maybe some other friends might help you. I do not like proraso scents.
3. Wilkinson blades are really mild and will give you a lot of shavings. Do not be afraid to try more aggressive blades with different razors. FOCS would be a great razor to try.

Top Bottom